cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m getting the below issue when I try to deploy a report with Dynamic parameters, when I deploy it with static parameters I’m not getting this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I’m getting the below issue when I try to deploy a crystal report with Dynamic parameters in BI Launch Pad, when I deploy the same report with static parameters I can deploy and run it. I have Restarted the BI server, still the issue exitno use. kindly help me on this issue.

“This error occurred: Adding Crystal Report "CrystalReport1.rpt" failed. The server with kind rptappserver returned an error result. Failed to copy the report file to the report object. Refreshing the report object properties might have failed. Failed to read data from report file CrystalReport1. Reason: Failed to read parameter object”.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member194503
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have faced the same problem and I resolved it. You need to log in to the Crystal Server (CRS) from the Business View Manager.Crystal's Dynamic Parameters are handled through the Business View Manager (BVM).  When you promote the report, you need to make sure that you also promote all of the dependencies to get the correct objects added to the BVM/Repository.You probably need to have the full version of Crystal so that you can publish the report from there instead of logging into the CMC or BI Launchpad to publish the report.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BO does not run dynamic params through the report as would happen without BusinessObjects (BO) or Crystal Reports Server (CRS).  When you publish a report with dynamic parameters to BO/CRS, the prompt is published to the repository so that it can be accessed through the Business View Manager (which can be installed as part of the client tools).  In order for this to work a couple of things need to happen:

1.  You need to be sure that you check the "Update Repository" box on the Save As screen the first time you publish the report.

2.  Your BO/CRS user needs to have "view" access to the Crystal2013ReportApplicationServer in the Servers section in the CMC - in fact, the Everyone group should be given view access to the server in order for dynamic prompts to work correctly.

3.  In the Business View Manager, the Administrator user needs to give your user, or, even better, a Crystal Developers group full control access to the "Dynamic Cascading Prompts" folder.

Best practice for dynamic prompts in a BO/CRS environment is to actually create the prompts in the Business View Manager.  This will allow you to create a single data connection that can be reused and also create lists of values such that the same list or prompt can be reused by multiple reports.  If you just create the prompts in Crystal, you will end up with multiple data connections to the same database, the prompts will use the whole query for the reports to get the dynamic values instead of just a focused query to the lookup table that contains the values, and there ends up being lots of duplication and chaos.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christey,

Thanks for your reply.

I had deployed almost 20 reports with Dynamic parameters, I never faced this issue, recenty since last week I'm facing this kind of issue. I will elaborate little more on how I'm implementing this reports.

1) Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate is installed in my local machine along with SAP Crystal reports 2011 Add-on.

2) MY SQL database is installed.

3) In the BI server, with my windows AD account I'm logging into the server.

I'm implementing the crystal report in my machine, copying this report file then connecting the BI server then uploading this report.

I have written a small stored procedure to get the dynamic data and binding it in crystal report.

the steps you mentioned in your email, needs to verified at crystal server, right?

please help me.

Thanks,

Asiya

Former Member
0 Kudos

One would have to deep dive into this, but I have seen such issues if there lot of prompt groups for the parameter object. Please check in BVM if there are multiple prompt groups.

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you need to log in to the Crystal Server (CRS) from the Business View Manager.  The problem I think you're going to run into is that Crystal for VS is not set up to work with dynamic prompts from CRS and CRS does not work with dynamic prompts that have only been defined in the report.  You probably need to have the full version of Crystal so that you can publish the report from there instead of logging into the CMC or BI Launchpad to publish the report.

-Dell

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another thought is for you to download the trial version of Crystal Reports 2013 and use that to publish your report.  If it works, then the issue is definitely with the way you're using VS to create the reports without using CR 2013 to publish them.

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Asiya Begum,

Did you get this up and running ..Were you able to publish crystal reports with DCP in 2013 to 4.1 sucessfully ??

Regards

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

DCP is for deski reports. Not for crystal reports. What is the issue you are seeing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Below is the message i was thrown when i try to add a Simple Report with Prompt .

Adding Crystal Report "Report4.rpt" failed. The server with kind rptappserver returned an error result. Failed to copy the report file to the report object. Refreshing the report object properties might have failed. Failed to read data from report file Report4. Reason: Failed to read parameter object

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Crystal's Dynamic Parameters are handled through the Business View Manager (BVM).  When you promote the report, you need to make sure that you also promote all of the dependencies to get the correct objects added to the BVM/Repository.  To do this, you also need to have full control access to the "Dynamic Cascading Prompts" folder in the BVM (must be granted from the BVM - can't be done from the CMC.)

-Dell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you.

Altough  I didn't have BVM installed on my machine . I have the admin access through which i was able to create the Dynamic Cascading Prompts . I am looking to have BVM installed on my machine to get more control of the  Dynamic Cascading Prompts.

Regards,

satish.p