Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI 4.1 - IE11 Compatibility prior to SP3 availability question

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've come across the SAP Note stating that IE11 will be officially compatible with BI 4.1 beginning with SP3 at the end of March (SAP Note 1949010 – BusinessObjects Support for Internet Explorer 11 and SAP BusinessObjects Maintenance Schedule).  We are currently planning to in-place upgrade from 4.0 SP5 to 4.1 SP[insert unknown level here].[insert unknown patch level here].  I have BI 4.1 SP2 Patch 1 installed and running in a sandbox, and have been using IE11 without any known issues with BI LaunchPad, Explorer, Webi, Dashboards, CMC, etc...  From everything I know, IE11 is not a significant change from IE10, which 4.1 is already supporting...

So my question is basically, has anyone had any problems with IE11 in a 4.1 SP2 or SP1 install?  I know it's not 'officially' supported until SP3, however we need time to nail down and test a specific SP now, and not in 2 months.  My initial thinking is that IE11+4.1 SP2 is usable, but figured I'd ask here, too!

Thanks for any feedback!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys - We're experiencing minor issues ... as accidental experimenters.

We're on BI 4.1 SP2 & officially IE9, but with all on our network admins, IE10 and now IE11 is creeping onto users PCs.  Without Local Admin, users currently must open a helpdesk tix to downgrade IE and prevent auto-update.

IE11 v 4.1SP2 issues I've seen include:

Drag-n-drop not work in HTML Editor

Can’t select a cell to format, change formula … in HTML Editor

... I bet it's far from a exhaustive list

Tactically, users can downgrade IE to IE10 mode in F12 Developer Tools

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To add,

Also in IE11, you cannot select any value in the Webi Prompt screen in the List of Values section.  It just ignores the click.

Like Clay mentions, we were able to overcome this by switching Document Mode from IE-Edge (Default) to IE10.

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike and the rest,

Although this post was solved several months ago, I would like to share another IE11 limitation.

We have BO 4.1 SP3, users run BO reports embedded in SAP-Portal. When a user has IE11 installed, BO is not open properly in SAP-Portal.

From IE8 to IE10 there is no issue. With any other internet browser (Mozilla, Chrome) there is no issue.

Users can emulate a IE11 prior version through F12, but this is not feasible (many users won't understand that command).

We contacted SAP and they advised us that it's a Microsoft problem, not theirs.

So if anybody has IE11 and BO 4.1... good luck!

0 Kudos

Hi Alberto,

we have run into the same issue. It seems that when we deactivate the "run on compatibility" mode, it seems to work again on IE11. The question is, if the rest of the things you have on your Portal will continue to work.

Kind Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

It's been a long time since this post, but we currently upgrade from IE9 to IE11 and we are facing some issues.

We cannot acces inbox folder, this is the error we get from the IE console

and trying to use compatibility mode to IE9 gets worse (prompts not working...)

we are on 4.1 sp6

is there anyway to solve this issue?

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria, did you ever find a fix for this issue? I am having a similar problem and get the same error message in the IE console.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few months ago we upgraded to  BI 4.1 SP2 Patch3 and now we're finding that when trying to run a report in BI Launchpad, IE11 presents a blank page if ActiveX is the default mode in your preferences--even if you have installed the ActiveX plugin. This is not a problem in CMC, but I think it causes a related problem in HTML preview from Crystal Reports Designer. We also confirmed that using F12 in IE  to lower the document mode 'fixes' this, but that's not an acceptable solution for users.

We're aware of the SAP recommendation to upgrade to SAP 4.1 SP3 for IE11 compatibility, but SAP upgrades are our least favorite thing.

Here's a question that I know is pretty broad: Has anyone had to go from SP2 to SP3 in BI 4.1?  Was it 'smooth'?

Former Member
0 Kudos

By the way, we're on Win Server 2008 R2 with Apache, running Crystal Reports Server 2013 w/ a CMS DB in SQL Svr 2008 (no auditing)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an issue using BOBI 4.1 SP3 where a user is using IE 11.0.10 and not able to log off.

Even while on the CMC; attempting to terminate the user's session, the user session reestablishes connection and reappears like the Terminator or that creepy WOPR from "War Games".

I'm wondering if this is being experienced else where and if a solution has been identified.

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have personally not found this behavior. But I suspect that the problem might be related with parallel sessions in separate boxes of which some might have not been logged off correctly which lets one to login automatically.

Any other thoughts SCN members?

Former Member
0 Kudos

IE 11 compatibility is a mess with SAP BI 4 / 4.1

I suggest you to try in a testing environment first because is easy to find "compatibility issues"

We upgraded to BI 4 to sp9 looking for make it work on newer versions of IE with no success

Hope 4.1 works better.

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Silvestro,

My question was asked in January and a lot has changed.  We have gone to 4.1 SP4 with what seems to be no issues yet.  We of course do as much testing as we deem effective before hand, however yes it's a tough thing when it comes to browser compat.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

is the only way to make IE11 work with BOE is to upgrade our version to 4.1 SP3 or higher? We have online reports that are being run on IE11 browser, complaints were that report keeps on running unless I asked them to hit the ESC key on the keyboard. although it displays the correct report result, it is not very intuitive to our users. We are on BO 4.0 currently.

Is there a beta version of 4.1 avaialable?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

former_member581115
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm using IE11 with BI 4.1 SP4 and I've seen a limitation to view Webi docs in pdf format in reading mode.  With Mozilla it works as expected.

Has somebody seen that issue ?

Thx,

Christophe

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael

Kindly follow the settings & refer the snapshot in IE11 and then check.

1. To open the IE Developer Tools press F12
  2. On left side change to the options "Emulation"
  3. Change the "Documents modus" to 5
  4. Change the "Browser Agent" to "Internet Explorer 7"

BR

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

S Sriram & A Pandalai,

Thank you for the follow through.  I was not able to test your solution, because over the evening the issue has resolved itself.  Unfortunately, I do not have an explanation as to what corrected the issue.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Manny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael- we have tested BOBJ4.1 SP1 with IE11 and the WEBI reports will for sure not work. Also as everybody confirmed including SAP, SAP PAM document IE11 is not supported as of the latest packages available. It will be good to wait till SP3 is released.

also we saw a few issues with BOBJ4.1 Sp1

OLAP reports export limited to 65K rows - confirmed by SAP as a BUG thru OSS.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are on 4.1  SP3 Patch 2 and similarly IE11 is being updated though out. 

One problem we have is in webi docs.  The hierarchy expand + does not work.

Users have to now right click and select hierarchical navigation.

Dashboards no problems

But the biggest issue is that we host BI content in the SAP EP portal 7.3.1 SP7 and the detailed navigation is all jacked.  The hyperlinks don't align with the text and sometimes links are missing, scroll bars missing.  It is a mess.

Tried17446385, 1558903, 1458799 with no change

So tired of Internet Explorer. Everything works in Chrome, but company slow to adopt, but this may be the final straw.  Seems we have to upgrade portal ...again to SP9+.

Anyone find a solution?  The F12 and doc mode is not working for us

Lee Lewis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael;

Firstly as mentioned, you are already aware that IE 11 is not supported by SAP. So, you would be aware by this term used by SAP . It basically means the product may run without any issues, however there may some issues which may crop up and SAP would not be able to provide any support on this aspect.

So IE 11 can be used at your own risk (statuatory warning!!) But just in case you know...Let us see what would be the issues observed by some of us who have used IE 11 for modifying reports / dashboards / analysis etc. and provide their opinion

mike_howles4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, Arvind - Yes, all disclaimers aside, of course.

I'm not expecting to get an official "go ahead and do it, everything will be just fine" claim by anyone, but just wanting to see if anyone has run into an actual problem.  Our hand is being somewhat forced because IE11 is being deployed around April so we must have time to plan and test the targeted level (4.1 SP3) however waiting until last week in March gives us little runway, etc.