cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM 1.0 SP07 - R3trans in /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/abap/exe is too old.

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Error-Message from SUM-Tool:

The executable R3trans in /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe is too old.

It needs a release date of 19.03.13 or later.

what is this -

the download of the SUM is just new (from June 2013) ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

From the 19466 snote (I recommend using the version for the kernel that SUM is using, 7.20 I believe):

Copy or apply a patch for R3trans and tp.

You do not have to stop the SAP system for the R3trans and tp programs. The following simplified procedure applies here:

1. 1. Copy the patch into a temporary directory on your system.
  2. 2. Unpack the patch as described above.
  3. 3. Save the affected program file (UNIX: R3trans or tp, NT: R3trans.exe or tp.exe) by copying into a separate backup directory.
  4. 4. Copy the unpacked program into the SAP Kernel directory.
  5.   UNIX: /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/sys/exe/run
  6.    NT:  <drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\sys\exe\run
  7. If you use a 4.6D-based SAP system (64-bit, non-Unicode) or an SAP system 6.20 or higher (32-bit or 64-bit, Unicode or non-Unicode), there are also the following kernel directories:
  8.    NT: <drive>:\usr\sap<SAPSID>sys\exe\nuc\<platform> (non-Unicode)
  9.    NT: <drive>:\usr\sap<SAPSID>sys\exe\uc\<Plattform> (Unicode)
  10. 5. Also copy or move the unpacked program into the kernel directories of the instances:
  11.    UNIX: /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/<instance name>/exe
  12.    NT:   <drive>:\usr\sap\<SAPSID>\<instance name>\exe
christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, thank for your reply,

i did same as described in that note, today new downloaded from the 720_EXT Kernel

replaced the r3trans + tp in the SAP-system which i intend to upgrade (SID=EXE),

and also replaced the r3trans + tp in this named directory /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe

but, after restarting the SUM 5.2. extraction, the error is still the same?

what to do more?

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I didn't think SUM used the EXT kernels, have you also tried r3trans + tp for the non EXT kernel?

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

first try was replacing r3trans + tp in /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe/

then restart (go BACK) the whole SUM 5.2. phase Extraction,

then the directory again is in one SUM-step refreshed from where ???

the result is, the manually copied r3trans+tp are again replaced with older versions

and SUM stops again,

second try was replacing r3trans + tp in /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe/ 

then restart only the last step (go with NEXT-option) , so SUM goes ahead

and the stops abnormal with the next error ...

Severe error(s) occured in phase PREP_IMPORT/SQLDB_CLEARPATCHES!

Last error code set: tp failed with return code 249,

check /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/log/TPSQLSTD.OUT

- i will open a support-ticket for that new issue.

from where SUM copies old R3trans+tp ?

bxiv
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't think you have to update the SUM items, I think you need to update r3trans and tp in the current kernel that you have setup.  I don't recall what your system ones, so I pulled up a 7.20 UC Ext kernel download page and found the following info:

SARtp_433-20006748.sarTP 433Info345419.06.2013

SARlibrfc_433-20006748.sarlibrfc 433Info206119.06.2013

SARsaprouter_432-20006748.sarSAPROUTER 432Info127511.06.2013

SARccmagent_432-20006748.sarCCMAGENT 432Info1114911.06.2013

SARSNMPLIB_432-20006748.SARsnmplib 432Info176411.06.2013

SARenserver_430-20006748.sarSP for SAP KERNEL 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE 430Info1483910.06.2013

SARR3trans_430-20006748.SARR3TRANS 430Info679128.05.2013

I can see R3TRANS & TP have a May and June date time frame; I think you need to download these items and put them in your current system that you are trying to upgrade.  SUM should then pull them from there and let you proceed.

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you, Billy, for your effort trying to help me.

as i wrote, i did both,

update r3trans+tp in the sap-system i want to upgrade

and update r3trans+tp in the (within the error-message named) directory.

and i did it with the 720_EXT Kernel-Versions, same as you described.

The SAP-support answer to this issue was:

"looks like you have installed wrong patches into /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe directory.

While there is installed kernel release 721_EXT Unicode, at least the tp and r3trans executables are of kernel release 720.  This does not match.

You only can install release 7.21_EXT Unicode executables into /usr/sap/EXE/SUM/abap/exe directory. "

it would be far too easy, if SAP (SUM-tool) would issue clear-to-understand error messages - then the customer would know so directly what to do.

so i sounds to have to use these r3trans + tp from 721_EXT Kernel:

in SUM i choose Option "Exit program" and now i will have to start SUM new

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am facing same issue , I have below system ECC Ehp4

SAP Kernel :  701_REL

Kernel Patch number : 196

Please suggest which kernel will be applicable for R3trans.

Regards,

Vinay Patel

0 Kudos

Hi Jagan,

First of all many customer make the mistake of brining in the wrong kernel in to the upgrade by selecting the wrong kernel binaries during stackXML generation. You can prevent this error in the first case by selecting the

correct kernel while generating the stackXML.

Now how to know your correct kernel during the upgrade is by chcking the correct version of the target you intent to upgrade in service.sap.com/PAM -> specify the release or release + EHP level you are upgrading to . Once the release information page opens , click on the tab Technical release information -> choose Database platform

Choose on the correct OS and DB version you are in and PAM will outline the comptiable kernel you have to use . So you will know the correct kernel to use. Accordingly pick the TP and R3trans tools in market place and update your system. It is best to update the kernel than individually updating the TP and R3trans tools.

The above method of finding the kernle is the best method. This is not assumption based and will work perfectly. The SCOPE section shows te correct kernel you need to use . In case you have doubt to use use normal or EXT kernel for your release , I would recommed you to read the notes that are provided in the ADDITIONAL INFOTRMATION tab by clicking on the DISPLAY button.

Regards,

Varun.

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Varun Varma P wrote:

Hi Jagan,

First of all many customer make the mistake of brining in the wrong kernel in to the upgrade by selecting the wrong kernel binaries during stackXML generation. You can prevent this error in the first case by selecting the

correct kernel while generating the stackXML.

Regards,

Varun.

we do exactly that, choose the target release with the 721_EXT Kernel, created the XML-stack-file and downloaded all suggested software.

but when starting SUM, the SUM came up with the message (r3trans too old),

that means, that SUM did not use the downloaded kernel with r3trans,

so you have to copy r3trans one again manually -

this is what i expect tool to do - but this SAP tools do not.

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

sankar_27
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello ALL,

Simple solution would be download the promoted R3trans from Service Market Place and place in download directory and re-try it should works.

Regards,

Sankara Bavirisetti

0 Kudos

Hi,

after I changed the r3trans in the /SUM/abap/exe and in the ABAP and JAVA Kernel

the upgrade continued.

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Just for your information. Instead of placing the latest R3Trans in the SUM Download folder, our procedure now is to replace the kernel files (SAPEXE_<Version>.SAR and SAPEXEDB_<Version>.SAR) in the download folder to the latest version before starting SUM execution (Or you can do this when the issue happens). You can do this without generating a new stack.xml, SUM will have intelligence to extract the new kernel files automatically.

Regards,

Steven

deeraj_shetty
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Steven,

Thanks for the solution. Fixed my issue after replacing kernel SAR files in download folder.

Regards,

Deeraj Shetty

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Steven,

this fixed my issue too - I replaced downloaded stack-kernel completely with the newest one.

Even in SUM-XML File kernel data is named SUM extracts newest kernel without problems. And R3trans ist up to date.

Can anybody tell me how to check the R3trans version with a newer kernelrelease?

If I go to directory SUM/abap/exe and execute "R3trans -d" I get an error:

Could not open the ICU common library.

The following files must be in the path described by

the environment variable "LIBPATH":

libicuuc50.a, libicudata50.a, libicui18n50.a [/bas/741_REL/src/flat/nlsui0.c 1535] pid = 2163404

LIBPATH is currently set to /usr/lib:/lib:/usr/sap/ABC/SYS/exe/run:/usr/sap/ABC/SYS/exe/uc/rs6000_64:/oracle/client/11x_64/instantclient  [/bas/741_REL/src/flat/nlsui0.c 1538] pid = 2163404

Unfortunately version is not shown at the beginning.

Regards,

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julia,

R3trans you can check in:

1) TCODE: SPAM

2) in file trans.log

LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /sapmnt/SOL/exe/uc/linuxx86_64 and run ./R3trans -d

Regards,

Damian

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Damian,

thats right in "normal" environment.

But I'm in EHP 7 Upgrade. Current kernel is 720, new kernel will be 741. New R3trans is 740.

If I execute "/usr/sap/ABC/SUM/SUM/abap/exe/R3trans -d" I get mentioned error.

If SUM is telling me, that the new R3trans is too old, I have to check the version of the new R3trans.

And this I can't do in my current environment.

I tried to extend LIBPATH with /usr/sap/ABC/SUM/SUM/abap/exe, but this didn't work either.

Therefore: how can I check the version of this new R3trans?

Regards

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK.

Please try run

1) ./R3trans -v

2) /SUM/abap/exe/disp+work -v |more

3) <SUM Directory>\abap\exe\tp "pf=<SUM Directory>abap\var\DEFAULT.TPP" execdbscript APD -x ..\var\SQLDBSCRIPT.TQL

Try download latest R3trans version 741 and keep it in SUM directory in ../abap/exe/ and retry with the phase this should help.

Regards,

Damian

j_bayrhammer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Damian,

thanks for your input.

R3trans -v give me requested result:

This is ./R3trans version 6.24 (release 741 - 10.06.14 - 20:14:07).

unicode enabled version

disp+work -v doesn't work:

Could not load program ./disp+work:

Dependent module dw_gui.so could not be loaded.

Could not load module dw_gui.so.

System error: No such file or directory

<SUM Directory>\abap\exe\tp "pf=<SUM Directory>abap\var\DEFAULT.TPP" execdbscript APD -x ..\var\SQLDBSCRIPT.TQL works too with errors, but gives me requested result:

This is tp version 380.18.94 (release 741, unicode enabled)

ERROR: No connect due to DbSl Load Lib Failure

ERROR: The values set for DIR_LIBRARY ('/usr/sap/ABC/SYS/exe/run') or dbms_type ('ORA') are invalid.

ERROR: Connect to ABC failed (20141015120442).

Thanks for your help, this solved my problem 🙂

Regards,

Julia

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Steven young was write, for me brconnect and R3trans were recorded as older version.

All we need to replace old files with new one in SUM download directory. SUM tool will pick the file from download directory only, to confirm this i have tried a.) replacing abap/exe only, 2.) updating in Original system.

Cheers,

Regards

KSK

0 Kudos

Hello Team,

I had the very close related issue in the process of Ehp7 Upgrade from Ehp6.

Error: Last error code set: Tool release '721' from directory 'D:\XXXXX\SUM\abap\exe' does not match manifest release '720'.

Seems, it's required to upgrade or downgrade my Kernal 720_Ext to 721_Ext.???

Please help me out,..

Thank you,

Mohan Karamala.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just download R3trans from SWDC for example:

Support Package SAP KERNEL 7.41 64-BIT Linux on x86_64 64bit #Database independ

Unsar and copy R3trans file into /SUM/abap/exe/ and repeat last step.

Regards,

Damian

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Damian, colleagues,

as we are with SUM SP10 meanwhile, it is sufficient to put the kernel (or R3trans) archive into the download folder - no need to manually extract the archive, and no need to remember the name of the folder inside SUM folder any longer.

Regards, Boris

0 Kudos

Hi,

Even if I did a copy of the last R3trans (7.21) in /SUM/abap/exe, SUM (SP10) always replaced it with the version 7.41. I had to SAPCAR again the version 7.21, renamed it to R3trans.721, restart SUM and during the process catch the time where it replaced mine and just rename the 7.21 version to R3trans. The following step was to test it and SUM was happy with that.

2 weeks ago I did the same installation with SUM SP09 and the fix was to put the last version in /SUM/abap/exe and it was sufficient. SUM SP10 acted differently. Bug ??

PS: I tried to put the latest version of R3trans in the download folder but SUM didn't took it. I guess it has to be at the beginning of the process.

Regards

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Fabrice

did SUM SP10 ask you to replace R3trans in SUM\abap\exe?

Regards, Boris

0 Kudos

Yes, it did and it's what I did.

But when I restarted SUM, it overwrites it with the version 7.41. So,  I prepared a copy of R3trans.721 and just overwrite the version 7.41 at a specific time. It was not easy to catch the time but finally I had a window of 30/45 seconds to perform this step. I know it's not "nice" as a solution, but when I opened an OSS message SAP took more than 10 days to answer...

The process is still running.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

this worked fine for me also. I'm using SUM 1.0 SP11.

Regards,

Tobias Prein

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi colleagues,

sorry to read that you are having troubles with SUM.

Please consider the following aspects:

1. Although you download a new kernel archive, some kernel parts (like R3trans) may have been updated separately after the kernel archive has been made available. These newer versions are available as manual download in /SWDC. SUM may need new features of R3trans that are not included in the R3trans version of the kernel archive yet, but are part of the newer R3trans that is available separately.
  2. So when you start SUM, the tool checks whether the R3trans provided in the download directory is sufficient. In some cases, like in your case, it is not sufficient, so SUM displays the message that you have to download a newer R3trans version - and place it in the download folder, where the other files dowloaded after MOpz are located
    The screenshot in the original post shows the text " ... download directory.". You do NOT exchange R3trans of your SAP system, or of the SUM folders, as discussed above.
  3. Indeed SUM does not download any files on its own. I presume you do not want a tool running on OS level of your system to access the internet ...

Regards, Boris

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Boris Rubarth wrote:

Hi colleagues,

sorry to read that you are having troubles with SUM.

Please consider the following aspects:

Indeed SUM does not download any files on its own. I presume you do not want a tool running on OS level of your system to access the internet ...

Regards, Boris

thanks, Boris,  for your helpfull information ....

why this is not mentioned in the upgrade-guide?

why the needed r3trans version is not exactely named in SUM at the error point?

but

why SAP-customers are forced to use tools (Solman SMSY, MOPZ) which hold all information about installed SAP systems,

and the tools did not what tools normally should be able to do?

why MOPZ can not include the needed r3trans (newer version) into the download?

why MOPZ allows to mark AddOns and add into XML-Stack-file, but SUM did not allow to install this?

i expect tools to prevent users from suchs fault which cause extrem anger running SUM several times again and again and again ........

Christoph

0 Kudos

Thanks Boris! How I fix the problem is to download the latest SAR for R3Trans and TP and put the SAR files to the download folder (not the abap/exe)!

Steven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Steven Yeung wrote:

Thanks Boris! How I fix the problem is to download the latest SAR for R3Trans and TP and put the SAR files to the download folder (not the abap/exe)!

Steven

This is true only before you start upgrade. But if you have this problem, and SUM stopped, you should try change R3trans in abap/exe. In my case this help. In new upgrade I put this files in download patch folder, and the problem disappeared.

Regards,

Damian

Boris_Rubarth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Damian,

I think putting the archives into the download folder is easier, and this works even after the SUM run started.

Regards, Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Boris,

Absolutely right.

Regards,

Damian