cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of SAP NW IDM 7.2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are planning to install SAP NW IDM 7.2 to explore its functionalities and we have a few questions i hope you can shed some light to. According to the document SAP NetWeaver Identity Management Identity Center Installation overview.pdf, the steps for the Installation process: S - Demo/development system are as follows:

1. Install the database system.

2. Install the Identity Center database schema.

3. Install the Java Runtime Environment.

4. Install the database client.

5. Install the JDBC drivers.

6. Install the Management Console.

7. Install the Runtime Components.

8. Install and configure SAP NetWeaver AS Java.

9. Install the Identity Management User Interface.

10. Post-installation: Configure the Java Runtime Environment.

11. Post-installation: Add the JDBC drivers to the CLASSPATH extension.

We were wondering, since these components are separate installations---for step 8, can we use an existing SAP NW AS Java since we already have an installed SAP NW CE 7.2? And if this scenario is possible, can anyone give me an idea how much resource-intensive IDM will be if we use the existing CE 7.2 for this in terms of memory usage and the likes?

Please take note of the following:
- our CE 7.2 is installed in a separate server. in this server, we actually have two CE systems installed (different SIDs, but MCOD).

- we plan to install the IDM in a separate server, and install the components (database, Identity center, JRE, management console, runtime components, Identity Management UI) in this same server.

We are still in the research phase for SAP NW IDM and your responses would greatly help us.

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Cha cha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Thank you all for your advices. However, we opted to test installing IDM in one server first and explore its functionalities there. Here's what we did:

1. Installed Oracle 11g (software only)

2. Installed SAP NW 7.3

- during the installation, SAPInst asked us for the oracle 10.2.0.5 client.

- during installation, SAP JVM was also automatically installed so I no longer installed a JDK in my server

- I also added the /bin folder of the JVM in the PATH environment variable

3. Installed Identity Center Database Schema

4. Installed Management Console

5. Installed Runtime Components

6. Installed Identity Management User Interface

I am now following the Initial Configuration and am currently in step Adding an Identity Center Configuration. When selecting Oracle Provider for OLE DB, I was getting an error that said the provider was not available. Searching the forums gave me an idea that I need to install a 32bit Database Client. I could not find an Oracle 10.2.0.5 32-bit client, so I installed an Oracle 11.2.0.1 32-bit client. I chose the option Custom, and selected Oracle Provider for OLE DB. I indicated a new oracle home here because my original Oracle Home was not being accepted. After this, I was able to select Oracle Provider for OLE DB without any error.

Going back to adding an Identity Center, Selecting Oracle Provider for OLE DB prompted a new window asking me for my the Data Source (my database SID), and the user and password (mxmc_admin), I clicked the button Test Connection, and this is where a new error prompted, saying Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider.TNS-12557: TNS:protocol adapter not loadable.

Doing a tnsping <database sid>, i got the same error. I checked my environment variable PATH and noticed that the oracle home (the one I used to install Oracle Provider for OLE DB) I indicated was there. As per the document SAP NetWeaver Identity Management Identity Center Installation overview, I removed the 32-bit client from PATH.

Repeating the steps for Adding an Identity Center Configuration, I am still encountering the same error about the protocol adapter not loadable. But when i performed  a new tnsping <database sid> again, it was now successful.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue?

Please advise.

Thank you and have a great day!

Chacha

Former Member
0 Kudos

For this issue, enlist the help of an oracle db admin.  They may have to configure a connection using the oracle client tools before IdM will be able to connect to oracle.  I am not an oracle administrator, but I was having the same problem and I handed it over to them to create a client connection for me, after that I was able to connect.

Why are you using the 32 bit version?  Use 64 bit if the server is 64 bit.

former_member82170
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Chacha,

We are also planning to install IDM in our landscape.

Could you please share your experience on this.

Thanks and Regards,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Completely agree with the other guys about the plan, in terms of resources, the AS Java component of IdM never really seems loaded for us. The runtime components are the ones that carry the heavy load during provisioning.

Hope that helps,

Ian

former_member2987
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there,

You're spot on, since best practice to to set up IDM on a different system than NetWeaver (although for Sandbox/development environments, this is OK in my opinion.) Also don't forget to install and configure VDS as you'll need that for HCM/GRC/Web services integration!

Good luck!

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can use an existing CE 7.2 system.  Just make sure it's on the correct patch level.  Your plan seems to be valid.  To explore the functionality, I would also suggest installing a 2nd runtime on another server, so you can learn how to manager several dispatchers.

Best Regards,

Chris