FAQ - Running the Enterprise Data Warehousing - BW Administration Cockpit
- What u2019s New In The Bw Administration Cockpit?
- What Are The Key Points I Need To Know About The Bw Administration Cockpit Before I Start Using It?
- How To Install The Bw Administration Cockpit?
- Can I Make My Own Performance Monitors?
- Where Can I Find The Business Package In The Service Market Place?
- What Is The Roadmap Of The Bw Administration Cockpit?
- Are There Any Recommendations Which Queries Or Info Providers Are Not Necessary For Performance Monitoring (Hence Statistics Data Collection Can Get Switched Off)?
- How To Get Additional Information On Event Ids?
- How Can I Check Whether A Certain Query Navigation Step Used The Olap Cache?
- How Can I Compare Performance Of Queries That Used The Bi Accelerator To Queries That Use Aggregates?
- How To Get The Number Of Cells Transferred To The Frontend?
- Why Appears A Total Time (0tcttimeall) Of A Certain Query Execution Much Higher Than Expected?
- What Does The Bi Application Object U201arsdriu2018 Mean That Shows High Runtimes In Performance Monitors?
- How To Get The Bi Accelerator Kernel Runtime For A Query?
- How To Interpret Data In The Technical Content Infoprovider 0tct_C23 (Statistics Table Rsddstatwhm)? What Is The Meaning Of The So Called "Whm Actions"?
- When Executing Bw Queries Through Transaction Rstt (Testing / Tracing) The Resulting Statistics Differ From "Normal" Statistics
- How Is Network Time Captures When Executing Bw Queries Through The Bw Business Explorer Tools?
- Where Can I Find The Different Frontend Activities That Capture A 3100 Event (Olap: Read Data) In Order To Understand What Will Get Counted As A Navigation?
What u2019s new in the BW administration Cockpit?
1. From BI_CONT 7.03 SP7 and above some of the steps in the installation of the Administration Cockpit have been automated (e.g. scheduling of Process chains).
2. UI and usability improvements with layout changes and additional features (like scroll bars) have been made.*
3. Statistics changes have been incorporated for BI queries, templates and workbooks e.g. usage of BI reports and queries (with SP8).
(*With the new Business Package)
What are the key points I need to know about the bw administration Cockpit before I start using it?
The new technical content for BW statistics renders the previous "BW statistics" content obsolete with SAP NetWeaver BW 7.0.
The BW Administration Cockpit is based on the InfoProviders that are delivered with the technical content for BW statistics. See moreinformation on the technical content.
The BW Administration Cockpit is based on the event concept. This allows tracing every single runtime component of a certain query execution. An event Id is created and the time is measured from start to end point or only at end point. Thus runtime information gets collected at different events in processing.
Please ignore queries 0TCT_MC*_Q02* in BW Administration Cockpit. These are not valid for BW 7.0. See note 1081355.
How to install the BW administration Cockpit?
Can I make my own performance monitors?
BW Statistics recording is an in-built technology in SAP NetWeaver BW. The customers can create their own performance monitors based on the technical content. For example, the time durations for display of statistics can be changed according to your need. The event concept (as described above) also renders flexibility.
Where can I find the business package in the service market place?
In the Software Downloas Center :
-> Download -> Support Packages and Patches -> Entry by Application Group -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NETWEAVER -> SAP NETWEAVER 2004S -> Entry by Component -> EP Content -> BP BI ADMINISTRATION 1.0 -> #OS independent
What is the roadmap of the bw administration cockpit?
At this point in time, this is what the roadmap of the BW Administration Cockpit looks like-
1. BWA was originally positioned as the central tool to monitor and manage the BW. However, Solution Manager is now the desired central tool for central monitoring tasks. For local monitoring needs, we retain the standalone Administration Cockpit.
2. Enhanced statistics for queries, templates and workbooks with UI and usability improvements would be delivered."
Are there any recommendations which queries or info providers are not necessary for performance monitoring (hence statistics data collection can get switched off)?
BI Statistics is differenciated into OLAP Statistics (OLAP and Data Manager Runtime) collected for queries and Frontend Runtime collected for Web Templates and Workbooks. As typically customers are interested in OLAP and Data Manager runtimes, switching off all recording of frontend times (only) for all BEx Web Templates and BEx Workbooks would improve the situation a lot. If you also intend to switch of OLAP and Data Manager Statistics on InfoProvider level, we would suggest to switch off the following types of InfoProviders (in that sequence):
1) InfoProviders with very few data > probability that there are no runtime issues is very high
2) InfoProviders which never showed performance problems
3) InfoProviders which are rarely used
4) InfoProviders which are less "mission critical" in terms of reporting
How to get additional information on event ids?
This information is contained in the query runtime statistics documentation. For more information seehttp://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/45/f0488a1aa03115e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm
How can I check whether a certain query navigation step used the olap cache?
From BW 7.30 on you can use characteristic 0TCTOLAP_DM to analyze this. Prior to BW 7.30 you have to use the InfoProvider 0TCT_MC02 or database view RSDDSTAT_OLAP. If the EVENT IDs u201A2505u2018 or u201A2525u2018 appears for a given STEPUID the OLAP Cache has been read.
How can I compare performance of queries that used the BI accelerator to queries that use aggregates?
From BW 7.30 on you can use characteristic 0TCTOLAP_DM to analyze this. This will allow you to differentiate between queries that used the OLAP Cache, DB or the BW Accelerator. Prior to BW 7.30 you can analyze this using InfoProvider 0TCT_MC03. BI Accelerator accesses will appear as 0TCTAGPROV = $X) whereas aggregates will appear as 0TCTAGPROV = 1xxxxx. For easy restriction in queries you might add an additional characteristic deriving this access type in transformations or update rules.
How to get the number of cells transferred to the frontend?
From BW 7.30 on you can use key figure 0TCTNOCELL to analyze this. Prior to BW 7.30 you have to use the InfoProvider 0TCT_MC02 or database view RSDDSTAT_OLAP:
1) 7.0 BEx Analyzer: RSDDSTAT_OLAP-EVENTCNT for EVENTID = '000015010' (BEx Analyzer 7.0) > assigned to WB
2) 3.X BEx Analyzer: RSDDSTAT_OLAP-EVENTCNT for EVENTID = '000019900' and HANDLETP = 'OLAP' (BEx Analyzer 3.x) > assigned to Query
3) 3.x BEx Web: EVENTID 3200 (OLAP: Data Transfer at Front End)
4) 7.0 BEx Web: EVENTID 3200 (OLAP: Data Transfer at Front End) oder EVENTID 13304 (BICS Result Data)
Why appears a total time (0tcttimeall) of a certain query execution much higher than expected?
Currently, in certain cases system times such as the OPEN_DIALOG or user interaction appear as Not Assigned Time (0TCTTIMENA) which is part of the total time 0TCTTIMEALL. To ignore 0TCTTIMENA in total time, you might calculate the total time for querying as sum of 0TCTTIMEFE, 0TCTTMEOLAP and 0TCTTIMEDM.
What does the BI application object u201arsdriu2018 mean that shows high runtimes in performance monitors?
This is the time spent on reading InfoProviders through the BW Internal "Data Manager Interface" (RSDRI_INFOPROV_READ) or through Data Mart Extractions (3.x technology). You can filter this out the records based on the object name (0TCTBIBOBJ) "RSDR*" in transfer rules / transformations to Technical Content InfoProviders. Please refer to SAP Note 1051080 for additional details.
How to get the BI accelerator kernel runtime for a query?
Execute a query with statistics data in transaction RSRT. From the Aggregation Layer within the statistics data, note the Data Manager UID. Then start transaction SE16 and enter the table name RSDDSTATTREXSERV. There, enter the Data Manager UID and select the call type Q. When you choose "Execute", the TREX_KERNEL_TIME becomes visible.
How to interpret data in the technical content infoprovider 0tct_c23 (statistics table rsddstatwhm)? What is the meaning of the so called "WHM actions"?
Please have a look at SAP Note 551552 in order to get a detailled explanation on data loading steps that get recorded.
When executing BW queries through transaction RSTT (testing / tracing) the resulting statistics differ from "Normal" statistics
Please check SAP Note 1133732 "Differences when executing RSTT traces and queries" explaining the differences and advising on how to avoid them.
How is network time captures when executing BW queries through the bw business explorer tools?
http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/43/e39fd25ff502d2e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm. It is included in the client time
Where can I find the different frontend activities that capture a 3100 event (olap: read data) in order to understand what will get counted as a navigation?
This event captures every frontend activity that calls a query. Besides navigation in a BW Query this can also be value helps reading their data through a BW Query.