[BI 4.2 SP3+] Step by Step PHASE-WISE Installation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) platform 4.2 when updating/patching the BI 4.x in GUI MODE.
What is PHASE-WISE ?
Phase-wise installation of BI 4.2 installer You can now perform the installation of BI platform 4.2 in two phases - Caching and Installation after caching.
During caching the system downtime is eliminated, which reduces the overall system downtime.This will save your time and more importantly if you have issues in INSTALL-DATA folder or any files or any issue which may arise during the update because of Cache will be minimised and your main server update will be unaffected.
What is PHASE-WISE GUI?
Phase-Wise GUI is a new feature in BI 4.2 SP3 and above to perform the phase wise install using GUI Mode. Previously this feature was introduced in BI 4.2 SP00 and above and it can be used only using command line. For More : Step by Step PHASE-WISE Installation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) platform 4.2 when updating/patching the BI 4.x.
SAP is always looking to reduce the efforts and improve the new features which are introduced. This feature will make phase wise much easier as compare to the command line method.
Pre-requisites before proceeding :
- Ensure you take the necessary backup of CMS database and Filestore for safe side using KBA-1275068 - Backup and restore BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 3.x / BI 4.x system from one environment to another.
- Follow BEST practice KBA- 1952120 - SAP BusinessObjects (XI 3.1 and BI 4.0) Installation pre-requisites & best practices / KBA-1757132 - BI4 Support Pack Upgrade and Patch Install Best Practice Guide
- Download the correct setup for SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI) platform UPDATE from Support and Patches section in SMP ( Service Market Place)
- Applicable for BI 4.2 Installers and should not be tried with BI 4.0/4.1 products.
- VERY IMPORTANT : If updating the Server from BI 4.1 ensure to check the licensee policy and requirement using link : BI4.2 New License Key Requirement when updating from BI4.0/BI4.1
Start of Phase-Wise Install (GUI) :
Here, I am updating my server from BI 4.1 SP7 to BI 4.2 SP3 using phase-wise gui method.
Note : Here I am updating from BI 4.1 to BI 4.2 Sp3. This method can also be used to update BI 4.2 SPx to BI 4.2 SP3 and above.
1. Download the setup from the service market place from support packages and patches.
2. Extract the setup using any extractor tool like winrar, 7z etc.
3. Run the setup in elevated mode (Run as Administrator)
4. Ensure the prerequisites are succeeded.
5. Accept EULA.
6. Please ensure to read this section and check the requirements for BI 4.2 Licensing if updating it from BI 4.0/4.1 SPx .
7. Provide the Administrator Password.
8. This window confirms that you are in FIRST PHASE of PHASE-WISE INSTALL. At this point all the servers were running and enabled and available for end users. Choose Phase-wise Installation and click Next.
9. Here caching of DU is started and first phase is started.
10. Once the First phase is completed you will get the below screen with confirmation.
NOTE : Till here all the servers are up and running and available for users.
STARTING of Second Phase of PHASE-WISE INSTALL GUI (From this point the SERVERS are UNAVAILABLE for USERS and actual DOWNTIME is required)
Once you are ready to update/patch the server you will start the second phase.
11. Use the SAME setup to start the update again.
13. Choose to required option to deploy the war files to the WAS (Web Application Server). Ex. Tomcat
14. Here you will notice it will automatically detect the SECOND PHASE and will confirm to start the second phase and update the server.
Once the installation is complete your server will be updated to the required service pack.
LOGS for the First Phase and Second Phase of Install will be created separately in the <InstallDir>\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\InstallData\logs folder with Time Stamp.