New 30-day trial for SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 FPS 01 available
New 30-day trial available:
SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 Feature Package Stack (FPS) 01
The trial is based on a software appliance for SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition 1511 Feature Pack Stack (FPS) 01, and the corresponding SAP Best Practices. This blog is mainly focusing on the 30-day trial but the software appliance can also be used for longer engagement (both in a hosted environment or on-premise), see e.g. the read-more links in the appendix below.
Here’s the scorecard of the trial with the most important facts:
If you are already experienced with the previous SAP S/4HANA on-premise trial (1503 release, not available anymore as trial), you will easily be able to switch to the new trial release since the ‘mechanics’ are the same as before:
- Free SAP Cloud Appliance Library access for 30 days
- Built-in 30-day test & evaluation license for SAP S/4HANA (free of charge for the supported trial scenarios during that time)
- Amazon AWS fees (~ 4 USD per uptime hour) are charged to your AWS account
- Support via SAP CAL community in SCN
- Possibility to extend the 30-day trial phase by acquiring an SAP CAL subscription license (requires valid SAP S/4HANA license as well)
If you are new to trials in SAP Cloud Appliance Library, there’s a detailed ‘Quick Start Guide’ on the trial landing page to get started. Registration in AWS and SAP CAL takes a few minutes, start-up of your personal trial instance will take less than one hour.
The scope of the trial has been extended and now covers the below four ‘walkthrough’ scenarios that are explained in detail in an extensive demo script:
But of course you’re free to explore and adapt the system as needed (and covered by the terms&conditions of the trial) since you have full administrative rights and even access to the Linux operating system.
Technically, the trial consists of three Amazon appliances that are bundled into one solution instance:
1. SAP S/4HANA (the core ABAP backend)
2. SAP NW JAVA with Adobe Document Services (for forms, output management, and usage in Credit Management)
3. MS Windows remote desktop for easy access of the trial system
One more thing: Deploying the trial appliance on your own hardware
If you are interested in receiving the trial appliance for installation on your own on-premise hardware, this can be accomplished by ordering two Blu-Ray discs from SAP (the MS Windows remote desktop is not included in this shipment).
The shipment is free of charge, however, corresponding SAP S/4HANA licenses need to be in place depending on recipient and use case e.g. for partners a T&D license or for customers a SAP S/4HANA / SAP HANA license including SAP Cash Management and Integrated Business Planning for Finance (via BPC for SAP NetWeaver).
For SAP customers, an engagement with either SAP Consulting or an enabled SAP partner is required to receive and deploy the solution on customer premises. Ordering of the discs by a partner and deploying it on customer-site afterwards is not allowed.
The following SAP notes contain more information on the ordering process:
- Ordering process for SAP partners (2041140) - also containing information how SAP partners can enable themselves for Blu-Ray deployment.
- Ordering process for SAP customers (2202234)
And lastly to summarize:
This presentation gives an overview of the software appliance for SAP S/4HANA 1511 FPS01, covering the used SAP Best Practices, the trial and the Blu-Ray shipment aspects.
As usual, there is also a central SAP Note for details, known issues, etc. for the appliance:
Appendix: Link collection for further information
Software appliance in general:
- Overview presentation for the appliance
- Central SAP note for the appliance
- SAP Best Practices for SAP S/4HANA 1511, on premise edition
- On-premise trial landing page
- Quick Start Guide for the on-premise trial
- Demo Guide for Trial Business Scenarios
SAP CAL information:
- SAP CAL Console
- SCN Community for SAP CAL (also for support for CAL issues)
- How to acquire an SAP CAL subscription (and other CAL business questions)
- For SAP employees only: How to get an SAP internal CAL account and attach it to your cost center