SAP API Business Hub launched: Discover, explore and test SAP APIs
Since the beginning of the year the SAP API Hub has been available as a service in beta status on SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Today we are seizing the next step and are launching a new version based on the design-winning SAP Fiori design with the new name SAP API Business Hub.
What is SAP API Business Hub?
SAP API Business Hub is targeted at developers and partners that wish to connect to SAP systems using APIs - both cloud and on-prem. We want to make SAP API Business Hub the one-stop place for you to discover, explore and test SAP APIs. We have committed ourselves to publish the API documentation in the popular and widely-used OpenAPI format. And finally - for some APIs this is still a work in progress - we allow you to try out APIs in sandbox systems provided by us. This is a part of the ongoing effort to open up SAP and to connect more easily to SAP systems and and applications.
How to use SAP API Business Hub
In simple terms, to try out the APIs published on SAP API Business Hub, you need to pass an API key with each call you make against the service. To obtain an API key, you need to do the following:
- Register for a trial account on SAP HANA Cloud Platform.
- Log in to SAP API Business Hub
- Find the API you would like to test in the API Catalog
- Subscribe to the API and create a new application or add it to an existing application. (An application is a bundle of several API registrations, so that you don't have to deal with different API keys for different SAP APIs.)
- Explore the documentation in the OpenAPI format and make some test API calls.
For a more detailed explanation on this, please follow this step-by-step guide for using SAP API Business Hub.
API Depreciation Policy
Please note that the APIs published in SAP API Business Hub are not meant for productive use and might slightly differ from the actual APIs, i.e.:
- host and base path are modified
- logon credentials are handled by the API Hub and therefore not needed in the API
- an API Key is required to access the APIs in the Hub - this API Key is not needed when working with the live service.
Also - for the time being - we reserve the rights to make changes to the available APIs in SAP API Business Hub at any time or even unpublish these without any ahead notice. Of course, we are working hard on making a more reliable API depreciation policy available to you as soon as possible.
Of course, we'd love to hear your feedback on this. Please let us know if you need any additional information, or if you'd like to see a certain API included. So if you like, please leave a comment below or drop us an email.