SAP TechEd 2015 – Content Overview & Structure, and some Highlights
SAP TechEd, SAP's premier technology education conference, is waiting in the wings. Created expressly for technologists, developers, and engineers, it offers plenty of educational sessions, on all kind of technical levels and touches the most important SAP products and technology trends. More than 200+ lectures, ~ 100 Hands-On workshops, 30+ Code Reviews and 30+ CodeJams (Mini-Editions) will be offered by SAP experts. In addition to this, lots of customer-driven lectures, Road Map Q&As, Product Influence sessions and lots of opportunities to network will extend and enrich the program.
In this blog, I’d like to share our thoughts on how the educational sessions have been structured and would like to highlight some hot topics which are in the spotlight for this year’s SAP TechEd.
In essence, the participants are at the core of the content strategy for SAP TechEd. The content tracks group the sessions based on certain job profiles, and thus determine the focus and content of the sessions for that particular job profile. On the other side, so called hot topics have been defined that are typically relevant for several (all) job profiles but would usually need to be addressed differently for the respective job profiles.
In picture (1) below, you can find the visualization of this approach, which also shows the two main dimensions (tracks and hot topics) to identify interesting and relevant sessions and/or topics.
Picture (1): Content overview and strategy enabling session filtering via job profiles and/or hot topic perspective
Again, SAP TechEd offers lots of opportunities to learn about the latest and greatest developments as well as sharing best practices and tips & tricks from customers, and SAP Experts. As major highlights, I’d like to point out the following hot topics for SAP TechEd 2015:
- SAP HANA Platform: SAP HANA is the core of SAP’s strategy and the main driver for innovations. Around the SAP HANA database, various additional capabilities have been added recently, like data processing and application platform capabilities. Ultimately, this provides real-time decision support within the window of opportunity and powerful capabilities to acquire, store and process big data in real-time. At SAP TechEd, SAP HANA will be touched in almost all tracks and sessions. However, the track Data Management and Modeling [DMM] will focus most on the core capabilities of the SAP HANA Platform, laying the foundation for various predictive, planning, text, spatial, and business analytics scenarios.
- SAP S/4HANA: S/4HANA is the next generation Business Suite that was launched at the beginning of 2015. It runs on top of SAP HANA, has a completely renewed architecture and simplified data model, comes with a SAP Fiori based User Experience, and can be deployed either on-promise or in the cloud. At SAP TechEd, we set up the sub track TEC | SAP S/4HANA - Introducing the Next Generation of Business Applications that holds various sessions introducing and explaining the main characteristics of SAP S/4HANA for architects and IT management. Certainly the various aspects are covered on even deeper technical level in other tracks as well.
- Cloud and Security: More and more applications and services are available in the cloud. Also for SAP, this deployment model and new service-oriented approach becomes more and more important. At SAP TechEd, we focus on the technical questions which arise in this context:
a) Integration: How to integrate cloud based applications and service into an existing customer landscape? The track Cloud Integration, Orchestration, and Intelligent Processes [INT] covers this aspect most for integration and process experts, while in the track IT and Cloud Management the integration into the system landscape and operations of cloud solutions is in the spot.
b) Extensibility: How to extend cloud applications easily and/or how to extend an on-premise application with cloud-based functionality? SAP HANA Cloud Platform (HCP), is the product of SAP that allows exactly this, and thus you can find in the development track a dedicated sub-track DEV | Develop with SAP HANA Cloud Platform where you can find several sessions to learn on how these kind of extensions can be built.
c) Security in the Cloud: Security is essential, not only but in particular important for cloud-based deployments. In the security track Security, Secure Development and Configuration [SEC], we cover topics like how to securely authenticate users, control access, implement single sign-on scenarios, as well as configure and develop secure applications. In the sub track TEC | Innovation in Action, you can find several examples of cloud-based SAP applications, especially on how they leverage the cloud and SAP HANA in the newest releases.
- Big Data, Analytics and Internet of Things (IoT):The Digital Transformation has enabled companies to monitor data signals like sensor data, social, geospatial etc. and with this there is a need to store petabytes of data and process them by applying complex algorithms like Machine Learning, Streaming and Graph analysis. Especially, in the context of Internet of Things (IoT) these capabilities of SAP HANA are combined with analytical capabilities and cloud-based deployments to enable real-time decisions, heighten asset performance, and improve process and product quality. At SAP TechEd, again, the technical aspects are the focus of the educational sessions:
a) Big Data & Hadoop: The combination of SAP HANA and Hadoop provides a scalable platform to address the Big Data challenges and deliver on the ‘Data Driven’ promise to stay ahead of their competition. In the sub-track Data Management, Big Data, and Deployment Strategies [DMM] you can learn about how Hadoop is integrated into SAP HANA and how this enables big data scenarios.
b) Analytics: With the growth of Big Data, the Internet of Things, and business user demand for insights, analytics solutions need to be simpler yet more capable than ever before. SAP offers analytics solutions to facilitate the decision-making process for all levels and functions within the business. Mainly in the track Business Analytics: Planning, Business Intelligence, and Predictive [BA] you can find sessions to get the skills and insights you need to make use of SAP technologies, products, and development environments and manage and prepare big and small data for analysis, and enable self-service analytical applications on all devices for all end users, including your own customers.
c) Internet of Things: Since IoT truly leverages all aspects of big data, cloud, and analytical capabilities, you can find IoT in the educational sessions in various tracks. For example, there are sessions in the development track that demonstrate on how to connect sensors to and store its data to SAP HANA Cloud Platform. Also you can find sessions in the business analytics track that cover the analytical parts, like identifying data patterns to trigger alerts, or visualizing huge data sets for subject matter experts and/or end users.
- User Experience: User experience relates to SAPs UX strategy and in particular to the way SAP improves the user experience not only for end users, but also for developers, administrators, designers and business analysts throughout design, development, deployment and usage of SAP products. At SAP TechEd 2015, you can also find a dedicated track User Experience Design and Technology [UX] that bundles the relevant sessions to learn how to design and apply a good design right from the beginning, and how to build modern user interfaces by adapting existing SAP UI technologies with the SAP Fiori apps paradigm
- Developer Experience: Starting from elementary knowledge transfer lectures on major development technologies (SAP HANA, ABAP, Web IDE, SAP HANA Cloud Platform etc.), you can go ahead with deep dive sessions and finally enrich your experience at hands-on sessions, which often deal with end-to-end scenarios (e.g., from data retrieval to application logic and user experience). Developer experience also plays an important role in UI technologies (e.g., SAPUI5), security and integration of multiple SAP and non-SAP systems. At SAP TechEd 2015, most developer centric sessions can be found in the track Development and Extension Platform for SAP HANA and Cloud [DEV].
If you have still not registered for SAP TechEd you can register now and save $100/€150.