SAP HANA virtualized - Overview
With the release of SAP HANA SPS 05, SAP announced support for VMware hypervisor, as the first technology supported to partition a SAP HANA server into smaller partitions / VMs. Meanwhile SAP has further extended its support to run SAP HANA in a virtualized / partitioned (multi-tenant) environments, by adding additional scenarios and technologies supported.
See SAP Note 1788665 and attached SAP HANA technology roadmap for running on virtualized / partitioned platforms for more information on currently supported scenarios and where to find further information on best practices and constraints which may apply.
In short, current SAP HANA support covers:
- General support for SAP HANA on VMware vSphere 5.1 in non-production
- General support for single SAP HANA VMs on VMware vSphere 5.5 in production and non-production
- Controlled General Availability for multi-VM and BW on HANA scale-out scenarios on VMware vSphere 5.5 in production
- Controlled Availability for Hitachi LPAR (single and multiple partitions) in production
|News, February 8, 2016|
As of February 8th, 2016, the multi-VM and Scale-out scenarios on vSphere 5.5 have moved into General Availability after a more than a year-long testing period and after the defined KPIs for the number of live customers have been met. Not only typically mid-term project plans, but also customer satisfaction and accordingly low feedback rates made this program last longer than expected. Also see SAP Note 2024433 and SAP Note 2157587.
On our roadmap for future support are:
- Support of larger VMs and 8-socket hardware with VMware vSphere 6
See above referenced SAP Note and slide deck for additional information and details.