The Webi Bulletin Archive
The Web Intelligence Bulletin - Archive (this page) is an archive of the The Webi Bulletin providing links to formerly hot issues, handy documentation and past events of interest along with any available presentations from those events to Web Intelligence Users and Administrators.
- Java 8 is now supported with XI 3.1!
Freehand SQL (FHSQL) is coming to Web Intelligence (added 2014-11-05)
- Freehand SQL coming to Web Intelligence with BI 4.1 SP05! We'll be blogging our experience with FHSQL when it comes out.
Doc: Exporting formula from WebI to Excel (added 2015-04-09)
- This document shows how to export excel formulas from Webi to excel exports.
Doc: Setting up ODBC Connectivity to MS SQL Server on UNIX (XI 3.1) (added 2015-04-09)
- This document walks an administrator through the basic steps to configure MS SQL Server connectivity through ODBC on a UNIX platform.
Doc: SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence 4.1: Calculation Engine Changes (added 2015-03-27)
- This document describes the corrections and changes to the calculation engine in Web Intelligence 4.1 compared to Web Intelligence XI 3.1, XI 3.0, and XI R2
- This document shows how to use dynamic values such as dates from BW variables for scheduling.
Blog: Confusion around BW manual prompt entry functionality (added 2015-02-19)
- This blog discusses some of the pain points around the new BW manual prompt entry introduced in BI 4.1 SP5
Blog: BI4.1 Using End to End Trace with Scheduling Workflows (added 2015-02-19)
- This blog explains how to use our end to end trace application for schedules instead of view on demand
- This document shows how to make sure your Web Intelligence reports are optimized against BICS and BW data sources.
Doc: How to insert a Gauge chart inside a WEBI document (added 2015-02-11)
- This document explains how you can utilize Google charting from within Web Intelligence.
Doc: Line Opener Program (added 2015-02-04)
- Line Opener Program is used to semi automatically open your connections for SAP Support and Developments use to troubleshoot your issue.
Blog: Feature differences between all the Web Intelligence clients in BI4.1 SP04 (added 2015-02-04)
- This blog compares the feature sets of the three Webi viewers (Rich Client, HTML, and Applet)
Wiki: Apache Hadoop Hive Connection With Information Design Tool (added 2015-01-14)
- This wiki explains the options available for reporting on a Hadoop Hive data source with SAP Business Intelligence BusinessObjects 4.x. This is intended as knowledge collective to pool current information regarding Hadoop Hive connectivity’s in the Information Design Tool.
Doc: Webi 4.1 Scaling out with HANA (added 2015-01-14)
- This document talks about scaling out Webi for database connectivity. Much of the information is not specific to HANA.
Doc: Understanding Caching in Web Intelligence (added 2015-01-14)
- The purpose of this document is to provide a more in-depth, yet simple understanding of the caching process in Web Intelligence.
Blog: Revisit the Sizing for your deployment of BI 4.x Web Intelligence Processing Servers! (added 2014-12-18)
- This blog contains information to be used to size your Web Intelligence Processing Servers in BI 4.1 and compares this to sizing done in XI3.1
Blog: Consuming HANA View(Variable/Input Parameter) in WebI using HANA Business Layer 4.x (added 2014-12-18)
- This blog contains steps to consume HANA views into web intelligence through unx and also links to another blog for unv
Doc: Tips for Optimizing the Performance of Web Intelligence Documents (updated 2014-12-15)
- a large, evolving, collection of tips, tricks, wisdom, and best practices for getting the most out of Web Intelligence, collected via many years of supporting the product. Chapter 6 - Sizing for Performance is now available!
Blog: Precision of Calculation Results in Web Intelligence (added 2014-12-12)
- An explanation of how and why you can get strange results when calculating decimal numbers in Web Intelligence.
Doc: What's new in BI4.1 SP05 for Web Intelligence (added 2014-11-25)
- a collection of blogs talking about new functionality added with 4.1 SP05
Doc: Getting Started with SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence (added 2014-11-25)
- a new document on the basics of getting started with Web Intelligence. This blog gives a good overview of what to expect in it.
Blog: First look at FHSQL reports in BI4.1 (added 2014-11-20)
- first hand experience in using the new free-hand sql in Webi that was added in 4.1 SP05
Doc: Web Intelligence UI Extension Points, version 4.1 (updated 2014-11-19)
- a PDF walkthrough from start to finish in eclipse as well as three videos following the steps in the document
Blog: Creating a Webi doc off of an unmanaged Excel data source on a network share (added 2014-11-18)
- step by step guide on creating a new web intelligence document using an unmanaged excel sheet as a data source from a network share
- a collection of notes and kba's covering the deski compatibility pack all in one location.
Blog: Influence the World’s Leading BI Tools with SAP’s Idea Place (added 2014-10-27)
- ever wanted a new feature? Have a good idea? Read this to see how your ideas can be placed in front of Web Intelligence Product Owners.
Blog: End-to-End Trace and Identifying Root Cause for BI 4.x Web Intelligence (added 2014-10-27)
- ever run into a complex issue that requires deeper investigation? This blog gives a step-by-step instruction on how to root cause any errors you encounter with WebI.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.1 - Publication Meet the Expert Session featuring Norleen Scott and James Zhang from SAP Product Support, February 16th, 2015
- An online free presentation for those interested in using publications within their BI4.1 environment.
Web Intelligence Live Session - Learn Web Intelligence reporting hosted by SAP Learning Hub instructors, March 25-27, 2015
- A 3 day course that includes instructor led training, self study, and access to the training environment.
Optimize the Performance of SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence Documents Meet the Expert Session featuring @Jonathan Brown, December 4th, 2014
- An online free presentation of interest to those who use WebI, from the author of Tips for Optimizing the Performance of Web Intelligence Documents.
SAP BI Platform Support Tool - Live Demo featuring Tim Coffman ASUG Florida Chapter Meeting November 14th
Stump the Experts Panel discussion featuring WebI Support Engineers, ASUG Pacific Northwest Chapter Meeting November 4th, 2014, Hilton Seattle
Option to remove error message when a query is empty (added 2015-04-23)
- Add the ability to not display the "No Data to retrieve" message box popup.
Export/Print single page for Webi (added 2015-04-23)
- Add the ability to be able to export or print a specific page range instead of whole report.
Ability to add comments to Webi Variables (added 2015-02-04)
- The ability to add comments to help make Webi variables more understandable to others.
Filter for items which "contain" a key word (added 2015-02-04)
- Feature parity between the Java Applet and the HTML viewer in regards to filtering using the "Like" operator.
Custom SQL overwrites security profile (added 2015-02-04)
- Relate the right to use custom SQL to the existence of security profiles, so if a security profile exists, automatically prohibit editing of the SQL.
Passing multi-value BEx prompts when document linking (added 2015-01-14)
- To be able to retrieve the keys of a prompt value entered in addition to the text for BW prompts. This is so we can reuse the prompt values from parent to child document.
Default sort order in WebI data tab (added 2014-12-18)
- To be able to configure the default sort order to Query.
- To have the Report Conversion Tool preserve the cell alignment settings
- To have optional prompts be configurable to refresh the lov the same as mandatory prompts.
Copy as text menu in view mode Webi (added 2014-11-07)
- Currently this functionality only exists when Webi is opened in modify mode, we would like this to also exist in view mode.
- We can search any text in Web Intelligence tool. We would like the tool to highlight the searched text as well.
Document Link for charts in Web Intelligence (added 2014-11-07)
- Document link is avaialble only for Table and cells but we need that option for charts as well. So that when we click on the chart the respective detail level report will display from new document.
Global Input controls for whole document (added 2014-11-07)
- Designer should be able to define input controls where scope is the entire Web Intelligence document. Currently input control scope is restricted to at most a report in a document.
Selected New Knowledge Bases
(requires access account with SAP Service Marketplace)
- 1606502 - BI 4.0: #UNAVAILABLE in Web Intelligence report using BEx query
- 1926596 - How to clear Web Intelligence document cache on BI 4.0
- 1904873 - Web Intelligence Rich Internet Applet loads slower after installing Java 7 update 25 (JRE 7u25+) and above
- 2081285 - How to get best results from an SAP search
- 1940100 - Error "Design-time query not available (WIS 00000)" using BICS connectivity with WebI in BI4.1
- 2084367 - "Reason: recv() failed: I/O error during read: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset (IES 10901) (WIS 10901)" error when refreshing WebI document
- 2072270 - Error: "At least one BEx variable is missing a required value. Use the "Set Variables" to provide the missing values." in WebI prompt screen based on BICS in BI 4.02075567 - Web Intelligence: Error: "An internal error occured while calling 'getBlobInfos' API (Error: ERR_WIS_30270) (Error: INF)" when saving reports to PDF format
- 2061239 - BI 4.1: How to enable query stripping for Web Intelligence Document that create with universes that design with Information Design Tool
- 2062089 - BI 4.x Error "CORBA error while communicating with the SL Service" display while refresh or schedule the Web Intelligence Document that built with BEx Query through BICS connection
- 2063993 - Get error "The program can't start because MSVCR100.dll is missing from computer" when start Webi Rich Client on Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2065896 - When attempting to launch the Java Report Panel, Web Intelligence Applet or Rich Internet Application, clicking the "Run this time" button when the "blocked" message appears, the applet does not launch.
- 2071236 - BI 4.1 Client tool Error:Your session timed out. Close the Java interface and log on again