How to Add a System "On-the-Fly" to a ChaRM Project Track? (Part 1)
In this Document, we will share some information how you can actually extend your current Change Request Management Project Track Landscape in a running project by manually adding a new system (QA-System) - basically "on-the-fly".
Recommended SAP Standard Procedure for System Landscape Changes with active ChaRM
The recommended SAP Standard Procedure for changing a System Landscape with active SAP Change Request Management consists of the following steps:
- Close the existing Change Cycle,
- Adjust the configuration in SAP Transport Management,
- Exchange the Logical Component assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project, and
- Open a new Change Cycle (and take over open Change Documents).
Adding a System to a Project Track on-the-Fly is technically feasible, in case that the prerequisites, which are described below, are met.
However it is not the recommended SAP Standard Procedure in order to perform System Landscape Changes for an active ChaRM Project Track.
Add a System to a ChaRM Project Track "on-the-fly"
This document provides a detailed documentation about the Test Series, if it is technically feasible to add a system to an existing Project Track "on-the-fly", for which SAP Change Request Management has been activated.
In our test case an additional QA-System will be added to a 3-tier System Landscape (based on different clients) consisting of a
- Development System (DEV) (E2D, Client 601),
- Pre-production System (PRE) (E2D, Client 603) and
- Production System (PRD) (E2D, Client 604).
So far the described procedure has been tested internally. Currently several customers are testing this scenario as well. After we have received their feedback regarding successful testing, this document will be published.
Prerequisites and Basic Definitions
In order to undergo the following Test Series, a number of Basic Definitions were made and certain Prerequisites have to be met:
- Transport Requests
- Need to be in a consistent state,
- All Urgent Changes have to be imported to the Production System before the System Landscapes Changes take place! This is essential in order to keep consistency!
- If possible avoid Normal Change Documents with CRM User Status “To be Tested” before adding a System to a Project Track on-the-Fly.
- Must still be usable afterwards,
- Must still be deployed afterwards.
- This means, that transports waiting in the import queue of the Pre-production System can still be imported.
- Don't need to be reassigned to another project,
- Need to follow the current workflow,
- SAP TMS Adjustments need to happen anyway!
- Logical Components need to be adjusted anyway!
Furthermore the execution of the Test Series has been based on the following decisions and technical prerequisites:
- The Test Series have been carried out based on different clients in one system,
- Only Systems with System Role "Target System", in our case an addtional Quality Assurance System, is added to the existing Project Track,
- Adjust the Configuration in SAP Transport Management System:
- The same Transport Layer has been used!
- The Source System of Transport Requests stays the same!
- The Target of released Transport Requests stays the same (same target for export)! (in our Test Case: Target Group /QAS/)!
- Open Transports can still be released to the Target Group /QAS/,
- SAP TMS Task: Swap System in Target Group /QAS/ and point Delivery Route from QAS to PRE and from PRE to PRD,
- The Transport Target in SAP Change Request Management related database tables is still the same: Target Group /QAS/.
- Replace Logical Component
- Only one Logical Component was assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project as Starting Point for the Test Series,
- The Logical Component, which was assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project, has to be replaced, but not to be modified! The replacement took place with a new Logical Component, which has been prepared beforehand. In consequence this means, that a customer, who uses Solution Documentation in addition, has to replace the Logical Component in each affected Project and Business Process (-Step), to which it has been assigned to,
- The existing System Roles must not be changed!
- Adjust the Task List
- The referring Task List was adjusted utilizing the Task List Standard Functionality ('Add System', 'Delete System').
SAP Solution Manager Release Level
The verification has been performed on a SAP Solution Manager System with Release 710, SP10.
Goal of the Test Case
The Goal of this Test Case is to add the addtional QA-System E2D, Client 602 to an existing Project Track (consisting of a 3-tier System Landscape) "on-the-fly".
The SAP Solution Manager Project, on which SAP Change Request has been activated, the referring Task List as well as all ongoing changes and transports can be used afterwards.
Please notice, that the detailed steps of the Test Execution have to be performed in the described order!
The following step by step test documentation is illustrated by Screenshots. By clicking on a specific picture, you can increase the size of the graphic.
Required Changes in the SAP Transport Management (SAP TMS)
As starting point the required changes in SAP TMS have to be carried out.
Replace System E2D, Client 603 by System E2D, Client 602 in the Target Group /QAS/
As first step, System E2D, Client 603 has to be replaced by System E2D, Client 602 within the Target Group /QAS/.
Launch Tr. STMS on the Domain Contoller System and choose "Overview --> Transport Routes" from the Menu.
Double-click on Target Group /QAS/:
System E2D, Client 603, which is currently assigned to the Target Group /QAS/ now has to be replaced by System E2D, Client 602.
Therefore press the Button "Display <> Change" and perform the required replacement:
Adjust the relevant Transport Routes in SAP TMS
As next step, additional Transport Routes have to be created.
Launch Tr. STMS on the Domain Controller System and choose "Overview --> Transport Routes" from the Menu.
Position the Cursor on the Transport Layer ZTST, then do a Right Mouse Click and choose "Create".
In detail the following, additional Transport Routes have to be created:
Delivery Route from:
- System E2D, Client 602, (Quality Assurance) to
- System E2D, Client 603 (Pre-production):
Furthermore a Delivery Route from:
- System E2D, Client 603 (Pre-production) to
- System E2D, Client 604 (Production)
has to be re-created again, as it is no more linked to the Transport Layer ZTST:
Finally the entire Transport Path for Transport Layer ZTST looks as being displayed below:
Distribute and Activate Changes to (for) the Transport Domain
Finally the changes in SAP TMS have to be distributed to the entire Transport Domain. With the distribution the changes will be activated as well.
Therefore press the Button "Distribute and Activate":
Required Changes in regards to Logical Component Assignment
As next, the required replacement of Logical Component Assignment to the referring SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST has to be executed.
Replace Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_3SY in the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST
Launch Tr. SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN in the SAP Solution Manager Working Client and select the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST.
Go to Tab "System Landscape", and position the Cursor on the assigned Logical Component.
In our case, this is the Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_3SY, which has to be replaced by the Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY.
In order to perform this, please press the Button "Replace Log. Components":
Choose the appropriate Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY from the Pop up:
and press "ok".
Quit the following Pop up with "Yes":
The new Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY is now correctly assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST:
Reassign the IMG Project Z_LSC_TST
As displayed in the graphic below, the IMG Project Z_LSC_TST has been reset by the system.
This means, that you have to replace the IMG Project Z_LSC_TEST by the appropriate IMG Project Z_LSC_TST, which belongs to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST.
In order to do so, please position the Cursor on the IMG Project entry, press the Button "Display <> Change", and then the Button "Replace":
Quit the Pop up with "Yes":
Select the appropriate IMG Project Z_LSC_TST, which has to be assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST:
Quit the following Pop up with "No, later":
Quit the Information Pop up with "Enter" as well:
Finally the correct IMG Project Z_LSC_TST is reassigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_LSC_TEST with Status "green".
Adjust the Task List
As next step, the Task List M000000436 (Test of System Landscape Changes) has to be adjusted accordingly.
Option 1 (only applicable, if a parallel system should be added)
In case that a new system shall be added in parallel to the main Transport Path of the Project Track (Z_LSC_TEST (Source
System E2D-601)’, please proceed as follows:
Directly add the new QA-System E2D, Client 602 to the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)"
When launching the Task List M000000436 via Tr. SCMA, the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)" looks as follows:
As next step System the new QA-System E2D, Client 602 has to be added to the Task List M000000436.
This is done via Task List Standard functionality.
Launch Tr. SCMA and select the referring Task List M000000436.
Then press the Button "Change Task List", and position the Cursor on the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)".
As next step, please press the Button "Add System", in order to add the System E2D, Client 602 to the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)".
In case, that this is not successful, which should be the normal system behaviour, please proceed according to Option 2.
Option 2 (mandatory for all other Use Cases)
With Option 2 all systems, which belong to the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)", have to be deleted sequentially from the Task List at first.
As second step, the deleted systems, including the QA-System (System Role: "Target System") to be newly added, have to be reassigned to the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)" again. This has to be performed in the following order:
- Source System(s),
- Target System(s), and
- Production System(s) at last.
Sequentially delete all Systems from the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)"
Delete one System after the other from the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)" in Task List M000000436.
Therefore press the Button "Change Task List", and position the Cursor on the System Role "Pre-production". Then press the Button "Delete Entry":
Quit the following Pop up with "Yes":
As result, the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)" now looks like displayed in the graphic below:
Repeat this procedure, until all systems (E2D, Client 601 (Development), E2D, Client 603 (Pre-production) and E2D, Client 604 (Production)), have been deleted from the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D-601)" in the Task List.
Finally no systems are assigned anymore to the Project Track "Z_LSC_TEST (Source System E2D, Client 601)":
For Part 2, see document How to Add a System "On-the-Fly" to a ChaRM Project Track (Part 2).
End of Part 1 >>> Continue with Part 2