How to Remove a System "On-the-Fly" from a ChaRM Project Track?
In this Document, we will share some information how you can actually adjust your current Change Request Management Project Track Landscape in a running project by manually removing a system (QA-System) - basically "on-the-fly".
Recommended SAP Standard Procedure for System Landscape Changes with active ChaRM
The recommended SAP Standard Procedure for changing a System Landscape with active SAP Change Request Management consists of the following steps:
- Close the existing Change Cycle,
- Adjust the configuration in SAP Transport Management,
- Exchange the Logical Component assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project, and
- Open a new Change Cycle (and take over open Change Documents).
Removing a System from a Project Track on-the-Fly is technically feasible, in case that the prerequisites, which are described below, are met.
However it is not the recommended SAP Standard Procedure in order to perform System Landscape Changes for an active ChaRM Project Track.
Remove a System from a ChaRM Project Track "on-the-fly"
This document provides a detailed documentation about the Test Series, if it is technically feasible to remove a system from an existing Project Track on-the-fly, for which SAP Change Request Management has been activated.
In our test case the QA-System is removed from a 4-System Landscape (based on different clients) consisting of a
- Development System (DEV) (E2D, Client 601),
- Quality Assurance System (QAS) (E2D, Client 602),
- Pre-production System (PRE) (E2D, Client 603), and
- Production System (PRD) (E2D, Client 604).
So far the described procedure has been tested internally. Currently several customers are testing this scenario as well. After we have received their feedback regarding successful testing, this document will be published.
Prerequisites and Basic Definitions
In order to undergo the following Test Series, a number of Basic Definitions are made and some Prerequisites have to be met:
- Transport Requests
- Need to be in a consistent state,
- No transports are allowed to be waiting in the import queue of the system to be removed (in our case: the QA-System)! This is valid for Normal Changes. All Urgent Changes however have to be imported to the Production System before the System Landscapes Changes are performed! This is essential in order to keep consistency!
- If possible avoid Normal Change Documents with CRM User Status “To be Tested” before removing a System from a Project Track on-the-Fly.
- Must still be usable afterwards,
- Must still be deployed afterwards,
- This means, that transports waiting in the import queue of the Pre-production System can still be imported.
- Don't need to be reassigned to another project,
- Need to follow the current workflow.
- SAP TMS Adjustments need to happen anyway!
- Logical Components need to be adjusted anyway!
Furthermore the execution of the Test Series has been based on the following decisions and technical prerequisites:
- The Test Series has been carried out based on different clients in one system,
- Only Systems with System Role "Target System", in our case the Quality Assurance System, was removed from the referring Project Track,
- Adjust the Configuration in SAP Transport Management System:
- The same Transport Layer has been used!
- The Source System of Transport Requests stays the same!
- The Target of released Transport Requests stays the same (same target for export)! (in our Test Case: Target Group /QAS/)!,
- Open Transports can still be released to the Target Group /QAS/,
- SAP TMS Task: Swap System in Target Group /QAS/ and point Delivery Route from PRE to PRD,
- The Transport Target in SAP Change Request Management related database tables is still the same: Target Group /QAS/.
- Replace Logical Component
- Only one Logical Component was assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project as Starting Point for the Test Series,
- The Logical Component, which was assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project, has to be replaced, but not to be modified! The replacement took place with a new Logical Component, which has been prepared beforehand. In consequence this means, that a customer, who uses Solution Documentation in addition, has to replace the Logical Component in each affected Project and Business Process (-Step), to which it has been assigned to,
- The existing System Roles must not be changed!
- Adjust the Task List
- The referring Task List was adjusted utilizing the Task List Standard Functionality ('Add System', 'Delete System').
SAP Solution Manager Release Level
The verification has been performed on a SAP Solution Manager System Release 710, SP 10.
Goal of the Test Case
The Goal of this Test Case is the Removal of the QA-System E2D, Client 602 from an existing Project Track (consisting of a 4-tier System Landscape) "on-the-fly".
The SAP Solution Manager Project, on which SAP Change Request Management has been activated, the referring Task List, as well as all ongoing changes and transports can still be used afterwards.
Please notice, that the detailed steps of the Test Execution have to be performed in the described order!
The following step by step test documentation is illustrated by Screenshots. By clicking on a specific picture, you can increase the size of the graphic.
Changes in the SAP Transport Management System (SAP TMS)
At first, the required changes in the SAP Transport Management have to be performed.
Replace System E2D, Client 602 by System E2D, Client 603 in the Target Group /QAS/
Launch Tr. STMS on the Domain Controller System and choose Overview --> Transport Routes from the Menu.
Double-click on the Target Group /QAS/:
System E2D, Client 602, which is assigned to the Target Group /QAS/ now has to be replaced by System E2D, Client 603.
Press the Button "Display <> Change" and perform the Replacement:
Adjust the relevant Transport Routes
Please verify, if the Delivery Route from
- Target System E2D, Client 603 (Pre-production System) to
- Production System E2D, Client 604 (Production System) is still linked to the Transport Layer ZTST.
If this is not the case, you have to re-create this Delivery Route again:
As result, the missing Delivery Route from E2D, Client 603 to E2D, Client 604 is re-created again:
Distribute Changes to the Transport Domain
As next step you have to distribute and activate your changes to/in the referring Transport Domain.
Therefore press the Button "Distribute and Activate":
Required Changes in regards to Logical Component Assignment
Replace Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY in SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC
As next, the Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY, which is currently assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC has to be replaced.
Launch Tr. SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN in the SAP Solution Manager Working Client and select the referring SAP Solution Manager Project (in our test case: Maintenance Project Z_TEST_LSC).
Go to Tab "System Landscape" and position the Cursor on the assigned Logical Component.
In our case this is Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_4SY, which has to be replaced by the new Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_3SY.
In order to perform this, please press the Button "Replace Log. Components":
Choose the appropriate Logical Component (Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_3SY) from the Pop up:
Quit the next Pop up with "Yes":
Ignore the following system messages:
They system messages indicate the current status of the system (temporary inconsistent situation), as you are not following the recommended SAP Standard Procedure, and as not all required steps for system landcape changes "on-the-fly" have been performed yet. For instance, the current system landscape changes are not yet known to the referring Task List, which is utilized by the ChaRM Project.
Quit the next Warning Message with "ok":
The new Logical Component Z_SOLMAN_E2D_LANDSC_CHANGE_3SY is now assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC:
Reassign the IMG Project Z_TST_LSC
As displayed in the graphic below, the created IMG Project Z_TST_LSC has been reset by the system.
This means, that you have to replace the IMG Project Z_TEST_LSC by the appropriate IMG Project Z_TST_LSC, which belongs to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC.
In order to do so, please position the Cursor on the IMG Project, press the Button "Display <> Change", and then the Button "Replace":
Quit the next Pop up with "Yes":
Select the appropriate IMG Project Z_TST_LSC, which is still available in the list, and which belongs to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC:
Quit the following Pop up with "No, later":
Quit the Information Pop up with "Enter":
Finally the correct IMG Project Z_TST_LSC is re-assigned to the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC with Status "Green" again:
Adjust the Task List
As next Step, the Task List has to be adjusted accordingly.
Delete System E2D, Client 602 from the Task List
Launch Tr. SCMA and select the referring Task List M000000428 (Test of System Landscape Changes).
Press the Button "Change task list", and position the Cursor on "Quality Assurance System".
Then press the Button "Delete Entry" in order to delete System E2D, Client 602 from the Project Track "Z_TEST_LSC (Source System E2D-601)":
Quit the Pop up with "Yes":
The system asks you for a transport request, to which your change in regards to the Task List shall be saved to:
As result, the Project Track "Z_TEST_LSC (Source System E2D- 601)" now consists of the following systems:
- Maintenance Development System E2D, Client 601 (Source System),
- Pre-production System E2D, Client 603 (Target System), as well as
- Production System E2D, Client 604 (Production System).
The exisiting Project Track "Z_TEST_LSC (Source System E2D-601)" can be further used for Change Management activities.
The adjusted Task List M000000428 looks as follows:
In case that the Tasks within the Task List M000000428 are locked, after having removed System E2D, Client 602 from the
existing Project Track Z_TEST_LSC (Source System E2D-Client 601), please re-open all relevant Tasks again.
Perform a Refresh on the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC
As last step a refresh on the referring SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC, (on which SAP Change Request Management has been activated), has to be performed.
Launch Tr. SOLAR_PROJECT_ADMIN: select the SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC.
Go to Tab "Change Management":
Press the Button "Display <> Change", and then the Button "Refresh".
Quit the following Pop up with "ok":
The SAP Solution Manager Project Z_TEST_LSC is now completely refreshed and can be further used for Change Request Management Workflows:
Further Processing of existing Change Documents after Removing a System from a Project Track on-the-Fly
Further Processing of Normal Changes with User Status ‘To be Tested’
A specific Change Document (Normal Change) is in the User Status ‘To be Tested’, the generated Transport (Transport of Copies) stays in the Import Buffer of the QAS System, or has already been imported to the QAS System. The original transport has not yet been released.
Now you remove the QAS System from your Project Track on-the-Fly and the next Target System (e.g. Pre-production System) is put to the Target Group in SAP TMS instead.
After the system landscape change on-the-Fly, you know intend to process this Normal Change Document further. However you cannot set the next User Status ‘Successfully tested’.
The system quits with the message ‘Not all generated transports have been imported’, and resets the User Status back to ‘To be Tested’.
This is due to the following reason: When further processing the Normal Change SAP Change Request Management verifies, if a Transport of Copies
has been successfully imported to the Pre-production System, which now acts as your QAS System. As this is not the case, the User Status is automatically reset to ‘To be Tested’.
You have different Options available in order to avoid or overcome this situation:
Option 0: ‘Avoid Normal Changes Documents with CRM User Status ‘To be Tested’ beforehand performing System
Landscape Changes on-the-Fly’
If possible avoid Normal Change Documents with CRM User Status “To be Tested” before removing or adding a System from(to) a Project Track on-the-Fly.
Option 1: ‘Reset the Normal Change to User Status ‘In Development’
Reset the User Status to ‘In Development’ again, and then process the Change Document again. When setting the User Status ‘To be Tested’, the system will automatically create a new Transport of Copies, which can be imported to the Pre-production System via the Task List. From there on, you should be able to process the Change Document as normally.
Option 2: ‘Make the UI Object ‘RELEASE_COPY’ editable/executable for the User Status ‘To be Tested’
Go to Tr.SPRO
Change Control Management
Change Request Management Framework
Adjust UI Objects by User Status.
Select the Transaction Type for Normal Change and make the UI Object ‘Release_COPY’ editable/executable for the User Status ‘To be Tested’.
In consequence it is possible to manually create a Transport of Copies from the Transport Assignment Block in the Web UI and import it to the new Test System.
Further Processing of Normal Changes in all other User Statuses
The further processing of existing Change Documents in other User Statuses should work as usual.
It is also possible to close the current Change Cycle afterwards.
Uncompleted Change Documents are taken over and can be further processed within the new Change Cycle.
Processing of newly created Change Documents after Removing a System from a Project Track on-the-Fly
The processing of newly created Change Documents should run smoothly.
Evaluate the Impact of the executed System Landscape Changes on the configured ChaRM Workflows
Please be aware, that system landscape related changes, like described in this document, might have an impact on your configured ChaRM Workflows.
It has to be evaluated in detail, if the SAP Change Request Management Workflows have to be adjusted as well.