PEP Execution Document
This document gives an insight to the steps involved in carrying out a PEP Execution. Topics include monitoring a projection run using the Projection Monitor, the queuing mechanism and delivered process chains involved in the PEP Projection execution, and tools for analyzing errors. It also describes how to delete projections.
To view the projection status details the Projection Monitor Screen can be used. It is a centralized screen that enables the user to view the status of all types of PEP projections (Fiscal Period, Pay Period, What-if, Attrition and Backfill) at a single location. It gives details of executed projections, i.e. the number of employee/position records taken for calculation, number of employee/position results records generated. It also provides the status of whether the projection has successfully completed or is still executing.
Access the PEP monitor from the Portal path: PEP Maintenance->Projection scenario->Projection Monitor. The default screen shows projections that are currently executing or waiting to run (waiting for an available process chain) as shown below:
The Projection Scenario Queue section lists the projections that are waiting to run. The Status Monitor section lists projections that are currently running. The Process Chain that was assigned is listed. For more details about process chains refer to the Process Chain Assignment and the Pooling Program section listed below.
To view previously executed projections press the “Go To Previous Runs” button. The following screen will appear:
Provide the Projection ID and/or the userid and press the “Submit” button. A list of projections will appear. Select a projection to see the details of the projection run as shown below.
The Historical Monitor section gives the history of a previously run projection by listing the steps or activities completed during the projection run. The Projection Status will indicate if the activity was successful or ended with errors. The Process Chain and log ID that was used for the particular projection is also listed. The process chain used will determine which InfoCube will contain the projection results.
The Statistics Monitor gives the following statistics:
- The READ activity provides the number of Employee and Position master data records that qualified for the projection
- The CALC activity provides the number of Employee and Position results records that were written to the projection cube.
To view the status of a currently running projection, toggle back to the current projections screen by clicking on the “Go to Current Runs” button.
Process Chain Assignment and the Pooling Program
Once the “Calculate” button is clicked on the “Run Projection scenarios” screen, the corresponding projection id will sit in a queue table. The scheduled pooling program,/PBFBI/PEP_POOL, will then read this queue table and then assign the projection id to the respective process chain, if the process chain is free. The projection id remains in the queue table until it is assigned to a process chain. Therefore it is recommended to setup periodic scheduling of the pooling program so that queued projections will be launched.
The queue table entry for a projection id is automatically deleted once the projection id is assigned to a process chain by the scheduled pooling program and the projection runs successfully.
The PEP process chains and the corresponding infoproviders details are listed below.
Fiscal Period PEP
Process Chain (ID)
Position Monthwise DSO
Employee Monthwise DSO
Pay Period PEP
Process Chain (ID)
Position Pay Period DSO
Employee Pay Period DSO
Clearing the Queue table
If the job log or application log (see below) to /PBFBI/PEP_POOL states that ‘no chain is available’ to launch a projection, then either projections are currently executing in all the available chains or projections have failed to complete and have the process chains still locked. If this is the case the following can be done to clear the process chain:
- Table /PBFBI/PRJ_STTUS has the list of current projections and process chains. In the backend BI system execute transaction SE16 for table /PBFBI/PRJ_STTUS to see if there is an entry for any of the PEP process chains. If there are some with the runtype of N (new run) but you know for sure that the projection is no longer running, then it could be that the execution failed unexpectedly and the error status did not get set. You can verify this by checking the application log as discussed below. You should also check with the user listed in the status table to confirm this is the case before clearing the table entry!
- To clear the table entry, execute transaction SE37, enter function module /PBFBI/PRJ_MANUAL_OK and execute (press the Wrench icon or press F8). Click on the puzzle piece icon to enter data. The following data is required:
- Projid and Pchain as per the table entry in table /PBFBI/PRJ_STTU
- Proj_stat = R
- Press Execute
- After the function runs you can check the Results table. You should see 2 messages stating that the projection ID was successfully inserted entry into Historical Table and that the Status table entry was deleted. The Process chain will now be available for queued projection runs.
Application log for tracking down PEP errors
The detailed information of PEP execution errors can be tracked via transaction code SLG1 from the back end BI system. Below is the selection screen for viewing Application Logs:
Enter the desired Selection Criteria:
Object: The object for all PBF related logs is /PBFBI/PBF
Subobject: The Subobject for PEP is /PBFBI/PCP
Dates: The From and To date/times are defaulted to the current date and time. If the projection ran in a different time frame, as can be found on the Projection Monitor screen, then change the date / time selection accordingly.
After entering desired selection criteria and pressing execute a list of logs will be displayed. Continue to expand the items to find the detailed error messages as shown below.
Take the necessary steps to correct the reported errors. Then have the users launch a new projection.
The Delete Projection Results screen is a centralized screen that enables the user to delete all types of PEP projection IDs (Fiscal Period, Pay Period, What-if, Attrition and Backfill) at a single location. This screen is authorization specific, i.e. users will be able view all the projections that exist in the system but they can only delete projection IDs for which they are the owner or have deletion authority.
The Delete Projection screen has two sections as described below:
1. Selection Criteria Section
The projection IDs can be searched based on three types of filter criteria: FM dimensions along with other fields, user name, and projection IDs directly.
2. Projection ID Display Section
Based on the filter values provided by the user in the Selection Criteria section, the projections IDs will be retrieved upon clicking the Search button and displayed as follows:
- All the Fiscal Period reference projections IDs will be displayed separately.
- All the What-if projection IDs will be grouped together along with their respective Pay Period reference projection IDs.
- All Attrition and Backfill Projection IDs will be grouped together along with their respective Pay Period reference projection IDs.
Concept of Authorization in the Delete Projection Screen
Once the projection IDs are filtered and displayed, the select flag against each projection ID will be available only for selection based on the following:
Fiscal Period and Pay Period Projection ID
The user will be able to view all projection IDs but can add only those projection IDs to the deletion queue for which he or she is the owner or has proper authorization. The Select flag will be enabled only for those projection IDs for which the user is owner or is authorized.
What-if and Attrition and Backfill Projection IDs
1. If the user is the owner of the reference projection ID / has deletion authorization:
The user will be able to view all What-if or Attrition and Backfill projection IDs under a given reference projection ID. The user can selectively add the What-if and Attrition and Backfill IDs to the queue. If the user adds the reference projection ID to the queue, then all the underlying What-if or Attrition and Backfill projections will be added to queue by default.
2. If the user is not the owner of the reference projection ID / does not have deletion authorization:
The user will be able to view all the What-if or Attrition and Backfill projection IDs under a given reference projection ID. The Select flag will be disabled as the user is not the projection owner nor has deletion authorization.