Recommended settings for Role Index Provider on Enterprise Portal
The first time that the portal starts up, all portal roles assigned to at least one user are indexed. Roles are also indexed automatically when one of the following changes is made:
- A new role is assigned to users for the first time. The index runs immediately.
- Objects are added to, or removed from, a role. The index runs after the interval specified in the RolesIndexProviderService service in SAP NetWeaver Administrator (default: 10 minutes).
- The title of a role changes. The index runs after the interval specified in the RolesIndexProviderService service in SAP NetWeaver Administrator (default: 10 minutes).
Sometimes Role Index Provider stops working and Suggestion Provider does not supply portal users with suggestions when they type text in the Portal Search field at runtime. Please refer the help document: Configuring Suggestion Providers - Portal - SAP Library to know more details about Suggestion Providers.
Please make below settings for proper functioning of Role Index Provider:
First change is to extend the interval time:
- Go to NWA: Operations > Systems > Start&Stop > Java Applications
- Search for *index*, select com.sap.portal.pcd.rolesindexprovider and press on “Portal Service Configuration”
- Change the property “com.sap.portal.pcd.rolesindexprovider.modificationInterval” to a bigger interval, the time is in millisecond, currently it 600000 which are 10 mins, I would recommend to change it to at least two days.
- Press Back and restart the service.
Second change is to save file per instance, please do it only if you can restart the cluster.
- Go to NWA: Configuration > Infrastructure > Java System Properties > Show Advanced Properties
- Go to “PCD Generic Layer” and change the property index.policy to “INSTANCE”
- Restart the cluster.