Advanced Client Profiling
There is a new profiling functionality available since Analysis for Office 1.4 SP4.
The purpose of this profiling is only for support cases, means if SAP needs more data for solving a customer incident. But the strength of this profiling makes its worth to show it here.
Please keep in mind that you will never get support for this functionality!
Activation of the Profiling
At the registry entry
you have to create a string value called “ClientProfiling”. The enable the profiling the value should be “True”. Everything else is deactivating the profiling.
If the profiling is enabled it’s not possible to enable the BW Server Tracing in parallel!
Using the Profiling
After restarting Analysis for Office every interaction will be captured.
After you did the steps you need to profile you can open the results via the help menu:
The following screen will occur:
The bottom of the screen shows you the summary:
- How much time was used on client side for processing (5792ms)
- How many RFC calls were trigged (11) and how many time was used for that (301ms)
- How much time the user spent in dialogs (6812ms)
In that easy usable tree view you are able to navigate in each of your interactions.
Some detailed explanations:
“Step 1: 5481 / 0ms, Insert Query ‘RSDDSTSTAT’ Overall”
In that line we are able to see that I inserted a Query. That step took 5481ms overall processing time, excluding the time that I spent in dialogs, means the application was idling (for example entering the password).
“>> RFC: 279 (Count 9), Client: 5202, User at dialog: 6812”
In that line we can see that Step 1 caused 9 RFC calls. 279ms were spent for that. 5202ms were spent for client processing time. Step 1 mentioned 5481ms in sum, that the sum of 279ms RFC time and 5202ms client time. I spent 6812ms inscreens like entering password or selecting the query.
“1059/993ms, Update UI”
That’s one of the most important. In that profiling step I can easily find out if one of my navigation steps (especially if I am doing navigation via VBA) is causing (unexpected) RFC calls. In the given example we can see that the update of UI caused 2 RFC calls. The calls are listed underneath: BICS_PROV_SET_STATE and BICS_PROV_GET_RESULT_SET.
The button “COPY” in the screen gives you the chance to export the results.
(Back to the purpose of this functionality)
You can attach that to a customer incident to help SAP solving your issue.
Please answer to that document or write me a private message if you need more details to a specific profiling step.
I will put them to this document…