FAQ - ABAP Post-Copy Automation
This document provides frequently asked questions for ABAP post-copy automation offered by SAP Landscape Virtualization Management.
- 1 General
- 2. Offering
- 2.1 Which use cases are supported?
- 2.2 Which products are covered?
- 2.3 What activities are automated for the initial copy process?
- 2.4 What activities are automated for the system refresh procedure?
- 2.5 What features does the framework offer?
- 2.6 What future activities are planned to get automated for ABAP systems?
- 3. Usage
1.1 What is ABAP post-copy automation?
ABAP post-copy automation automates most of the crucial activities that have to be performed after the copy or refresh of an SAP NetWeaver system or an SAP Business Suite system based on SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP (for example, SAP Business Warehouse or SAP SCM). It is part of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management, enterprise edition.
Instead of performing post-copy activities manually, profit from expert knowledge in machine-readable format and make your overall system copy experience easier, faster and more reliable.
1.2 How are the post-copy activities automated?
The automation is performed with the ABAP task manager for lifecycle management automation, our framework for the automation of ABAP lifecycle management tasks. It is part of every ABAP system based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0 and higher (as of a certain SP level) and easy-to-use for everybody familiar with SAP ABAP systems. For the task of post-copy automation, we offer special task lists reflecting expert knowledge especially for the copy and refresh of SAP systems. You can parameterize and adapt the task lists to your requirements.
1.3 How does ABAP post-copy automation relate to SAP Landscape Virtualization Management?
ABAP post-copy automation is part of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management, enterprise edition. You can perform the automated ABAP post-copy activities either integrated as part of the reliable and fast end-to-end system copy and refresh process of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management (including automated cloning with network isolation, system rename and automated post-copy activities) or run it stand-alone without having SAP Landscape Virtualization Management installed or directly involved. In both cases, you require a corresponding license installed.
1.4 Where can I get further details?
- Before you use ABAP post-copy automation (PCA) with the enterprise edition of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management or with the ABAP task manager for lifecycle management automation, read first the ABAP PCA Installation Guide and second the ABAP PCA Configuration Guide on SAP Service Marketplace at: http://service.sap.com/instlvm
- If your system is an SAP Business Warehouse (BW) system or connected to an SAP BW system as BW source system, read in addition to the two guides listed in the previous section above as third guide the ABAP Post-Copy Automation Configuration Guide for SAP Business Warehouse on SAP Service Marketplace at: http://service.sap.com/instlvm
- For more information about using the ABAP task manager for lifecycle management automation, call transaction STC01 in your system and choose the Online Help pushbutton directly in the tool.
- Especially for post-copy automation, there is a Learning Map available as described here.
- For an overview of other automated use cases for ABAP systems outside of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management, see the ABAP Technical Configuration page.
- For troubleshooting information, see the Technology Troubleshooting Guide.
2.1 Which use cases are supported?
You can execute both the automated activities after an initial system copy process (where a new system is created as copy of a source system) and after the refresh of an existing system.
2.2 Which products are covered?
- With our ABAP basis content, we are offering post-copy activities for all systems based on SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.0 and higher.
- In addition, we are offering specific automation content especially for more and more SAP Business Suite systems, such as SAP CRM, providing further automation on top of the basis content.
- Also, we are providing automation content especially for SAP Business Warehouse systems (and systems connected to an SAP Business Warehouse).
For more information, see What's New – Post-Copy Automation with SAP Landscape Virtualization Management 2.0.
2.3 What activities are automated for the initial copy process?
Most of the post-activities relevant for our customers after the copy of a system based on SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP are already automaed – including the deletion of obsolete information from the original system (such as the clean-up of ABAP basis tables) and the automated post-copy configuration (such as the configuration of standard jobs, licenses, logon groups, system profiles, operation modes, secure store, spool and TMS, just to name a few).
2.4 What activities are automated for the system refresh procedure?
For the refresh of existing systems, existing configuration gets persisted, so that your existing system will behave the same way after you have refreshed it with the latest data from your source system. Be it your existing configuration for ALE, archiving, batch jobs/server groups, CCMS, customer-defined tables, OS commands, licenses, log-on groups, op modes, printer/spool, RFC, SLD, SCOT, STRUST, TMS, users, ... – all these settings can be handled accordingly.
In addition, automated pre-checks and the clean-up and post-configuration activities mentioned above are provided, making the overall refresh of an existing system easy and smooth.
2.5 What features does the framework offer?
With the ABAP task manager for lifecycle management automation, you can easily create and maintain variants of the pre-delivered automation task lists that can then be executed without dialog phase (such as with the execution as part of the automated end-to-end system copy and refresh process with SAP Landscape Virtualization Management, offering a fast and reliable system copy experience with the push of a button) or with only some parameters predefined by you. Optionally, you can also extend pre-delivered content with your own tables and reports.
After the execution, you find detailed information in the log file for every performed activity, offering full transparency on the automation process.
2.6 What future activities are planned to get automated for ABAP systems?
Java post-copy automation already covers the most important Java basis activities. If you have the requirement to get more activities automated, enter your requirement or any idea for improvement on SAP Idea Place (category System Provisioning) and expose it to the community. There, you can also browse, collaborate and vote on ideas entered by other customers.
If you have the requirement to get more activities automated or have any other idea to enhance our offering, enter your requirement on the SAP Idea Place(category System Provisioning) and expose it to the community. There, you can also browse, collaborate and vote on ideas entered by other customers.
3.1 How can I get ABAP post-copy automation?
The framework is part of every ABAP system (as of a certain release and SP level).
The content is provided by SAP Notes, for which we are offering optimized procedures that support you to apply the content in your affected systems (for example, with our Note Analyzer).
In addition, you have to install a license of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management.
3.2 How can I execute ABAP post-copy automation?
- You start the ABAP task manager by calling transaction STC01 in your system.
- You open the relevant task list (for example, the basis task list for the initial system copy).
- You parameterize and adapt the task lists to your requirements and save it as own variant.
- Now, you either execute the variant directly from the ABAP task manager or you integrate the variant into the end-to-end system provisioning process of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management.
- For future procedures, you can re-use the existing variant and profit from reliable, repeatable, and fast system copy and system refresh procedures nearly as easy as the click of a button.
3.3 What do "Lower limit" and "Upper limit" mean in the BDLS task lists?
In the task lists to automatically adapt the logical system names via BDLS, you have to specify the parameters "Lower limit" and "Upper limit":
- In the "Lower limit" field, enter the former logical system name
- In the "Upper limit", enter the new logical system name
The task list will then replace all occurrences of the former logical system name with the new one.
3.4 Where can I find further troubleshooting information?
For ABAP Post-Copy Automation, there is a troubleshooting guide available in the SCN Wiki.