FAQ - SAP Gateway for Microsoft
-- General Questions --
- What is SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft is the latest product to help integrate SAP data in Microsoft products. Please note that GWM had been previously known as SAP NetWeaver Gateway Productivity Accelerator for Microsoft. For more information please visit http://bit.ly/1ARevpB
- What are the capabilities of SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
GWM is an interoperability framework that enables creation of enterprise ready applications for Office 2010, 2013, Office 365 and any C# based applications. For more information please visit, http://bit.ly/NWGWPAM
- What is the target audience for SAP Gateway for Microsoft based solutions?
Any customer using Microsoft in their environment can benefit from SAP Gateway for Microsoft. SAP GWM ensures that SAP data can be consumed in Microsoft productivity applications such as Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, Word, etc., while taking care of security and scalability aspects. The latest release supports integration with cloud based Office 365, SharePoint online.
- I am an SAP / MSFT customer and I would like to evaluate SAP Gateway for Microsoft: How can I get access to SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
You can download GWM from http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Installation and Upgrades -> A-Z Index -> G -> GWM -> GWM 1.0 -> Installation ->51047117. If you cannot it, please reach out to your Account Executive and ask for a Test and Evaluation Agreement (Material Number 7016731 or 7017974 (from January 2015)). In addition there is a Developer Trial available on the SAP store which contains the Visual Studio add-in (Getting started with SAP Gateway for Microsoft Developer Trial)
- How can I learn more about SAP Gateway for Microsoft pricing?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft has a user based license. For details please contact your SAP account executive.
- What social media channels can I follow for SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Please follow us on twitter at https://twitter.com/saptechnology and on https://twitter.com/SAP_MSFT Follow Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SAPMicrosoft. SAP page is a good source of information.
- Can I extend workflow getting business context data into my Microsoft Outlook application using the Workflow Template?
Yes, additional information about workflows and any related business data can be coded in ABAP using SAP Gateway user exits. This information can be made available into the associated entities of the generated C# code. For samples, take a look a the self paced learning for SAP Gateway for Microsoft Workflow templates: http://scn.sap.com/community/interoperability-microsoft/blog/2013/10/29/gwpam-workflow-template
- What are the most common use cases and scenarios that SAP Gateway for Microsoft addresses?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft provides several templates for the most used scenarios for Excel integration and for the Outlook such as Workflow, Contact and Calendar, and allows an easy and fast creation of related applications. However, SAP GWM is not limited to Outlook and Excel, but can support integrations in Word, PowerPoint, Notes and any Visual C# application. Both Office on premise and on the cloud are supported. Additionally SAP Fori customers can leverage investments in both SAP and Microsoft technologies and extend the reach of SAP to Microsoft Office products
- What SAP license pre-requisites does the customer need to be able to deploy SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Customer needs any SAP end-user licenses for GWM based solutions
- What Microsoft license pre-requisites does the customer need to be able to deploy SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Customer can integrate with MSFT technologies they own. More on integration with Microsoft products on Technet
-- Positioning --
- How does SAP Gateway for Microsoft relate to SAP Gateway?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft makes the consumption of SAP Gateway based OData services in Microsoft applications easy. You do not have to care about the plumbing, but can really focus on the application.
- What SAP Gateway for Microsoft has to offer when it comes to Mobility? How does it relate to SAP Mobile Platform?
SAP GWM helps to extend the mobile and Fiori scenarios to Microsoft applications, both on mobile devices and on the desktops. SAP Gateway for Microsoft’s road map includes further integration with SAP Mobile Platform (SMP).
- How does SAP Gateway for Microsoft relate to SAP Cloud offering?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft can help integrate both SAP on premise and on the cloud offerings with Microsoft products, including cloud based Office 365 running on Windows Azure.
- How does SAP Gateway for Microsoft relate to Duet Enterprise? What should I use to integrate SAP in Microsoft products?
Duet Enterprise supports only integration with SharePoint 2010 and 2013 on premise. If you are looking for integration with any Microsoft products and technologies, SAP Gateway for Microsoft (GWM) is your choice as it is a strategic interoperability product for integration with all the Microsoft products, developed by SAP and supported by both companies, SAP and Microsoft. While we continue to support Duet Enterprise, new development is planned for GWM, not Duet Enterprise.
- I have already Duet Enterprise, why should I consider SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Duet Enterprise supports integration with SharePoint 2010 and 2013 on premise only. A lot of customers have asked for integration beyond SharePoint -- and that is what SAP Gateway for Microsoft offers, including integration with cloud-based Office 365 and SharePoint online. You can use both products in parallel.
- Do I need to migrate from Duet Enterprise to SAP Gateway for Microsoft? Is there a direct migration path?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft and Duet Enterprise are two "parallel" products that do not need a migration. Duet Enterprise focuses on the integration of SAP data in SharePoint on premise while Microsoft SAP Gateway for Microsoft integrates in Microsoft Office and other Windows / C# based applications, including cloud based Office 365. Both products can coexist in the landscape, but going forward GWM is the product for prospective customers to consider.
- Which SAP applications can I integrate with Microsoft applications using SAP Gateway for Microsoft? Is it limited to specific SAP ABAP applications? Can I use SAP Gateway for Microsoft to integrate Business Objects BI and other JAVA-based SAP apps?
Since SAP Gateway for Microsoft utilizes SAP Gateway Odata services all the different SAP backend systems that can be connected to SAP Gateway can also expose data for SAP Gateway for Microsoft. This can be BI data (which is exposed via SAP Gateway) or it could be from a Java stack that exposes OData directly.
-- Technical --
- What are the requirements for running SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft makes the consumption of OData services in Microsoft products simple. GWM comes as an add-in in Visual Studio (2010 / 2012 / 2013) and provides templates for Microsoft Outlook and Excel. Any C# based application can also leverage GWM.
For the Microsoft Office 365 Cloud based integration a Microsoft Azure Subscription is required as well. For more information see the Product Availability Matrix posted here:
- What does the interoperability layer provide ?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft interoperability layer provides not only out of the box security (e.g. Single Sign On), but also supportability and monitoring features, and ensures scalable projects by integrating in SAP Solution Manager (providing an end-to-end tracing) or enabling single activity trace in SAP Gateway. It also makes sure that configuration (e.g. connection parameters, logging settings, security options, ...) can be centrally maintained via Microsoft Group Policies.
- How does SSO work via SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Currently the product supports Kerberos, SAML2.0, X.509, and Basic authentication for Single Sign On
- How does SAP Gateway for Microsoft authorizations work?
Since SAP Gateway for Microsoft utilizes SAP Gateway OData services, SAP authorizations are still the gatekeeper of what information a user is allowed. SAP Gateway for Microsoft does not have a separate authorization configuration.
- What components do I have to install for SAP Gateway for Microsoft? Do I have to install a new server?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft comes as an add-in to Visual Studio. The resulting project can be deployed on the clients. Check Azure cloud requirements for Office 365 App for Office add-in.
- How can we find services developed by SAP for specific SAP apps that we can leverage for SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Unfortunately we do not have a generic Odata catalog for SAP services (like the ENTERPRISE SERVICES WORKPLACE) yet. However, the idea behind SAP Gateway and Odata is to be able to easily and quickly create any service that you are looking for. Also with SAP Fiori a lot of services have been created -- so you might also look at what SAP Fiori applications are available and check the underlying OData services from there.
-- Partner --
- I am a SAP / MSFT Partner. Why would I consider SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft provides the interoperability framework and ensures a secure and scalable integration of SAP data into Microsoft products. Instead of spending a lot of time to solve the technical plumbing, you as a partner can concentrate on building the application that your customers are looking for.
- I am a SAP / MSFT Partner: How can I get access to SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP GWM is available via an existing NetWeaver developer license. You can download GWM from http://service.sap.com/swdc -> Installation and Upgrades -> A-Z Index -> G -> GWM -> GWM 1.0 -> Installation ->51047117. We are in the process of releasing a developer trial version on SCN.
- As a partner where can I get SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP Service Marketplace. No download needed on Microsoft side.
- Do customers need separate license for SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
Yes, SAP Gateway for Microsoft is user based license. Customers will need to pay per user license in order to deploy and use SAP Gateway for Microsoft. We are also working on an OEM model for partners.
- What about pricing for SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft is a user-based licensing. If we look at the big picture of SAP Gateway, with around 10000 SAP Gateway customer installations and high adoption of SAP Fiori, we see a huge potential for customers to adopt SAP Gateway for Microsoft. Partners will certainly benefit from the high adoption rate of SAP Gateway.
- Is SAP Gateway for Microsoft a joint product between SAP and Microsoft?
SAP Gateway for Microsoft is developed solely by SAP, but Microsoft helps us to promote this product.
-- Training --
- Is there training available for SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
No special training is required for SAP Gateway for Microsoft. SAP GWM leverages the available skillsets like .NET and ABAP. A very comprehensive self-paced learning is available on SCN http://scn.sap.com/community/interoperability-microsoft
- As a developer, where can I find tutorials/documents that can help me in building various apps using SAP Gateway for Microsoft?
A very extensive Self-Paced Learning is available on the SCN, http://scn.sap.com/community/interoperability-microsoft
- What development expertise do I need to develop a SAP Gateway for Microsoft based solution?
You need limited expertise with .Net development and knowledge of SAP Gateway OData services consumption. SAP Gateway for Microsoft opens SAP to the world of .Net developers.