How to analyse the Activation Phase (ACT_UPG) during a SUM upgrade
If you face an error during the ACT_UPG phase of your upgrade, you can find the list of objects in the ACTUPG.ELG file (default upgrade directory : /usr/sap/put/log).
For example, the errors may look something like this :
During the analysis, one should bear in mind that errors can also be caused by errors that occur during the activation of dependent objects. This means that the error messages for several objects may have one common cause.
Finding the cause of the Activation Error
For the purpose of analysis, you should first inspect which request/group of requests the object was a part of. You can check this in transaction se03 as follows :
i) Run transaction se03
ii) Select the 'Search Objects in Requests'
iii) Enter the object to be inspected and select the appropriate object type
iv) Select the checkbox for "Also Search for Subobjects (not for generic entry)"
v) For the status, select both the 'Modifiable' and 'Released' options
The result will show you the transport request/group of requests this object belonged to.
Based on the kind of transport request it was a part of, you can classify what kind of object it is.
Possible results :
- The object occurs in an SAPKCCC* request : Customer object
- The object occurs in an SAPKCCG request : Generated object
- The object is contained in an SAPKCCR object list or was adjusted in transaction SPDD : Modified object
- The object is contained in an SAP object list for an add-on or Support Package : Delivered object
- The object is not contained in any request but is activated as a dependent object : Depenent object
Common Error Scenarios
Scenario 1 :
Object A uses object B, if B does not exist, A cannot be activated
There are two possibilities :
- The object shows in the activation log and could not be activated. Usually, this object will have a specific activation error associated with it. In this case, you must proceed to analyze the activation error in detail. You may need help from BC-DWB-DIC expert and can raise an OSS message in this component.
- The object does not show in the activation log. In this case, you must first determine what type of object it is.
- Generated objects : DDIC objects were used in the generating program of the source release that are no longer delivered in the target release. In this case you must find the object in the source release and ask the owner of the component how to proceed
- Customer objects : Check if the object exists in the SAPKCCC request or why it does not exist there. Check if it exists in the source system.
- SAP Object : The object used is an SAP object. You may be using an object deleted by SAP in the new release. You will need to adapt your own development. For the upgrade to continue, you can ignore this error.
Scenario 2 :
- An object cannot be activated due to duplicate/identical fields
- The table uses structures, Includes or append structures and the field occurs in several of these structures
- The table may have been modified in the source release, for example, a field is created. But this field is delivered again with the target release. In this case, the modification adjustment in transaction SPDD is incomplete
- Action : You need to delete the duplicate fields. Before that you can make a copy of the tables if they contain data. This needs to be activated and saved. You need to log in the shadow instance to delete the duplicate fields in transaction SE11
- An index cannot be activated because the same fields are already included in another index
- One of the two indices is a customer index. In some cases, the customer is asked to create secondary indexes in the source release, this index is delivered with the new release. This will cause a conflict. The customer index is then superfluous.
- Action : As indices have no influence on table entries, you can ignore these errors and continue the upgrade. After the upgrade, you can delete the duplicated index
For information on the Performance during the Activation phase, and some known errors that occur during this phase, you can check the following Document :