Step by Step guide to update Business Process Management System to Process Orchestration System:
This blog explains how to update Business Process Management (BPM) system to Process Orchestration (PO) system. A BPM system can now be updated to a Process Orchestration (PO) system which will provide Advanced Adapter Engine(AEX) in addition. This means you can now model, implement, integrate and monitor business processes and exchange information from customers across distributed applications on the same system!
Update of BPM System to PO System is supported from 731 SP0 onwards. Here are steps that need to be followed in order to update BPM system to PO system.
Following Systems are involved in the update process.
- BPM System
- System Landscape Directory (SLD)
- Solution Manager
Following Information is required before update can be started.
- Administrator Username/Password for the BPM System.
- Username/Password on System Landscape Directory system who can execute update procedure.
- Username/Password for Solution Manager System.
- Username/Password to download content from Download Manager.
Let us assume that SID of BPM System is “JSB”.
1. Configure System Landscape Directory (SLD) to BPM system
- Go to SAP NetWeaver Administrator of BPM System (http://hostname:portnumber/nwa).
- Navigate to Configuration > Scenarios >Configuration Wizard >Functional Units.
- Choose “System Landscape Directory” and click “Enable Automatically”. This will start a wizard.
- Choose “Use the existing remote SLD option” if there is already an SLD system available otherwise choose “set up a new local SLD”. Provide SLD system’s details and username/password of SLD System as shown in the below picture and click next.
2. Add Additional Roles to User which is used for updating the BPM System to PO System.
- Navigate to SAP NetWeaver Administrator -> Configuration->Security ->Identity Management.
- Search for User which performs update procedure (In this case, "Administrator" User) and add the following roles as shown in the picture and save it.
3. Create Destinations on BPM System
- Navigate to SAP NetWeaver Administrator -> Configuration->Infrastructure ->Destinations.
Create two Destinations with names SLD_Client and SLD_DataSupplier.
- Under Destinations tab, click on “create” button.
- Provide the destination name as “SLD_Client” and choose “HTTP” from the value help of destination type and click “next”.
- Provide details about the SLD system’s url, SID, Client number and language and click on “Next”.
- Choose “Basic” from Authentication’s value help and provide username/password for SLD system and click “Finish”.
- Destination for SLD_DATASUPPLIER has to be created in the same manner.
- After creating SLD_Client and SLD_DataSupplier destinations tab should look like this.
4. Synchronize Metadata of BPM System to SLD of Solution Manager System
- In SAP NetWeaver Administrator, navigate to Configurations-> Infrastructure -> SLD Data Supplier Configuration.
- Target URL in SLD Data Supplier should show the link configured in previous step. If the Target URL is correct, then click on “Send and Collect Data” button.
- This should show successful message at the top.
5. Check SLD System whether BPM System got registered
- Go to SLD System (http://sldsystem:portnumber/sld) and login.
- Go to Home->Technical Systems.
- Choose “Web AS Java” from the drop down menu of Technical System type and filter with BPM System’s SID. It should show an entry for this SID. Otherwise, it means that synchronization has failed. Check configurations done in previous steps and try again. If everything is okay, please proceed further.
6. Synchronize BPM System details from System Landscape Directory to Solution Manager System.
- To synchronize BPM system details from SLD to Solution Manager, a background job called “LANDSCAPE FETCH” should be started in Solution Manager.
- Login to Solution Manager System.
- Go to transaction “SMSY_SETUP”.
- Choose “System and Landscape Directory (SLD)” and click on “Schedule Data Transfer from TMS/SLD”.
- In the confirmation window, Click “Y”.
- In the next screen, click on “Immediate” button and Save it.
- Click on “Save” button.
- Status message will be shown at the bottom of the screen.
Check the status of background job:
- To check the status of the background job, go to transaction “sm36”.
- Click on “Own jobs” button.
- Once the job is finished, status will be updated accordingly.
If “LANDSCAPE FETCH” job fails, then follow the below mentioned steps alternatively. Otherwise proceed to next chapter.
- Go to transaction “SE38”.
- Run “SMSY_FETCH_SYSTEM_UPDATE” report
- Provide BPM system’s “SID” against System identifier and choose corresponding “System Type”.
- Click on “Read Data from SLD”.
- This will Show a success message as shown the picture below.
7. System Landscape Maintenance (SMSY) Administration
- Go to “SMSY” transaction.
- The SID of the BPM System should be visible under “Product Systems” -> “SAP NetWeaver”.
- Click on the “SID” on the left pane and check whether the usages types mentioned are same as the ones on the BPM System (go to http://bpmhostname:portnumber ->Usage Type Information).
- In case you don’t find the SID under “SAP NetWeaver”, search for SID under Product Systems and proceed.
- Click on header data, Incase that the product assignment is wrong, assign it to correct product assignment by clicking in Change Product Assignment and save it.
8. Create Logical Component.
- Go to transaction “SMSY”.
- Click on “System Groups and Logical Components”.
- Click on “Display<->Change” button and go to Logical Components-> SAP NETWEAVER -> Application Server JAVA.
- Right Click on “Application Server Java” and click on “Create New Logical Components”.
- Provide Logical Component, here “Z_SID” (choose any name). Provide other details accordingly and click “Continue”.
- Click on value help of “Demo”.
- Choose the SID of the BPM system and click Save.
9. Download Stack file by creating a Maintenance Optimizer transaction request.
- Go to Solution Manager workcenter transaction (SOLMAN_WORKCENTER).
- Go to Change Management -> Maintenance Optimizer-> New to create a new Maintenance Optimizer transaction.
- This will open “New Maintenance Optimizer Request” in a browser. Choose the Product Version. It will list all the Product systems that are assigned to this particular Product Version.
- Choose SID the BPM System which needs to be upgraded and click on continue.
- Choose “Calculate Files Automatically – Recommended” as the File selection Mode and click on continue.
- Select the update option “Maintenance” and click on continue.
- Choose Target stack accordingly from the drop down menu and check “Advanced Adapter Engine Extnd” as “Additionally Installable Java Instances” and click on continue.
Note: You may choose to be on the same support pack as well.
- In “Confirm Target” phase, Check the details of the target and click Continue.
- In “Choose Add-on Products” phase, Additional Add-ons can be installed, choose the ones that needs to be installed and click on continue. If none of the Additional Add-ons needs to be installed just click on continue.
- In “Select OS/DB-Dependent Files” phase, click on the arrow against Operating system that the BPM System is on and check the following options and click on continue.
1. All the files under “Database independent” option.
2. All the files under the database on which BPM System is running. For example, check all the files under “ORACLE” in case database of BPM System is “ORACLE”.
3. All the files under the Operating System node itself.
- In the next screen, it will list all the NON-ABAP SCAs that needed for update. Click on continue.
- In “Confirm Selection” phase, choose “Download basket” to add files to download basket and click on continue.
- In “Download Files” phase, click on “Stack files” tab and Download xml format of stack.xml by clicking on Download link against “Cross-System Stack.xml”.
- Software Update Manager (SUM) tool will as well be added to the download basket.
Download the deployables using “Download Manager” tool. Download Manager can be downloaded from SAP Service Market Place. After download is complete, copy the stack file into the same folder.
The rest of the update has to be done using Software Update Manager (SUM) tool which is explained in the following link: