Web Channel Builder: automatic repair of shop configuration when modules are deleted
Implement new modules or module extension in a customer system
Customers and partners are able to implement complete new modules or module extensions within a customer namespace for already delivered modules and they are also able to deploy these customer-specific modules to a custom web site. How to implement a module extension and how to deploy this to a custom web site is explained in the Development and Extension Guide – see the links at the end of the article.
After these customer-specific modules are deployed to the server, they can be used within shops. The web Channel Builder has to be used to maintain the shop configuration. Here, a new namespace can be set for a module extension or new modules can be added to the configuration. After the approval, this configuration gets active and finally these customer-specific modules are used within an online shop.
Figure 1: module extension, name space can be changed
Figure 2: add new customer-specific module
Deletion of modules or module extensions
In some cases modules or module extensions are deleted either accidently or on purpose. This will lead to the fact that these modules won’t be deployed to the J2EE-server anymore. As a result all shops which are using these deleted modules are getting invalid and cannot be started anymore.
When starting a shop with deleted modules this SystemException occurs:
com.sap.wec.tc.core.common.exceptions.SystemException: SEVERE: The configuration “thisIsInvalidConfiguration” of the Application “Invalid” is inconsistent and can’t be performed. Use the Web Channel Builder to fix the issues in the configuration !
Selected namespace "customer" of module "com.sap.common" is not deployed
Module "mymodule" is not part of the deployment unit
Selected namespace "customer" of module "myaccounts" is not deployed
Selected namespace "customer" of module "checkout" is not deployed
Automatic Repair of the shop configuration
Now, the Web Channel Builder can be used to adjust the configuration so that the shop can properly start without any errors.
The following steps describe how to get a new valid active configuration:
- Open Web Channel Builder
- Navigate to the invalid shop and then to the ACTIVE CONFIGURATION tab
- Copy the active configuration and give it a new name
- This leads to the PENDING CONFIGURATION tab and the severe errors are shown in the error log
Figure 3: Configuration with deleted modules
1) 5. Clicking the Edit button leads to a confirmation popup which informs the user that an automatic repair will be executed
Figure 4: Automatic repair
6. After the automatic repair has finished a success message is displayed together with the information about which repairs have been performed.
Figure 5: result of automatic repair
1) 7. Click the save button and approve the configuration so that it will be activated.
After that the configuration becomes active. As a result the “old” invalid configuration expires and won’t be used in the online shop anymore.
There are two possible severe errors and their repair actions:
- module is deleted and is not deployed:
Error Message: “Selected module myModule could not be located”
Repair Action: module will be removed from the configuration
- module extension is deleted and is not deployed:
Error Message: “Selected namespace myNamespace of module myModule could not be located”
Repair Action: the next available namespace will be set to active e.g. module extension of namespace “customer” is deleted, but the module from namespace “sap” is deployed, then the modules’ namespace is set to “sap” – see for example the checkout module above.
The automatic repair is a new feature and will be available with the latest patch of the Web Channel Experience Management version 2.0, 3.0 and 3.0 SP 01.
- Development and Extension Guide for WECM 2.0: chapter 8.3: Creating a Custom Web Site and Custom Web Channel Builder
- Development and Extension Guide for WECM 3.0:
chapter 9.1: Creating a Custom Web Site and Custom Web Channel Builder,
chapter 9.2: Extending Modules
- Web Channel Management Documentation http://help.sap.com/wec