Step by Step guide to update Advanced Adapter Engine System to Process Orchestration System
This blog explains how to update Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX) system to Process Orchestration (PO) system.
Advanced Adapter Engine Extended (AEX) is a Java only installation of SAP NetWeaver Process Integration (PI) which was introduced from SAP NetWeaver 7.3 on. Such an AEX system can now be updated to a Process Orchestration (PO) system which will provide SAP NetWeaver Business Process Management and SAP NetWeaver Business Rules Management in addition. This means you can now model, implement, integrate and monitor business processes and exchange information from customers across distributed applications on the same system!
Upgrade of AEX System to PO System is supported from 731 SP0 onwards. Here are steps that need to be followed in order to update AEX system to PO system.
Following Systems are involved in the update process.
- AEX System
- System Landscape Directory (SLD)
- Solution Manager
Following Information is required before update can be started.
- Administrator Username/Password for the AEX System.
- Username/Password on System Landscape Directory system who can execute update procedure.
- Username/Password for Solution Manager System.
- Username/Password to download content from Download Manager.
Let us assume that SID of AEX System is “O99”.
1. Configure System Landscape Directory (SLD) to AEX system:
- Go to SAP NetWeaver Administrator of AEX System (http://hostname:portnumber/nwa).
- Navigate to Configuration > Scenarios >Configuration Wizard >Functional Units.
- Choose “System Landscape Directory” and click “Enable Automatically”. This will start a wizard. If this is enabled already, go to section 2 directly.
- Choose “Use the existing remote SLD option” if there is already an SLD system available otherwise choose “set up a new local SLD”. Provide SLD system’s details and username/password of SLD System as shown in the below picture and click next.
2. Create Destinations on AEX System:
- Navigate to SAP NetWeaver Administrator -> Configuration->Infrastructure ->Destinations.
- Create two Destinations with names SLD_Client and SLD_DataSupplier.
- Under Destinations tab, click on “create” button.
- Provide the destination name as “SLD_Client” and choose “HTTP” from the value help of destination type and click “next”.
- Provide details about the SLD system’s url, SID, Client number and language and click on “Next”.
- Choose “Basic” from Authentication’s value help and provide username/password for SLD system and click “Finish”.
- Destination for SLD_DATASUPPLIER has to be created in similar manner.
- After creating SLD_Client and SLD_DataSupplier, destinations tab should look like this.
3. Synchronize Metadata of AEX System to SLD of Solution Manager System:
- Navigate to Configurations-> Infrastructure -> SLD Data Supplier Configuration in SAP NetWeaver Administrator.
- Target URL in SLD Data Supplier should show the link configured in previous step. If the Target URL is correct, then click on “Send and Collect Data” button.
- This should show successful message at the top.
4. Check SLD System whether AEX System got registered:
- Login to SLD Administration (http://sldsystem:portnumber/sld).
- Go to Home->Technical Systems.
- Choose “Web AS Java” from the drop down menu of Technical System type and filter with AEX System’s SID. It should show an entry for this SID. Otherwise, it means that synchronization has failed. Check configurations done in previous steps and try again. If everything is okay, please proceed further.
5. Synchronize AEX System details from System Landscape Directory to Solution Manager System:
- To synchronize AEX system details from SLD to Solution Manager, a background job called “LANDSCAPE FETCH” should be started in Solution Manager.
- Login to Solution Manager System.
- Go to transaction “SMSY_SETUP”.
- Choose “System and Landscape Directory (SLD)” and click on “Schedule Data Transfer from TMS/SLD”.
- In the confirmation window, Click “Y”.
- In the next screen, click on “Immediate” button and Save it.
- Status message will be shown at the bottom of the screen.
Check the status of background job:
- To check the status of the background job, go to transaction “sm36”.
- Click on “Own jobs” button.
- Once the job is finished, status will be updated accordingly.
If “LANDSCAPE FETCH” job fails, then follow the below mentioned steps alternatively. Otherwise proceed to next chapter.
- Go to transaction “SE38”.
- Run “SMSY_FETCH_SYSTEM_UPDATE” report.
- Provide AEX system’s “SID” against System identifier and choose corresponding “System Type”.
- Click on “Read Data from SLD”.
- This will Show a success message as shown the picture below.
6. System Landscape Maintenance (SMSY) Administration
- Go to “SMSY” transaction.
- The SID of the AEX System should be visible under “Product Systems” -> “SAP NetWeaver”.
- Click on the “SID” on the left pane and check whether the usages types mentioned are same as the ones on the AEX System (go to http://aexhostname:portnumber ->Usage Type Information) and proceed to next chapter.
- In case you don’t find the SID under “SAP NetWeaver”, search for SID under Product Systems and proceed.
- Click on header data, In case that the product assignment is wrong, assign it to correct product assignment by clicking in Change Product Assignment and save it.
7. Create Logical Component:
- Go to transaction “SMSY”.
- Click on “System Groups and Logical Components”.
- Click on “Display<->Change” button and go to Logical Components-> SAP NETWEAVER -> Application Server JAVA.
- Right Click on “Application Server Java” and click on “Create New Logical Components”.
- Provide Logical Component, here “Z_SID” (choose any name). Provide other details accordingly and click “Continue”.
- Click on value help of “Demo”.
8. Download Stack file by creating a Maintenance Optimizer transaction request:
- Go to Solution Manager workcenter transaction (SOLMAN_WORKCENTER).
- Go to Change Management -> Maintenance Optimizer-> New to create a new Maintenance Optimizer transaction.
- This will open “New Maintenance Optimizer Request” in a browser. Choose the Product Version. It will list all the Product systems that are assigned to this particular Product Version.
- Choose SID of the AEX System which needs to be upgraded and click on continue.
- Choose “Calculate Files Automatically – Recommended” as the File selection Mode and click on continue.
- Select the update option as “Maintenance” and click on continue.
- Choose Target stack accordingly from the drop down menu and check “BPM” as “Additionally Installable Java Instances” and click on continue.
Note: You may choose to be on the same support pack as well.
- In “Confirm Target” phase, Check the details of the target and click Continue.
- In “Choose Add-on Products” phase, Additional Add-ons can be installed, choose the ones that needs to be installed and click on continue. If none of the Additional Add-ons needs to be installed just click on continue.
- In “Select OS/DB-Dependent Files” phase, click on the arrow against Operating system that the AEX System is on and check the following options and click on continue.
- All the files under “Database independent” option.
- All the files under the database on which AEX System is running. For example, check all the files under “ORACLE” in case database of AEX System is “ORACLE”.
- All the files under the Operating System node itself.
- In the next screen, it will list all the NON-ABAP SCAs that needed for update. Click on continue.
- In “Confirm Selection” phase, choose “Download basket” to add files to download basket and click on continue.
- In “Download Files” phase, click on “Stack files” tab and Download xml format of stack.xml by clicking on Download link against “Cross System Stack.xml”.
- Software Update Manager (SUM) tool will as well be added to the download basket.
Download the deployables using “Download Manager” tool. Download Manager can be downloaded from SAP Service Market Place. After download is complete, copy the stack file into the same folder.
The rest of the update has to be done using Software Update Manager (SUM) tool which is explained in the following link:
Happy Updating and enjoy Process Orchestration