SBO Mobile BI - things to know when upgrading to SAP BI 4.0
- SBO Mobile BI on iOS operating system
- SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 SP06 release
Overview of SBO Mobile in XI 3.1 and 4.0
Client (App) side
Check here for the complete details on how SBO Mobile is deployed manually in 3.1;
Configuring SBO Mobile
|SBO Mobile Version||Location of clientsettings.propertiesand mobi.properties files|
|XI 3.1 SP03, SP04, SP05, SP06||<WebApp root>\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\|
|BI 4.0, SP05 and below versions||<WebApp root>\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\|
|BI 4.0, SP06||<WebApp root>\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\config\default|
|SAP BusinessObjects XI 3.1||SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0|
Operating Systems: Windows
|Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, AIX and Solaris|
Web Application Servers: SAP NW, Tomcat, and WebSphere
|Web App Servers: JBoss, SAP NW, Tomcat, Weblogic and WebSphere|
Differences, enhancements, and new features between SBO Mobile in 3.1 and 4.0
- Other OLAP Data Source
- Dashboards **
- Design Studio
- Webi as PDF
- Support for Combined Chart
- Support for Horizontal Bar Chart
- Support for Bubble Chart
- Support for Waterfall chart
- Support for Hierarchy Charts
- Enhanced control over chart properties
- BI Inbox
Starting SAP BI 4.0 and up to the SP04 release, the Dasboard's support was flash-based. Starting in SP05, Dashboards are supported through HTML5 technology.
Sizing and performance
SBO Mobile's performance largely depends on the stability and performance of two important tiers / components in the architecture:
- Web Application Server where MobiServices .WAR files are deployed, which acts as the gateway between the SBO Mobile client and the SAP BI platform
- SAP BI platform services responsible for individual content types supported by SBO Mobile.
Follow the sizing guidelines provided in the SAP BI platform sizing guide and perform a detailed sizing estimation in order to determine the required amount of resources.
Once you migrate the contents (from BOE XI R2 or 3.1 to BI 4.0), all the SBO Mobile-supported contents will be ready for consumption from mobile devices through the SBO Mobile BI App. You must perform the required SBO Mobile configuration steps in the SAP BI 4.0 platform, then create a connection to the platform from the mobile devices for users to start consume the contents.
Challenges / know-how’s for upgrading 3.1 SBO Mobile to BI 4.0
Listed below are some of the known challenges to note while planning your upgrade to SAP BI 4.0. Carefully review and apply the steps:
- Back up SBO Mobile and Client settings property files from the following location;
- Refer to section 4.2.5 of this document for the steps to deploy SBO Mobile.
- To update property files, copy the backed-up SBO Mobile and client setting property file to the following location:
- We often hear from customers that the property file is lost during upgrade. Therefore make sure you backup and secure the property files first
- Also, copy the web-inf\config\custom\*.* to the following location: SAP <PATH>\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\warfiles\webapps\MobileBIService\WEB-INF\config. At the end this is used by wdeploy to build the war files and willnot get deleted after applying patches (the webapps folder just get deleted with an undeploy including your customizations).
- Follow the above steps in sequence. Some of these steps will be automated post-SP05.