Automated Initial Setup of ABAP-Based Systems
After you have installed a new SAP system with software provisioning manager 1.0, you have to perform an initial setup and configuration of the system to enable its usage. For example, you have to install an SAP license, create logon groups, and configure the Transport Management System and security settings.
Instead of performing these initial setup tasks manually, you can profit from an initial setup for SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.4 and higher automated with the ABAP task manager for lifecycle management automation.
- Automated initial setup in around five minutes – instead of up to 90 minutes of manual procedure
- After the installation, open the ABAP task manager in your newly installed system, select the task lists for initial setup and get guided through the whole configuration process
- Automate many tasks that have to be performed after the installation – such as consistency check, installation of SAP License, creation of logon groups and operation modes, configuration of transport management and security
- The corresponding configuration content gets delivered with SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.4 and higher
- The configuration content is customizable according to your needs - so, you can easily get an overview of comprised tasks and adapt the list of executed tasks
- The automation is offered via ABAP task manager:
- Automation framework that is easy-to-use for everybody familiar with SAP ABAP systems (similar to SE38)
- Is part of every ABAP system (as of certain release/SP level)
- Offers several ABAP automation tasks, such as ABAP initial setup and ABAP post-copy automation (ABAP post-copy automation is offered as part of SAP Landscape Virtualization Management)
- Includes sophisticated online documentation
- Faster system setup due to automation
- Less expertise required - get guided through the initial setup process by the tool
- Achieve a higher reliability, as you can make sure that several systems use the same initial setup, resulting in a standardized setup of the systems you provision
- All resulting in less effort and cost for you to provision a new SAP system
Interested in profiting from all these benefits? Try it in your newly installed SAP NetWeaver ABAP system with release 7.4 and higher by calling transaction code STC01!
When to run it?
- Generally, run the automated initial setup directly after the installation of each SAP NetWeaver ABAP system with release 7.4 and higher.
- Optionally, automated initial setup for SAP NetWeaver ABAP 7.4 and higher can be run more than once – already existing configuration is not overwritten.
- If you benefited from the simplified up-to-date installation procedure with Maintenance Planner and using the latest tools (that is, using Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP07 and higher, provided as of Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 SPS12), we recommed to run the automated initial setup after the up-to-date installation
- As of Software Logistics Toolset 1.0 SPS12, the installation procedure with Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP07 and higher also includes basic configuration activities, such as the initial basic configuration of transport management, which are a prerequisite for a combined maintenance process - in previous versions, this initial basic configuration could be performed with the automated initial setup, so the automated intial setup had to be performed before the update.
- With the latest tool versions listed above, you could execute the automated initial setup after the update - this way, you can benefit from the latest features and fixes in the initial setup configuration content, as provided by the performed update.
- Otherwise (if you have not benefited from the up-to-date installation using the latest tool versions), we recommend to proceed as follows:
- Run automated initial setup directly after the installation (with the automation content provided with the system load) - this also performs basic configuration activities that would be covered by the latest installation procedure (as outlined above)
- Apply the Support Packages (benefiting from the already performed initial configuration – for example, via the already configured Transport Management System)
- After that, consider to run the automated initial setup a second time, especially if you want to benefit from latest improvements and fixes offered by the updated automation content (provided via the applied Support Package)
- Configuration Guide - Automated Initial Setup of Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver ABAP (SMP logon required)
- Overview presentation
- SAP Note 1923064 - Initial Setup: System Configuration using ABAP Task Manager (and SAP Notes referenced from there)
Influence the future of ABAP initial setup procedures by collaborating on ideas for new features in SAP Idea Place, the public channel to participate in innovation at SAP. Initial setup belongs to the idea session Software Logistics, category Solution Implementation. Submit new ideas, vote for existing ideas and connect directly with the team at SAP that is in charge of procedures based on ABAP task manager!