"My Forrester Groundswell Awards Submission": Reputation - A Driver for Community Collaboration
The SAP Community Network (SCN) is both an online and face-to-face community of SAP professionals. In fact, it is the largest community of SAP professionals on the planet (with over 2 million members), and it's the official place where SAP customers, partners and employees go to help each other solve problems, develop expertise, and build reputations.
In 2010, SCN formalized a reputation program to increase positive engagement amongst existing members and expand individual memberships in general. The program, which continues today, provided members the opportunity to earn points for quality contribution, both online and at face-to-face events where community members come together to engage. Points accumulation resulted in badges at progressive levels (bronze, silver, gold and platinum), which helped members build their reputations.
But points and badges were only the beginning. In addition to establishing a full-time resource (@Laure Cetin) to oversee the reputation program, SAP cultivated a team of experts who understand how to build community from the ground up, engaging with individuals and groups to demonstrate the value of professional relationships, and the potential of all individuals within the community. We like to call it “inclusivity”.
Through elements of this program, members have made phenomenal achievements:
- Points for food, earning points to support SAP Corporate Social Responsibility to donate €150,000 to the World Food Program, who feed breakfast and lunch to malnourished children in 3rd world countries.
- Innojam, where developers come together at annual SAP TechEd events to collaborate and compete to develop applications that help solve world problems, like fuel conservation, human safety, and health care innovation.
- Annual inclusivity events where diverse individuals come together to demonstrate the valuable results when differing minds unite through design thinking.
- Member of the Month (MoM) recognition for those who dedicate their time and energy to help others be more knowledgeable and successful.
From a statistical perspective, community results have been impressive:
- Over 272,000 contributors
- 9200+ bloggers
- About 30,000 new members monthly
- Approximately 1.2 million unique visitors each month
And it doesn’t stop here. We are advancing our reputation program this year to include recognition for specific missions and tasks that support the community principle of “paying it forward”. By providing more granularity around types of activities and corresponding recognition, we expect to exponentially grow community participation to help reach targeted goals.
To stay abreast of the latest activities, or to find out more, follow @Laure Cetin, our reputation and gamification expert for SCN.