Web Intelligence Extension Points - Updated - July 24, 2009
NOTE: This applies only to version XI 3.1.
You are a partner (VAR, OEM), an application developer or even a power user who needs to deploy Web Intelligence to business users. Does your use of Web Intelligence require any of the following?
- look and feel branding for the Web Intelligence application
- more control over user workflows to reduce ad-hoc user errors or server overload
- workflow simplification for commonly used features
- integration of external content (e.g. web content mashups, external applications)
- interoperability between Web Intelligence and 3rd party workflows
By providing you with Extension Points for SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence Interactive Viewing (known as DHTML client), SAP BusinessObjects gives you more customization possibilities for the Web Intelligence family of interfaces. Extension Points already provided the means to customize, embed and configure at the same time the Web Intelligence Java clients, the online Java Report Panel, and the desktop Rich Client. Now these extension points also offer the same level of functional customization for the DHTML client. To work with SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence Interactive Viewing Extension and Integration Points, you need to have SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise server XI 3.1 SP2 installed on your machine.
There are two enhancements in extension points (July ‘09):
- SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence Interactive Viewing Extension and Integration Point. The package comes with a set of samples and documentations.
- New extension points that deepen customization capabilities for Reporting and Analysis workflows. So today, the new extension points release supports the entire chain of ad-hoc workflows: from Query to Analysis to Reporting.
- Extension points are also applicable now to the Web Intelligence Rich Client released with BusinessObjects XI 3.1 (see here). This means the same extension points written for the Web Intelligence Java Report Panel also can be used with the Web Intelligence Rich Client
The new extension points provide a customization API for the Java Report Panel client and Rich Client of Web Intelligence to allow developers to customize various functionalities to meet business needs.
Configure the Web Intelligence look and feel - The most basic and common type of customization can even be done by power users. It involves a simple-to-use, simple-to-understand properties file. Change the splash screen, add logos, remove buttons from the interface to streamline available features for users with different skills and needs.
- Display/hide query & report panels
- Display/hide toolbars: main, reporting, formatting, navigation
- Display/hide frames: data, report navigation map, available charts/tables, the UI for defining report properties
- Customize the branding: Colors, icons/logos
- Extend workflows via custom Java classes
Application developers and partners can customize interface event handling and workflows. There are a wide range of capabilities including object and function access, event "listeners" for drag and drop events, metadata extraction, display customization, etc. Developers now have programmatic control to enable a wide range of customization such as:
- Embed query, analysis or reporting workflows directly into another Java Swing application
- Intercept drag & drop events to display messages to guide end-users (e.g. "Based on the Objects you've added to your query, you might want to add X, Y filter...")
- Enable an object's List of Values to display a user's preferred list as a complement to the LOV selection
- Create report templates, even invoke the templates based on context of a user's query (e.g. automatically sectioned by Geo or Year)
- Enable end-users to save an individual table or chart in as CSV
- Define right click copy of a selected column then paste, correctly formatted, into a formula function or Prompt field
- Add a search function to the Report Panel that enables end-users to find additional documents related to their report's context
- Create the capability for users to Add Comments to a the context of a report
- Expose InfoView's Discussion Threads within the context of a report to enable end-users to have contextual discussions
- Pull out a table's values to run through a BusinessObjects Data Quality routine, enable identification of possible misspellings, redundancies, etc.
- Integrate your Web application into Web Intelligence by calling Java Report Panel functions directly.
- Manage objects in the query panel
- Add custom toolbars
Complete detailed documentation and samples can be downloaded here. Post questions and discover best practices in our Diamond Community Website.
For DHTML client customizations, check out the Web Intelligence SDK. A complete documentation of this fully supported public API is located at the following URL.
We hope you use this prototype to discover the many ways of customization that can change the way people consume information. Please give us feedback to make sure we know how you're using this and what else you would like to see it do in the future.
Please remember, this is a prototype only and NOT for use in production environments.