Getting Started with Manufacturing
Manufacturing companies all over the world create finished products from raw materials. Managing the necessary business processes is one of the main challenges for these enterprises. Some stages of the production process may be located in worldwide plants, others are executed externally. The manufacturer must stay in control of the entire production process in order to be able to deliver on time, within the budget, and with the desired quality.
Like chain links, production planning, manufacturing execution, and production analysis must perform hand in hand. An efficient integration of systems, data sources, and master data is crucial to manufacturing processes.
Production software needs to be flexible and configurable. SAP Manufacturing applications provide the required functionality to cover a broad range of business processes from top-floor to shop-floor:
- Material requirement planning, lean manufacturing, and kanban
- Repetitive manufacturing, discrete manufacturing, and process manufacturing
- Process coordination and documentation, digital signatures, and so on
In addition to the development of manufacturing roles for the enterprise portal, the creation of SAP xApp Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence (xMII) content for manufacturing enables SAP to get closer to the shop-floor production. Together with the new manufacturing services (enterprise service-oriented architecture), SAP provides flexible solutions for the next generation of manufacturing. With support for all manufacturing strategies for businesses in the discrete, process, and consumer products in.dustry, SAP Manufacturing helps enterprises manage the full range of manufacturing activities from planning to execution and analysis in one single end-to-end system.
SAP Manufacturing delivers all elements of a customer-oriented manufacturing management system and is fully compatible with just-in-time (JIT) and kanban methodologies. By combining information from a variety of business processes (including planning, cost accounting, human resources, materials management, warehouse management, plant maintenance, environment-health and safety, and quality management), SAP Manufacturing supports the development and execution of efficient production plans and ensures the availability of accurate, comprehensive information at any time.Businesses can share manufacturing information across the enterprise and supply network to coordinate production processes and promote cooperation.
In addition, data from plant process-control and data-collection systems can be incorporated as well, thus enhancing decision making by including accurate production data.SAP Manufacturing offers the following benefits for manufacturing execution:
- Improved manufacturing operations with better visibility and transparency: With the ability to gather real-time information to monitor and track production operations across all shop-floor processes, including availability checking and costing and more effective management of workflows to meet planned production targets
- Decreased costs: By controlling and adapting manufacturing processes in real time and improved efficiency of shop-floor resource utilization, task distribution, and reduced errors
- Increased customer satisfaction: By delivering higher-quality products
- Higher employee productivity and satisfaction: By taking advantage of role-specific portals to give workers easy access to the information
- Improved decision making: By providing rapid, accurate data access and real-time reports, giving managers the data they need to make informed decisions