Forums in SAP Enterprise Portal
The forums in SAP Enterprise Portal are designed with intuitive user interfaces that enable users to discuss common issues and topics, post questions and announcements to the community, watch forums (with notifications) and get updates on posted comments. Users can also create draft versions of postings, personalize their forum themes, or vote in polls.Forums include extensive and easy-to-use moderation features such as content control by approval processes, by deleting and moving content, and also by closing discussions. The web-based forums admin tool makes it easy to delete, edit and move messages, manage permission-levels and organize the hierarchy of categories and forums.
See this image of a forum thread list and a poll:
- Customers can get forums for free: there is no extra licence, forums are included in the SAP NetWeaver licence.
- Easy installation: Forums are part of the Portal Addon-On and can additionally be installed in a Portal landscape. There is no additional infrastructure needed; as runtime environment the J2EE engine und the database of the portal is used.
- Governance: access control to forum content by permission concept.
- Content control for the administrator by approval processes, user banning and profanity filters.
- Customer branding by theme adoption and UI changes.
- Internationalization: translation into 26 SAP NetWeaver languages.
- Accessibility standards are fulfilled.
- Easiness: forums are intuitiv to use.
Look at the material below to get a better understanding on the forum features within SAP Portal.
Forum Overview Presentation: in the overview presentation you find all general information on forums like benefits, supported scenarios, roadmap, features highlights, licensing and how to get forums, information channels.
Demos and eLearnings
- Narrated Presentation: This narrated presentation gives an overview on the end user and moderation features of the forum application in SAP NetWeaver 7.3. It also contains many demo scenarios.
- Demo on the Rating Feature (a new feature in SAP NetWeaver 7.3)
- Click-Through Offline Demo: This presentations shows feature highlights for end users and moderators.
- Demo on the Permission Concept (Demo 34:05): This demo explains in detail the permission concept in forums.
How-to Guides and FAQs:
- New: How to Customize the Forum Application Look and Feel in SAP NetWeaver Portal: this guide describes how a forum administrator can customize the look and feel of the forum application by editing the default theme that is part of the installation or by creating your own custom theme.
- How to Transport Forum Content between SAP NetWeaver Systems: In this guide, we will take you through the steps to transport forum content between SAP NetWeaver (Portal) systems. For example, when you plan to upgrade from SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to SAP NetWeaver 7.3 and you want to use the forum content from the old system in the new one.
- How You can Use the Wiki and Forum Application of SAP NetWeaver 7.3 in a SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Portal: this guide describes how to integrate the forum and wiki content from one SAP NetWeaver system to another SAP NetWeaver system in an older release. When the customers have for example the installation of SAP NetWeaver 7.0 including enhancement package 2, they have the possibility to use the features of the wiki and forum application, although they are only available in SAP NetWeaver 7.3.
- How to integration forums into collaboration rooms (SAP NetWeaver 2004)
This guide describes a workaround how to integrate forums into collaboration rooms based on SAP NetWeaver 2004.
- How to integration forums into collaboration rooms (SAP NetWeaver 7.0)
This guide describes a workaround how to integrate forums into collaboration rooms based on SAP NetWeaver 7.0.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Documentation and SAP Notes
Installation Note 1049553 (with installation guides included as PDFs)
Sizing Guide (Service Marketplace User required)