Wikis in SAP Enterprise Portal
Companies often meet the challenge that their employees cannot easily share and exchange their knowledge and experiences with their team members. The Line of Businesses today heavily depends on IT to create, manage and publish business content.
Wikis provide a framework to easily share and contribute knowledge and information in an intuitive way within the company. They give employees, customers, suppliers and partners a framework to collaborative writing and help to save time by making ideas available, sharing knowledge and managing related information. SAP provides a wiki application - that is based on a third-party vendor wiki application - as a standard component of SAP NetWeaver Portal with the new SAP NetWeaver release 7.3. Wikis are not included in SAP NetWeaver 7.0. By including wikis in the SAP NetWeaver Portal offering, SAP will enable customers to collaborate across the network in the context of business processes and events. With wikis, SAP customers will be able to create communities of practice that allow their employees and customers to create collaborative websites and to organize, identify, create, capture, acquire, share and leverage knowledge.
This image shows the wiki rich text editor and how you can edit a wiki page:
Some Key Advantages at a Glance
- Customers can get wikis for free: there is no extra licence, wikis are included in the SAP NetWeaver licence.
- Easy installation: Wikis are part of the Portal Addon-On and can additionally be installed in a Portal landscape. There is no additional infrastructure needed; as runtime environment the J2EE engine und the database of the portal is used.
- Governance: access control to wiki content by permission concept
- Flexibility: there are different concepts/scenarios for wiki use. There is not only one scenario. Wiki can be configured according the the customers‘ needs.
- Content control for the administrator: by approval processes, user banning and profanity filter.
- User control on collaboration: user can collaborate with anyone or only with selected users.
- Customer branding by theme adoption and UI changes.
- Internationalization: translation into 26 NetWeaver languages.
- Accessibility standards are fulfilled.
- Easiness: Wikis are easy to use.
Overview Presentation: Gives an overview on the wiki application: user, moderation and administration features.
Wiki Scenarios Presentation: Shows the capabilities of the wikis concerning end user, moderator and administrator requirements.
Demos and eLearnings
Demo on the End User Features of Wikis: You can see how to create a space hierarchy, define permissions, create and edit wiki pages, approve a wiki page, compare different versions of wiki pages.
Wikis Narrated Presentation: This narrated presentation gives an overview on the end user and moderation features of the wiki application in SAP NetWeaver 7.3. It also contains many demo scenarios.
Documentation and SAP Notes
SAP Note 1372623: Wiki Installation and Update (including Installation Guides as PDFs)
Sizing Guide (Service Marketplace User required)