Getting Started with SAP NetWeaver Java in Composition Environment 7.1
With SAP NetWeaver Application Server (SAP NetWeaver AS) in NetWeaver Composition Environment, you can develop Java EE applications based on the new Java EE 5 standard as well as migrate existing J2EE applications.
Features of NetWeaver CE (Java EE 5)
- Full support of the latest Java EE 5 features, updates, and adjustments for simplifying the development of enterprise applications. No longer any need for deployment descriptors. Simplified development with Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) 3.0, the new JSF 1.2, the new Java Persistency API 1.0, the updated web services stack, and more. See the full list of Java EE 5 standards supported by SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment
- Implementation of the Service Data Objects (SDO) 2.1 standard, which simplifies data programming for applications and frameworks
- Implementation of the JSR168 for development of standard-based portlets
- First-class Java-based Job scheduler implementation
Scalability, Robustness, and Supportability
- Built-in load balancing support, fast and robust shared memory based on request handling
- Modular runtime architecture, template-based set of running runtime services
- Configurable session failover support, including SAP's unique fast session failover based on shared memory
- Robust monitoring and unique supportability of non-functional problems based on SAP's own Java Virtual Machine (JVM) features
- Runtime overview of threads, sessions, caches, and other key resources
- Out-of-the-box connectivity to all SAP systems and the SAP business process platform
- SAP connectivity based on the latest open standard (JCA 1.5), SAP Java connector (JCO), which supports inbound and outbound communication between Java EE and the SAP backend
- Full Java EE 5 web services support: JAXR 1.0, JAX-WS 2.0, JAX-RPC 1.1, JAXB 2.0, SAAJ 1.3, StAX 1.0, WS for Java EE 1.2 and others
SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio
The SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio is SAP's Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Java and is based on the open-source tools framework of Eclipse 3.2. With SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio you can create, build, and deploy Java EE 5-compliant applications that utilize new technologies such as EJB 3.0, JavaServer Faces 1.2, and so on. Using the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio, you have the following features:
- Built-in Java EE 5 design-time support based on WTP 1.5
- JPA design time support, based on the open source Dali project
- Web services support
- On-the-fly application debugging
- Hot deployment
SAP Microsoft Management Console
Using the SAP Microsoft Management Console (SAP MMC), you can perform administrative tasks such as starting or stopping the application server together with the database instance, monitoring the status of processes, restarting processes and switching to debug mode.
SAP Management Console
Same as above, but written in Java, therefore available on non Windows platforms - and on Windows of course.
With the configuration tool, you can configure the application server offline to adapt it to the requirements of a particular business scenario.
Telnet-based administration console for runtime server administration.
In previews MaxDB is used as the database system for the SAP NetWeaver AS Composition Environment. An instance of MaxDB is installed automatically. The product is available for many other databases such as Oracle, Microsoft SQL, and DB2
Samples and Tutorials
NetWeaver Composition Environment is delivered with a set of samples and tutorials, that are installed together with the NetWeaver Developer Studio, available from SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment Downloads
- Developing Your First Java EE 5 Application
Working on this tutorial you will develop the Converter application, a simple Java EE 5 application comprising a stateless session bean and a JSP. With the help of the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio tools for Java EE 5 development, as well as its seamless integration with the underlying application server, you can develop and run the Converter application in 10 minutes.
- Project Management and Employee Services Application
Focused on developing the persistence and business logic layers of a real-life, Java EE 5 applications using the development tools provided in the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio.
- Developing Message-Driven Bean Application
Describes development of MDB components and how to set up the appropriate JMS resources within the SAP's JMS provider.
- Developing an Application Client
Step-by-step instructions on developing, assembling, deploying and running a Java EE 5 application client using the SAP NetWeaver Developer Studio.
Samples are small applications that you can install and deploy. They are nice to study code and check out functionalities as more experienced users.
The following sample applications are available:
- Demo Model Application
Sample application corresponding to the "First Java EE 5 Application" Tutorial
- Project Management and Employee Services
A simplified use case for employees and project manamgement services
- Master Detail
- Value Help