cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spool Question....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was reading a note <b>108799</b> and got little confused. I was in impression that when I use FrontEnd printing or LOCL, it pickes up my windows default printers and use DIA WP to print the request. It does not use Spool WP. Below is the extract from this note -

<b>In the note As of Release 4.6A, frontend print requests are no longer processed by the spool service via dialog work processes. As a result an additional spool service load arises. By default the number of spool work processes useful for the frontend print is limited to 1.</b>

Second extract from the same note is -

<b>As of Release 4.6A, a spool work process also conducts the deletion of obsolete spool requests (as an option, you can configure this in Transaction SPAD via spool-settings). Where do you set this option in SPAD for deletion. We normally use RSPO1041 job to clea spool requiests.</b>

Can anybody please explain.

I will be very greatfull to you.

Thank you in advance to everybody.

SC

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much.

Those links were helpful.

Sometimes I just cannot find what I want from help.sap.com. This one was one of them.

Thank you again.

SC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, do study notes 118057 and 19706 and consider implementing the logical spool server concept.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sume,

As far as I know part one means that when you do frontend printing you don't use a Dialog AND a Spool process anymore, only one Spool process.

While you are doing frontend printing this spool process is actually being held by the person doing the Frontend printing. This is also why it is advised to rather use configured printer (normally with host spool method C or U)as this does not lock the work process for as long.

Part two only has to do with the standard deletion job for the old spool record and nothing with the method the printing was done. Before version 4.6 it was deleted by a job using a Dialog process. Now the deletion can actually be processed by a Spool process. Where to change the setting I unfortunately dont know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sume!

I think you get confussed in the definitions of the "spool".

The first extract refers to the mechanism that SAP uses to output the spool request, i mean, the steps that SAP follows to send the spool request to the printer. Thats why it mentions the front end printing and the work process type used for this purpose.

The second extracts talks about the spool reques itself, in other words, the request that is generated when you push the "printer button" (it doesn´t matter what type of print architecture you use) in a SAP screen.

You have to take into account that these are two different concepts, maybe the following link could help you.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/d0/5dea3bab5d264be10000000a114084/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d9/4a8efb51ea11d189570000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

The first one is related to the print architecture and the second is related to the control of spool requests

Hope this can help you!

Best Regards

Javier Jimenez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sume!

I think you get confussed in the definitions of the "spool".

The first extract refers to the mechanism that SAP uses to output the spool request, i mean, the steps that SAP follows to send the spool request to the printer. Thats why it mentions the front end printing and the work process type used for this purpose.

The second extracts talks about the spool reques itself, in other words, the request that is generated when you push the "printer button" (it doesn´t matter what type of print architecture you use) in a SAP screen.

You have to take into account that these are two different concepts, maybe the following link could help you.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_47x200/helpdata/en/d0/5dea3bab5d264be10000000a114084/content.htm

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d9/4a8efb51ea11d189570000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

The first one is related to the print architecture and the second is related to the control of spool requests

Hope this can help you!

Best Regards

Javier Jimenez