cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Oracle 8i with JDBC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am facing a problem while doing a connection to my DB which is ORACLE 8i with JDBC communication channels thorugh xi.

I am getting an error "Error during database connection to the database URL 'jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:ORCL' using the JDBC driver 'oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver': 'com.sap.aii.adapter.jdbc.sql.DriverManagerException: Cannot establish connection to URL 'jdbc:oracle:thin:@hostname:ORCL': SAPClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"

In one of the SAP notes:867176 its mentioned .....

"

3. Which JDBC driver version is certified to connect to which database version?

From the Oracle side:

The Oracle 10g JDBC drivers are certified to work with currently-supported versions of the database.

JDBC 8i/9i Thin drivers are certified to work with supported (previous) versions of the database.

Existing and supported JDBC drivers are certified to work with Oracle Database 10g.

From the SAP side:

SAP only supports homogeneus setups. The oracle driver major version must match the database major version, and the driver version must not be smaller than the database version.

SAP does not support Oracle 8i drivers.

"

Is it not possible to connect to my DB? Is SAP supports the connection to 8i oracle database? any idea,,,

Regards,

Sunil.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunil,

I have configured XI scenarios connecting Oracle 8i in my previous implementation. But I am not sure, what were the JDBC drivers the BASIS team has installed.

Generally, the Class not found exception means you have not deployed the JDBC drivers or you have incorrectly deployed.

Try repeating the procedure again. Make sure you do not miss any step.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

Thanks for your valuable input .....If you have already implemeted a 8i oracle integration with XI, it should work for me too...:)

I will check with the basis person and ........get back

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Following is the connection string that we are currently using for connecting to Oracle 8i.

This setting has been working for us. give it a try.

connection string : jdbc:oracle:oci8:userid/password@server

Note that this connection string is only if you use the Oracle OCI driver. The OCI driver requires a shared library or DLL on the server.

The thin driver for Oracle is more commonly used as it doesn't require any additional libraries. The connection string is as already listed above:

jdbc.oracle.thin:@server:port:SID

There is no need to put the user and password into the connection string in the adapter config, putting it into the user and password fields works just fine.

Regards,

Suryanarayana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Surya,

Have you ever tried with the thin drivers?

An if in case XI supports only OCI drivers for connecting with 8i oracle DB.What are the steps i need to follow ?

Can you guide us in the installation?