cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Database is in dedicated or shared

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus

I have a doubt. Our SAP Database is working on dedicated or shared mode. when i was passing thro some oracle documents i have read as per tnsnames.ora file we could come to know whether the dedicated or shared mode. I have checked our SAP systems in one of the SAP system which has seperate database server and two other separate application servers which does not show the connect_data as dedicated but as (SID=%sid%) but in another SAP suystem where it is stanalone system which shows dedicated mode in connect_data parameter in tnsnames.ora file.

i want to know the basic mode our SAP works in dedicated mode or shared mode. if it is dedicated mode in what all circumstances it will be decided or if it shared mode then what are all the conditions are set for shared

Pls help

regards

bala

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

A little addition to the information already provided.

> i want to know the basic mode our SAP works in dedicated mode or shared mode. if it is dedicated mode in what all circumstances it will be decided or if it shared mode then what are all the conditions are set for shared

By default all SAP-Oracle installations run in dedicate mode. It does not make much sense to run them in shared mode as it woul be to duplicate the "effort" that SAP already does with the workprocesses and dispatcher.

Better do not change it, unless there is very good reason (and I only have knowledge of one case)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Bala,

> i want to know the basic mode our SAP works in dedicated mode or shared mode.

Just query the view V$SESSION (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_2088.htm#i1414383)

> SQL> SELECT SID, SERVER FROM V$SESSION;

Here is a really nice explanation about dedicated and shared connections:

/message/2114775#2114775 [original link is broken]

Please read this, because i think you don't understand the concept about dedicated/shared .. it is just a "connect option" not really a mode in that the oracle server is running.

Regards

Stefan