cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for suggestions on how to document customizing (IMG)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

since I ran into this topic again and again, I decided to start a new thread for this topic (hopefully I haven't missed an existing thread in these forums). I think many SAP projects have a common requirement: documentation of every change made to the standard customizing within the IMG (transaction spro).

I have seen different approaches to this issue: manual documentation in a MS Word or Excel file, automatich SAP customizing table change logs, SAP projects (via menu "jump" from transaction spro) or similar. So far, none of these have convinced me.

So a question to all of you experts, developers and consultants: how do you document your changes to the IMG?

I think a good solution would be a tool that provides an GUI with a customizable tree view (like the MS file explorer or the IMG itself). There I could create the tree nodes and leafs according to the IMG structure. Then, in this tool, I can create notes or whatever for every leaf to actually write the documentation for the selected leaf. Any suggestion?

Kind regards, Matthias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What, you don't use solution manager?

Actually, on a serious note that is one of the things it is designed to do. However not many customers make full use of that, partly because it is too big and complex for some of the smaller implementations, and partly because people find word documents easier to use.

The one issue I have with your suggestion is that the IMG only represents some of the customising. Other customising is done by either specific transactions, maintaining tables in SM30, or adjusting parameters for custom developed applications. So for me it's documented along with whatever application I am working on.

Just my 2p.

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

I agree that the documentation of the IMG is not enough, other process-dependend tables, views and so on (as you mentioned it) have to be documented as well. I would say that this as well as process-depended customizing in IMG should be documented in the according process documents.

But, as I have seen with some projects and customers now, sometimes a single document is needed, describing all the changes made to the standard IMG. You never had this request? I do. But I do not like to write all IMG paths and the according changes to a Word or Excel document ...

Kind regards, Matthias