cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

640 SID With BW Layer - Multiple Clients?

Former Member
0 Kudos

My company installed SRM (SRM_SERVER 500 SP #7) with the BW layer (BW 350 SP # 14) does it make sense to have a multiple client strategy in the non-productive SRM SIDs? Does anyone have any SAP white papers on client strategy on the new dimension products (BW, CRM, SCM/APO, EP, etc.)? Since I am not a BW developer I am uncertain as to why in BW it only makes sense to have 1 client which I would guess if a new dimension SID has the BW layer active then it would make sense to only have 1 client as well? Any information would be most appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

I'm not in the BW department but as to my knowledge there is no paper on how to proceed with clients in ND products. The BW single client thing is because of design issues inside BW. Currently in BW you can have only one client. I heard that they are working on it to be able to handle multiple clients. Never the less as BW is now part of the NetWeaver basis you can of course on the same instance use lets say client 100 as BW client and any other client as whatever you else want to do with it. Just keep in mind you will receive errors when trying to access for instance RSA1 in the wrong client.

regards Ingo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ken,

SAP NetWeaver BI cannot use multiple client because the objects it creates and uses are client independent. In fact only SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (usage type AS ABAP) based system offer the potential of a multi- client solution. AS JAVA based applications do hot have a client concept, they tend to have multiple instances (i.e. one per client).

I'm having a little difficulty understanding one part of your question ".. would guess if a new dimension SID has the BW layer active then it would make sense to only have 1 client as well?...". Can you elaborate on the question?

Are you asking, if the SAP NetWeaver capability one has one client, does it make sense to have only one client in the ABAP based application too?

Cheers,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your responses Ingo and Mike. Mike to answer your question.... In the 640 releases, the ECC 5.0 and SRM 5.0 products are installed with a SAP_BW 3.50 layer that you need to support patch. In my companies SRM system we are planning on utilizing the BW component so I am saying that it probably doesn't make sense to have multiple clients in SRM but would like to know why which is explained with RSA1 objects being client independent and any maintenance of RSA1 in a different client an error is received. Since SRM and ECC have the BW layer I am saying that if my company decides to utilize the BW component in ECC in addition to SRM then it probably would not make sense to mulitiple clients in ECC as well. I would appreicate an SAP note or documentation on this matter. OSS note # 522569 looks good however it does not address the ECC 5.0 and SRM 5.0 with the SAP_BW 3.50 layer. Thanks.