cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help On Search Help !!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have 2 search helps designed for xxxxCategory and xxxxSubCategory which uses two Z-table as selection method resp.

Based on the xxxxCategory selected,I want to restrict the value of second search help which gives me xxxxSubCategory viz all xxxxSubCategory should be listed that belongs to teh selected xxxxCategory

Note:These Search help are attached to the structure field been referenced by the context node.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheetal,

If you want to change the search help values at runtime, you can use OVS.

You can refer my blog for implementing OVS in WDA.

[OVS Help in WDA|]

Thanks

Shruti

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have to use OVS for this type of requirement.

Because, you program for OVS within your view. so here you can access the category value to show help for subcategory

Abhi

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> You have to use OVS for this type of requirement.

> Because, you program for OVS within your view. so here you can access the category value to show help for subcategory

>

> Abhi

This is actually incorrect. Although you can use OVS for this, you can also use Data Dictionary search helps and acomplish the same thing without doing any coding.

The main point is that your DDic Search Helps must have exporting and importing parameters. The search helps must be used within the same structure and have their parameters mapped. The attributes that trigger the search help must be in the same context node and be defined via this structure:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/47/9f724642314aabe10000000a42189b/frameset.htm

Be aware that import and export parameters for the search help are determined only within the same context node (see also Transport of Values for the Input Help), and even then only if a Dictionary structure is assigned to the node.

Here are some screen shots to demonstrate. I have two search helps. The first lets you choose a table. The second one lets you choose a field within the table - so obviously linking them is pretty important.

In the Table SH, the table_code is the exporting parameter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2734617675/

In the Field SH it is an importing parameter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2735450836/

Here is the structure that combines them alltogether.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2734617703/

I've also done Search Help Field Assignments.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjung/2735450898/

Now if I use ZMDM252_RSMD_RS_S_MDM as the source structure of my node, the WD runtime will do the rest of the work for me automatically.

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas, it works.

Most of the time we work with the standard search helps and structures, so it becomes easy when we use OVS help to manipulate data with in the view controller.

dont know most of the people doesn't want to create any extra dictionary objects.

which is the best way you suggest?

Abhi

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Personally I much favor DDic Search Helps over OVS. OVS too often is logic that is locked into that one component. If you create DDic objects (structures and search helps), they are much easier to reuse over time. I'm not sure why there should be any aprehension to creating new DDic objects. That is one of the strenghts of ABAP - not just how easy it is to create them, but how everything is globally reusable. You also see in this example how you are able to avoid coding to make the relationship - this supports the idea of modeling over coding where possible. Also I feel like separting out the search logic into a separate object is good design - kind of like the general concept of MVC. The same reason you don't put SQL in your WD - but in a model or assistance class; do you really want lots of search help logic coded into your WD as you end up doing with OVS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for your prompt response.

My problem got solved using the search help itself.

I have used the following strategy :

As xxxxCategory and xxxxSubCategory are in my table in a view.

1.I created a temp column in my table.(to be invisible-juz for processing)

2.On lead selection whatever value gets seelcted in xxxxCategory , i store it in temp .

3.Then i pass this (temp) value to importing parameter of my search help made for xxxxSubCategory.

For, xxxxCategory in my structure i have attached 1 check table alongwith an explicit search help.

For, xxxxsubCategory i have attached an explicit search help.

And for temp column explicit search help attached is same as of one attached with xxxxsubCategory.

abhimanyu_lagishetti7
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Exactly Thomas,

they are much easier to reuse over time also global,

avoids lot of coding and truely modeled following MVC

great.