cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot renew NSP Sneak Preview Due to System Number Comparison

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have two systems running NSP sneak previews. It's time to renew licenses on both. I submitted one request and got an encrypted key file (nsp.txt). However, it failed to install due to a difference in the system number included in the key file, and what it says it found in the license key file (is that a file on my PC, or at SAP someplace?) At any rate, I sent in a request for my other PC and the same thing occurred - wrong system number. I then sent in requests for unencrypted keys, and got a response that has yet another system number for the hardware key I submitted. Each request I send in results in a key file with a different system number -- what's up with that?

I note that the renewal request form used to have a field for inclusion of system number, and it's not there now - am I perhaps going to the incorrect site to request a renewal? I'm using:

http://service.sap.com/sap/bc/bsp/spn/minisap/minisap.htm

Thanks for the community's help on this ... The clock is ticking.

Edited by: David Jenkins on Aug 4, 2008 7:51 PM

I tried installing the license from the command line, after deleting the old license using SLICENSE. (In hindsight, that may have been a sever tactical error.) After I entered all the information I got form an SAP response for an unencrypted key, the system whirred and ground for a minute or two, and then the command window went away, with no error shown. But when I attempted to logon to SAP, I got an "Error in license check" message. I've tried going through this procedureboth specifying a system number, and leaving that field blank - no joy in either case.

I would try logging in as SAP* and then attempting to install an encrypted key using SLICENSE, but I have no record of that user id or its password. Is there a default password for SAP* in the sneak preview?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. In site you download correct license ? Try to check 2 NSP systems are present up to SP8 and > SP8... If you try install from SLICENSE try upload new license "from file". About SAP* in minisap the default password for him are "minisap" , check are login/no_automatic_user_sapstar are set to 0 before.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo:

Thanks for tips. The only way I know to get an NSP encrypted key file is to ask for the SP9 + version - is there a way to get the file for previous NSP versions? That is, I must have an encrypted file in order to isntall from a file -- isn't that correct?

Sadly, I've already tried SAP* so amy times, that it now refuses all attempts based on my exceeding the max number of unsuccessful tries.

I will get another NSP.TXT file and try to install it from the command line. I thought I tried that, but I'll try once again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sergo:

I tried to install from a file, and it brought up a second command window which was visible briefly, and which then closed without displaying any information. I was still unable to login to SAP due to "Error in license check."

I shtere any logged info about the licesne install anybplace which can be displayed? I tried doing a SAPLICENSE -SHOW, but that was unsuccessful - SAPLICENSE complained about "Cannot set DbSL trace function" -- I have no idea at all what to do about that ...

Any ideas as what to do?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAPLICENSE works with old type licenses. You can't install new licenses from SAPLICENSE. In any case you need to login under SAP* and use the SLICENSE transaction.

P.S. about "Cannot set DbSL trace function" are you patch the "saplicense" manually? Looks like your SAPLICENSE release are not from your kernel files (upgraded manually).

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean SAPLICENSE the SAP transaction? Or the commmand line SAPLICENSE?

Also, I can't execute SAP* because I've exceeed a try count someplace. I there a paramter file someplace I can edit where I can raise the retry limit? Or am I doomed?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ooops - forgot: SAP xaction is SLICENSE, not SAPLICENSE. Dang. Red face.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello David. User SAP* is hard-coded user --> it means when you delete the user master record about this user (for example in database level) in required CLIENT and the login/no_automatic_user_sapstar are set to 0, after restart you can able login in system with user SAP* and password PASS (but how about minisap system .....

may be password are minisap in this case, check both).

Read this for example.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sergo:

I finally got my license installed. I had to change the system number in the encrypted key file I received from SAP so that it matched the system number as shown in SLICENSE.

I had made so many attempts to login with SAP* that the userid was blocked because of excessive attempts. Since I had deleted the old license, I had no way to login unitl midnight rolled around and I could then use SAP* again with its default sneak preview password of "minisap"

That does bring up another question, which I'll state here, but perhaps to move to another thread. Since I couldn't get in to SAP*, I attempted to raise the maximum attempt count parameter in the profile file, but that didn't seem to work. Here is the line I inserted in the NSP and START profile files I found:

login/fails_to_user_lock = 99

After a restart, shouldn't that have allowed me to logiin using SAP*?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello. Are this question answered ? Read my last post. Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As far as being able to renew the license, my original question has been answered.

as I said in my previous post, I still have a question about how to change the retry limit for unsuccessful login attempts. I changed a couple of profile files that I found, but those changes didn't seem to make any difference. Just wondering if anybody could provide that info for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

About parameters read -->

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/EN/22/41c43ac23cef2fe10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Yes you are correct you need to set

login/fails_to_user_lock for example to 99. And after restar users will be have 99 unsuccessful logon attempts. But it user are locked already, you need to unlock it manually first (from SU01) or database level. Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sergo.

I did do a restart, but was still unable to get in. I was hoping that raising the number would delete the lock, but it didn't. I couldn't use SU01, etc., since the license had been deleted, and I couldn't log on as anybody

Luckily, the count reset at midnight, and I was able to get in as SAP*/minisap and install the new license.

All is now well - thanks for your help.

Answers (0)