cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gurus,

I have been raised this question in at least last three interviews, but i sense that i am not able to convince them on it, here is the question.

Q: what exactly do you do when you get an error message.

A: I try to recognized by my previous experience, or understand the dialog box, or try to analyze, or i do research in my books, i have a lot of sd books, but guess they don't seem to convince for that, what exactly could be a good convincing answer that should be given.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dilip

The error message may be of different types. It may be for

- authorization of a particular T.Code not available to the user

- pricing related errors

- mandatory fields in the documents not filled in

- partner functions not maintained

Depending upon the errors, we need to address accordingly.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

i understand what you guys are saying, but how about giving them the answer as to how about you go and find a solution to fix it, where would you start to analyze i guess or how would you know the solution to fix it, as in real world we go on the internet, but is the right answer for the interview?

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear dilip

Based on the error message itself what system is throwing, you should be in a position to find the root cause of the error. Of course, there are some exeptions which we wont be able to detect with the error message and it is only a rare occasion.

For example, from the errors I listed above, if you take the second one, let us assume you have some 3 or 4 condition types to flow in sale order apart from PR00. By mistake, if any of these condition type is not maintained in VK11, then you will get an error message "Condition ZXXX is not maintained". So you have to come out of the error, go to VK11, maintain the condition type and again create a sale order.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dilip,

Given an error, this is the general approach I would take:

1) Understand the underlying process-- what behavior is expected of the system as part of the business? What is happening now? --Root cause analysis.

2) Then drill down to the sub process/area where the error is occuring?categorize it if it was not recognized till now? or, one off errors? drilling down to the problem area.

3) In case, the error has been there from long, would try to fix it from a long term perspective--it might require configuration change/ abap development/ basis help/ database related/ archiving/ missing information/ no authorization etc...

4) Else, if its an one time error, will drill down further to analyse it and find the cause--this might again mean that this particular sub process is one off case and requires a solution or at that particular time when the process ( program) was being executed, there was some other resource accessing this and hence the error, or a temporary problem.

I guess, this is what was expected from you from a Consultant perspective--my opinion.

Rgds,

RagS.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the first think you need to do if an error comes from an enduser is

1.check whether the user has proper authorisations

2.check whether he has filled all entries

3. at a higher level run the program in debugger mode and check where exactly the error is coming

from

regards,

anand