Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64-bit OS with 32-bit libs?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

• I have the following for the system "uname -a"

Linux santa 2.6.22.5-31-default #1 SMP 2007/09/21 22:29:00 UTC x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• I have the following for "java -version"

gij (GNU libgc) version 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)

The problem is that I need to install some software that is 64-bit (or based on 64-bit). For the dependencies of the software, they require:

-> glibc >= 2.2.5 <= has files that are 32-bits

-> libstdc++.so.5 <= has files that are 32-bits

I am trying to install Solution Manager 7.0 on a Linux platform (which is x86_64). I read that "ON normal 32-bit (i386) and Itanium 2 (ia64) platforms the Sun 1.4.2 JDK is needed on x86_64 (namely ... EM64T ...) the IBM JDK is needed!"

So, I downloaded the IBM JDK 1.4.2 according to note 1090932 "IBM Download site for special JDK builds".

So, again, when trying to install through YAST (for Suse Linux), I get some thing like:

IBMjava2-AMD64-142-SDK cannot be installed due to missing dependencies

When I did "rpm -qa | grep glibc", I got a list of files but one of them was: "glibc-32bit-2.6.1-18"

When I did "rpm -qa | grep libstdc", I got a list of files but one of them was: "libstdc++42-32-bit-4.2.1_20070724-17"

But, it seems as though, some compiling is going to take place for the software (or else these dependencies would not be listed).

I don't feel comfortable compiling a 64-bit program with references to 32-bit libraries.

Is this OK? Do I need to get 64-bit versions of "glibc" and libstdc++.so.5??

I found some references for 64-bit glibc here:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3700610/com/glibc-2.5-25.x86_64.rpm.html

But then, I have to wonder what other dependencies exist out there for "glibc 64-bit" and "libstdc++.so.5 64-bit"

Any help, hints or advice is greatly appreciated

TIA

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Casey,

on x86_64 you may run 32-bit software. Therefore you need the 32-bit libraries installed. This is not a defect, it was done by intention. When trying to install the IBM JDK, just use the command line tool "rpm" to install it. It will say, which libraries (and of course, which architecture) you need.

So simply type:

#> rpm -Uvh IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-10.0.x86_64.rpm

It will print you the exact list of what is missing on your system. Install the packages that are missing and retry. It will work then.

Regarding your distribution, please be aware that OpenSUSE is not an SAP certified operating system. Only the enterprise products from Novell and Red Hat are certified. More information can you find on the [SAP on Linux SDN Page|] under Supported Platforms. You may install and operate your SAP Solution Manager successfully on OpenSUSE but if there is a bug or defect on OpenSUSE you may not get a guaranteed solution (which you would, in case if an enterprise product with a valid support contract).

Best Regards

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Hannes,

Thanks for the info. I understand now what it takes to go ahead and install the IBM JDK. The attachment (I believe) should help with Oracle (even though the instructions are for 11.x while the Oracle distributed by SAP with Solution Manager and ECC 6.0 is 10.x).

I was using the Opensuse 10.3 and not the SLES 10 because it (SLES 10) would not install properly on my macine HP Pavilion a6500f. It did not have the device drivers that recognized my CD and the kernel used for SLES 10 seemed to be older than the one for Opensuse 10.3. The Opensuse kernel had a device driver for my CD.

Best regards,

Casey

hannes_kuehnemund
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Casey,

uhhh, HP Pavilion a6500f ... of course you may already heart it, but this hardware is not certified for SAP. You may use it, but in case of hardware problems you may not get the same support as if it would be a certified server for SAP on Linux.

If you still have problems, please post the output of the install command:

#> rpm -Uvh IBMJava2-AMD64-142-SDK-1.4.2-10.0.x86_64.rpm

Thanks,

Hannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is old but I just wanted to let you know that I was successful with the installation and have gone on to repeat it in other areas as well. For test systems, this is good enough

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I also found this installation instructions of Oracle 11.1 on SLES10 and OpenSuse 10.3.

http://ivan.kartik.sk/oracle/install_ora11gR1_suse.html

They seem to use the 2 interchangably ...

Also, since it would seem that I installed Opensuse 10.3 64-bit, then all of the libraries there are also 64-bit (even though the name of the file does not have 64-bit)

But

The .rpms have .x86_64.rpm as attachments ...