cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport changes from an MDM to another

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

I am pretty new in MDM. How can I update configuration changes from a Dev system into Production? Are there any way to transport them?.

Thank you in advance

Gonzalo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

MDM as of now does not have the transport system like SAP standard transport mechanism. But in general there are 2 ways to that.

1. Using archive and Unarchive the repositories.

2. Using the Master and Slave concepts.

To know more about the above two topics, you can refer to the MDM 5.5 Console guide in service market place.

And also look for the best practices from SAP with respect MDM 5.5 to use the appropriate otion from the above two.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is not what we are really looking for.

Imagine we have two machines, one for testing purposes and other which contains productive data. In the first one we have made some changes in the table structure for example adding a new table, and we would like to replecate this change to the production system but maintaining the data it has.

Do we have to replacate the changes manually? Or is there any "automatic" way of doing it?

Thanks and regards

Gonzalo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you archive the repository, you will have options to archive only the schema or

entire repository(Structure and Data). By default the option is selected as "Normal", means

it archives the structure and the data.

If at all both the systems you mentioned are always in sync with respect to the data. You can use the archive and unarvhive the repositories from one system to the other system.

Suppose if they are not in sync with respect to the data, u can have the latest archived repository from production and unarchive it in your testing system and modify the structure depends on your needs and archive the repository in the test system and unarchive it in Production system.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Another scenario to answer your question:

Lest say:

1. The repository in Production system is read only (In some cases it is necessary depends on the project).

2. You have the test repository also in the production system.

Based on the above 2 assumptions:

You can treat the test repository in the production system as the Master repository.

1. Right click on the test repository select "Create Slave". This will create a Slave repository, whcih is the read-only repository.

2. When there are any changes made to (it can be structure or data) the test repository in production, you can select the Slave repository and right click and select "Synchronize Slave" . Then the Slave repository will be loaded with the updated structure and data from the Master repository.

For automating this kind of tasks, I guess you can use the MDM CLIX commands.

To the best of my knowledge, I could only think of these scenarios I mentioned in the replies.

Thanks

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues:

I've already managed to install a master repository on one server and slave in another server, and to synchronize the slave repository sucessfully.

However, It will always syncrhonize both data and structure.

Supose we are using server 1 for testing and server 2 for production, so the right data is on the slave repository on server 2.

Now we want to perform some changes to the structure, but we want to test this changes before applying them to slave repository on server 2.

Once the changes have been tested OK on master repository on server 2, how can we synchoronize structure to so slave repository but keeping the data?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you Synchronize slave, it does synchronize the changes, which includes data and structure. As of now I haven't seen an option where you can choose only the structure synchronization.

Thanks and regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Exactly, so how can we take advantage of this MASTER / SLAVE functionality?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I mean, in comparsion to a simple ARCHIEVE / UNARCHIEVE technique?