cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic AS ABAP and AS JAVA Install

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello people. My company wants to install a basic system with AS ABAP and AS JAVA on it for development purposes. It is to be used by staff for practicing ABAP programming.

I have done the installation and know there are basic steps to be done eg. Kernel Upgrade then STMS, ABAP Upgrade, Patching the J2EE engine using JSPM. Though a little more documentation would be helpful on these.

But what else would i need to do to this Basic Netweaver Stack Install for it to be usable?

Please do help. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Would like to have a step by step guide here, cause the guides on the net are to vast to sift through.

Thanking you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

yes after an installation SGEN is a good idea. Otherwise the users

will have to wait a long time until the sources are generated (when

someone calls an transaction which has not been called before and

therefore the abap sources are not generated, it will take some time).

In the same fashion : sometimes after an kernel upgrade SGEN should

be executed. And when you install ABAP support packages, because

this is changing the abap sources, too. Here you can however ran a sgen

delta. Hope this helps.

Kr,

andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

yes, after an installation SGEN is a good idea. Otherwise the users

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

If you want your staff for ABAP programming then you do not need to install java but you still can install it.

Get the software from IDES ECC 6.0 from SAP or from the service market place.Install from the instalation master.

1) Install ABAP system central instance

2) Install Database instance

3) Install Java Add-in for Abap.

configure your STMS adding vertual systems.

This will be enough for ABAP practice.

Regards

Ashok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay thanks for that part of things. It seems pretty straight forward then from there. But another thing, would i need to perform sgen?

They always say that before the system can be fully used (or for at least these aspects), I have to perform sgen on the system?

Please clarify this and going about configuring a Basic ABAP+JAVA Netweaver system.

Thank you for all this so far.

Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

its recommended to perform a sgen before an upgrade, but you could do it or not.

About the basic configuration, you could use the sap installation guide, its the best guide to configure your system.

http://service.sap.com/installations

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh 1 more thing to add, I was asked to select the NWDI feature for this basic install. What is the purpose of this and what else would be required if any for this feature to work?

We use Windows 2003 server with MaxDB.

Again thank you to any one with help.

Bye.

Edited by: John Wayne on Aug 1, 2008 6:06 AM