cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NW integration with Mainframes/cobol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can any one explain me about mainframes integration with SAP NW?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

functionally, they have nothing to do w/ eachother.

technically, SAP is an application level program, which sits on an O/S that sits on a set of API/Hardware Drivers which is different depending on the hardware platform.

Mainframe is just a type of server, just as noncommodity servers. Difference? Price, size, expandability, and support. It all depends on what O/S is running on it and make sure it is supported by SAP. Nothing worse than spending 1 million dollar for hardware running on an unsupported O/S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I am querying about the steps involved in the integration of SAP NW with legacy systems. I am new to Integration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah ok. Well, legacy system integration is no different then integrating with the latest and newest SAP NW 7.1. It's just a system, w/ a set of ways to talk to it, and you just make SAP work with it.

Good news here is that, SAP supports an huge array of communication methods. And, worst case, you can always go delimited/flat file based communication. Here inhouse we do a lot of delimited file communication w/ our legacy systems, works just fine.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Do we need use XI to integrate with Legacy ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

You don't need it, but it would help a lot.

XI (or PI, or XI, same thing, SAP keeps on flipping between these two names) is a data integration (transformation and routing) tool. As with any data integration tools, it is there for purpose of connecting two systems (e.g. Legacy + SAP) and establish communication between the two of them. When setting somethign like this up, you have to configure both end of the integration tool.

However, with XI, since it's a SAP application, the SAP integration portion is already taken care off of for you (majority of the work). So ... you start with this:

SAP <-> PI

Then, the only piece you have to create is:

PI <-> Legacy

Then, when it's all said and done:

SAP <-> PI <-> Legacy

Edited by: Kevin Lin on Aug 22, 2008 2:01 PM