cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trapping AF errors using Alert framework in XI 3.0 SP13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to setup alert categories and rules to trap AF related errors - like a SOAP receiver adapter failing to call a webservice etc...

I came across earlier threads that mentioned, alerts will not be triggered involving AF in SP13 - in other words, one has to be on SP14 inorder for the alerts involving AF to be triggered - irrespective of all the settings being done to trigger alerts in SP13 ( End-to-End monitoring, SXMSALERT_PROCESS_DATA_GET etc )

Is the above statement true ??

Thanks for your time in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand

My objective is to send alerts regarding errors on the AF as emails to specific business users.

With this CCMS based alert monitoring in SP13, and by defining a CCMS - alert category based alert rule, can I send the alert on the AF - trapped by CCMS to invidual email ids over the internet ?

Naveen, if you happen to catch this thread, please provide your inputs on this question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karthik,

Having read this thread of yours and based on the previous threads of urs i gather that you are implementing large number of webserivces and you want to be able to provide meaningful information to the business users about any failures to the webservice.

having done a large SOA based project with over 40webservices, i personally feel returning the exception back to the caller about the failure is more information. In ur case since ur are using .net, im would say advice the .net developers to catch the SOAP exception when making the call to XI webserice. When an error occurs at any point in XI, standard Exception object will only tell u "Server Exception", but if had caught soap exception, you will get the whole detail as to what excatly happened. We have been heavily relied on this and has been a big success, if an RFC call fails due to some authorizations, the calles gets this message back.

Well those were my thoughts based on my experience. You be the Judge.

cheers,

naveen

Message was edited by: Naveen Pandrangi

Message was edited by: Naveen Pandrangi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen

Appreciate sharing your thoughts with me...

While it is true that we have a lot of synchronous webservices hosted by XI & being called from a *net environment, my question on implementing the CCMS alert framework on AF was for a different scenario.

We have POs going from a SRM system through XI to vendors. Now some of these vendors expect a synchronous call to their systems with the PO information( http receiver adapter ) and they get back with a technical acknowledgement . Some others expect Pos to be delivered to their systems asynchronously. This currently workflow has been implemented in XI 2.0 almost 2 years back. I am looking to move this to XI 3.0. In the XI 2.0 based solution, in the async communication cases,we did not have alert mechanisms to trigger alerts to highlight whether Pos have reached vendor systems successfully or not.

In XI 3.0, SP13 - our current platform, I am investigating whether the following solution can be implemented : let me know your thoughts :

An alert mechanism that can trigger based on errors on the AF ( the receiver http adapter will fail if its not able to deliver the PO to the vendor sites, right ? )- these alerts could be sent as emails to the business users - that their POs did not reach the vendor systems - even after retries....So, I am talking about implementing this alert based emailing based on errors on the AF only for an asynchronous scenario .

Let me know if I have not been clear in any part of my description.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kathik,

Since in SP13 you dont have AF level rules in RWb, and CCMS alerts on AE is a very general ie not scenarios specific. The only option u r left with is to do the email in the BPM. when in the send step of a BPM if you encounter failures after retry, you can have logic to send out an email to the respective groups.

There may be other design solutions too. But these are my two sents( for points )

let me know if you need more info

Cheers,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naveen

Just to clarify one of your points :

<<Since in SP13 you dont have AF level rules in RWb, and CCMS alerts on AE is a very general ie not scenarios specific.>>

I believe you do have the ability in SP13 - RWB to create alert rules pointing to specific adapter types ( SOAP etc ). The UI facilitates this, but I guess what you mean is that the alert in AF will not be triggered based on this. Is my understanding right ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

here is an extract on how to do

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e5/5d1741b393f26fe10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Configuring CCMS Alerts for the Adapter Engine

If processing of a message on the Adapter Engine fails, the message state is changed to faulty. To notify administrators immediately of such processing failures, they can be propagated as alerts to CCMS. As CCMS is the SAP standard interface to third-party monitoring tools, these failure events may also become visible in non-SAP monitoring tools.

Configuration Steps

To make use of Adapter Engine alerts, you must configure the connection to CCMS as follows:

1. Make sure that the J2EE engine on which the Adapter Engine is running is configured to be monitored by the central CCMS system.

To do so, execute transaction RZ20 on your central monitor server. There, the J2EE engine should be visible in the CCMS monitor under SAP J2EE Monitor Templates ® All Systems. If not, follow the steps described in the Supportability Setup Guide for SAP NetWeaver 04 on SAP Service Marketplace at service.sap.com/nw04operation ® Cross-NW.

2. Check whether the Adapter Engine is configured to report errors to CCMS.

To do so, start the Visual Administrator and select service SAP XI AF Core. The value of property CCMSEnabled must be set to true (in lower case letters). If it is not, change the property value to true and restart the service.

To verify that the setting is effective, select the Visual Administrator Monitoring service. Under Root ® Applications, you should see a node for the Adapter Engine.

cheers,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Yes, AF alerts using Alert Rules in RWB is available only from SP14. Infact we had raised note on this with SAP and we got the reply saying it is available only from SP14.

There is another interesting thread on trapping adapter engine errors using CCMS.

I have not tried it , may be you can check with naveen for more information on this..

(Check last few posts in this thread).

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand

Thanks for your quick response. The procedure for setting up CCMS based alerts seems to be really long !!! To have this alerts on the AF on the current XI box ( SP13 ) was a nice-to-have for us. Now, with such work on the basis & application side involved to make it work, I am in a re-thinking mode !!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Setting up CCMS is not that hard. Infact i have a two part CCMS weblog, detailing step by step. Here are the links.

Part-1

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/24/xi-configuring-ccms-monitoring-for-xi-part-i

Part-2

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/12/05/xi-grmg-customizing-for-xi-ccms-heartbeat-monitoring-part-ii

cheers,

naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kartik,

CCMS will anyway be helpful for monitoring Heartbeat of java components like IR, ID, Mapping Runtime and XI QRFC queues whcih are not part of XI Alert Framework...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/2777. [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]

Yes, there is some risk involved , unless someone has tried configuring CCMS for Adapter Engine alerts and ensured that it is working as expected in SP13.

There are few weblogs for CCMS setup have look at these...

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/11/24/xi-configuring-ccms-monitoring-for-xi-part-i

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/12/05/xi-grmg-customizing-for-xi-ccms-heartbeat-monitoring-part-ii

/people/aravindh.prasanna/blog/2005/12/23/configuring-scenario-specific-e-mail-alerts-in-xi-ccms-part--1

/people/aravindh.prasanna/blog/2005/12/24/configuring-scenario-specific-e-mail-alerts-in-xi-ccms-part-2

Regards

Anand