cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying take whole offline db backup : Error no free space

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In our Quality system I am trying take whole offline db backup ( with out redo logs). In the log file found the error saying there is no free space in the Drive:I:\orace\SID\sapbackup.minimum 27246.161mb( i think it is 27GB) required. But actually total drive (I) space is 59.5GB and free space is 59.3GB. Suggest me how to resolve this.

windows os, oracle 9.2.0 SAP: ECC5.0.

one more thing... our QAS db is running in No Archive log mode. In db12 I do observe that overview of redolog files not yet backed up are 300.when I schedule only redolog backup in DB13 i am getting error message no offline redolog files found for processing. but in db12 showing 300redo log files. How can I take redo log backup. Is this bcoz of db is in Noarchive log mode. plz suggest. In initsid.ora file parameter is showing logarchive_start= true. but in SQL> i queried the log_mode , i got Noarchive log. Is there any way to change the db to Archive mode.( if we bring db from open status to mount , we can change the db log mode) without downing the SAP.

Please suggest.

thanks

shrinivas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member1351727
Active Participant
0 Kudos

HI Shrinivas,

You have to be clear with the requirement.

You wanted to take offline backup of the QAS system.

Later you are running command for online backup...

For online backup you have to run in archive mode it is must.

And for offline backup it is not required.

Anyway you have got downtime to do the offline backup so if you want to change it to archive mode then want to start the backup taht is also possible as you have downtime. And Shambo has explained most of the things..

Pls read in the below links about archive log mode as well as backup ...

it will of help to find which way to do ...and what fits better for your situation.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/A58617_01/server.804/a58238/ch21_bac.htm

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/admin/backup_recovery/archive_vs_noarchive_log.html

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In our Quality system I am trying take whole offline db backup ( with out redo logs). In the log file found the error saying there is no free space in the Drive:I:\orace\SID\sapbackup.minimum 27246.161mb( i think it is 27GB) required. But actually total drive (I) space is 59.5GB and free space is 59.3GB. Suggest me how to resolve this.

You can take the backup on External Backup device like Tape Or Disk. To do so you have to change the below parameters in init<SID>.sap profile file.

backup_type = offline

backup_dev_type = Disk (Default---> Tape)

backup_root_dir = <Path For Backup Directory> (Default --->$SAPDATA_HOME/sapbackup)

OR Only Change the parameter

backup_root_dir =Give <drive:\directory> path on which the required sapce is available. (Default --->$SAPDATA_HOME/sapbackup)

one more thing... our QAS db is running in No Archive log mode. when I schedule only redolog backup in DB13 i am getting error message no offline redolog files found for processing. but in db12 showing 300redo log files. .

As your databse is running on No Archive Log Mode (As per SAP Best Pactices your database should run in archive log mode) the offline redolog files are not generated so dont worry about this error.

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

How can I take redo log backup. Is this bcoz of db is in Noarchive log mode. plz suggest. In initsid.ora file parameter is showing logarchive_start= true. but in SQL> i queried the log_mode , i got Noarchive log. Is there any way to change the db to Archive mode.( if we bring db from open status to mount , we can change the db log mode) without downing the SAP

As suggested before change the Archive Log mode using BR*tools & Restart is require to take effect.

Thanks,

Shambo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas

Please check the parameter backup_root_dir in the init<sid>.sap

and you can use BRTOOLS to change to archivelog mode

1.call brtools

2.select 1(Instance Management)

3.then 3(Alter database instance)

4.continue using c

5.select 3 set archive log mode

regards

George Varghese

Edited by: George Varghese on Jul 31, 2008 10:14 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

I went to BRtools option. as you mentioned. I set db mode archive.

and by using option 4)backup and db copy 1)database backup here i have given profile ondskCQS.sap, disk, online.

once I choose continue it is throwing error for online backup db should be in archive log mode. and for redo logs it is saying no offline redo log files found for backup.

and I tried with cmd option also.

C:\> brbackup -u / -c force -t online -m all -p ondskCQS.sap -a -c force -p ondskCQS.sap -sd

it is saying same error db should be archive log mode and no redo log files found for backup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Backup root dir = i:\oracle\CQS\sapbackup which has 59.5GB free space. and maintained in initCQS.sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shriniwas,

login to sqlplus and execute command: archive log list

This will give you the current log mode of the database.

Cheers,

Nisch

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Nisch,

I connected to SQL. when i run sql>archive log list

it is showing

database log mode No archive log

Automatic archival enabled

Archive destination E:\oracle\CQS\oraarch\CQSarch

oldonline log sequence 8260

current log sequence 8263

but in cqsarch there is only one file .CQSarchARC03118.001 with 0kb.

do u have option of setting db to archivelog mode ( as it is already mentioned in initsid.ora file as logarchive_start=true, but we need to restart the instance to recognize this)can we do this without downing the sap.?