cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification needed on deletion/archiving of open question threads

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

I read Michael Schwandtu2019s "Next steps on improving quality" [blog |https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/10171] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];which states that old unanswered threads will be deleted/archived.

As an immediate step we have limited the number of open = unanswered threads
to 10 per member. Beyond that we plan to delete / archive all open questions older 
than 6 months up from late summer. So please go into your control panel in the
 forums and either 1) close your question(s) and provide the points (if it makes sense)
 or detail your question or simply do nothing and wait for us to delete all open question.

I hope that threads with at least one response are not permanently deleted even if they remain unanswered. Many of these types of unanswered threads have good suggestions or the actual answer. Some of the original questions posted may be by people who no longer visit SDN and wont be able to close their questions.

What will happen to such types of threads? Will they permanently be removed or archived somewhere else and still be available for consulting? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan:

So long -:) I'm not exactly sure about what SCN is going to do...But IMHO...Only thread with no answers at all are going to be deleted...

In Moderation for example...When a thread is bad...We locked it if it's had at least one reply...and delete it f it doesn't have any replies...Let's way for an official SAP answer...

BTW, are you going to Vegas this year? Would be cool to meet you again...

Greetings,

Blag.

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Stefan:

>

> So long -:) I'm not exactly sure about what SCN is going to do...But IMHO...Only thread with no answers at all are going to be deleted...

>

> In Moderation for example...When a thread is bad...We locked it if it's had at least one reply...and delete it f it doesn't have any replies...Let's way for an official SAP answer...

>

Thats a great idea.

> BTW, are you going to Vegas this year? Would be cool to meet you again...

>

> Greetings,

>

> Blag.

Probably not, as I went the past two years. Have fun and we'll probably meet up at a future event!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

as we do not have experience with this process yet we will start carefully and learn into it. 'At risk' are definitely threads with not a single reply and older than 6months. Unclosed threads with only 1-2 replies + low read count + no points + are older than 6 months would be the next candidates; but this is an area we have to do some more investigations with moderators and community to refine the process.

Parallel we will improve the forum search by showing replies, points and closed which will help you to better recognize the value upfront.

Stefan-EA
Contributor
0 Kudos

>

Unclosed threads with only 1-2 replies + low read count + no points + are older than 6 months would be the next candidates; but this is an area we have to do some more investigations with moderators and community to refine the process.

These types of threads need to be kept or moved to an archive. Even if they have a low read count, they may be still useful. Some threads may deal with obscure topics that are useful, but only to a small subset of the community.

How about adding a rating system to threads? Threads that are deemed of low quality by the community could be quarantined and then reviewed by a moderator. The moderator could then choose to have the thread removed.