cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

background job

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

In SM37 I ve been executing a abap program(report) and then send it to spool. can anybody tell me what is the purpose of it?actually i m very new to this field.

thanx,

smita

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

There are some transaction which will be more time consuming or resource, we set the same to background job and schedule the same. Once the job is executed, we would like to know the log.. how many are successful or error, so this will be written into the spool. We can see the spool with transaction SP01 if we have the spool request number.

Eg: Payroll uploading

Prase

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanth,

thanx for ur answer but what do u mean by "how many are successful or error, so this will be written into the spool."

As far as i know i ve been asked to execute an abap pog (report) in SM37.aftr that i had selected a job and then selected SPOOL(to display spool list).aftr that i select a spool request and then click on ABAP LIST.Aftr that i get a graphical view of the spool request which in my case is showing the credit summary for a period.

To view this credit summary can we also execute a report bcoz we also hv a Zreport.can we run that in foreground? or is it time consuming to run the report and so we r running the same report in the background using SM37??

Plz reply

will surely reward pts

Regds,

Smita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any transaction that take more then a specified time (say 3 minutes) shows a RUN TIME ERROR (or ABAP dump). Talk to BASIS to no more about it.

So the transaction which may take a lot of time are executed as background job as a precaution. Certain standard transaction like say AJAB are only executed as background job (though test run can be done online) for this reason only.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in SM37 we generally execute some funtion modules. so what you are doing is to execute a piece of code and generate spools which are later printed.

regards

sadhu kishore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Smita,

T.code SM37 you will get the Background job status like Scheduled, Released,REady,Active,Finished,Cancelled. To schedule a job you have to go to SM38.This program no where deals with the spool as far as i know.For spool you have to check SP01.