cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workload Analysis on 4.6C

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I'm doing a performance monitoring on 4.6C environment with SQL 2000 (SP4), 2GB of RAM (6 GB Swap Space) and Pentium III processor.The user are complaining that their daily transactions and reports are taking forever and sometime can lead to ABAP Dump error.So far I've captured from ST02, ST04, ST06 and here are the reports :

ST02:

Field Description, Program, CUA, Screen, Export/Import are highlight with red in Swaps column.(although the Hitratio are 99% and Max. use are less than In Memory in SAP Memory)

ST04:

Hit Ratio : 95% and CPU idle > CPU Busy

ST06:

Physical Mem avail : 2096616 KB

Physical Mem Free : 706572

Questions :

1 ) Are there any guides / Rules of thumb that I could follow from the report above?

2 ) I will check on ST03N later, is there any guide that I can follow ( i.e user transaction, memory, etc ) since the list are quite tedious and time consuming.

3 ) Comparing to SQL Server 2005, are there any improvement between SQL Server 2000 in terms of performance?

4 ) Any guidelines other from those 4 TCode?

5 ) As for SQL Server 2000, is there any tuning that I can done with ( so far that I know just DBCC CHECKDB )

6 ) Can I put an additional swap space ?

Any information from you all are very much appreciated.Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you for the valuable information but I have another questions :

- in ST02, why is it the Swaps Column are getting red even when the server is idle ( no user log in ). Is it because there's a lot of batch jobs?

- Any housekeeping that I should run besides the standard SAP operations? (i.e clear log, spool etc)

Former Member
0 Kudos

in ST02, why is it the Swaps Column are getting red even when the server is idle ( no user log in ). Is it because there's a lot of batch jobs?

=>Yes, you do not need to worry about the Red until the swaps are over 1000 or users are complaining of performance issues.

Any housekeeping that I should run besides the standard SAP operations? (i.e clear log, spool etc)

=> Follow SAP Note 16083 - Standard jobs, reorganization jobs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Regardless how "fine tuned" your SAP system is at this time, you will still be undersized for the amount of users you have. The best thing right now it to do a quick sizing of your SAP environment and do a hardware upgrade. Afterwards when your environment is stable, then look at fine tuning the SAP and SQL for better performance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let's start with how many users do you have on this system?

Also, what type of dumps?

When the long running transaction is occurring, did you run a SE30 or ST05 to trace it? What does it say?

What type of platform are you on? 32bit? X64?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

Tq for the quick reply...here's the answer for your questions :

Let's start with how many users do you have on this system?

- roughly bout 100++ users

Also, what type of dumps?

- mostly are TIME_OUT error ( standard and Z programs )

What type of platform are you on? 32bit? X64?

- 32 bits

I haven't done any ST05 nor SE30 yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, for clarification, you mean 100 concurrent users?

Also, is this all one a single server? How many servers to you have?

The TIMEOUT errors are most likely because your server is too slow and lack in resources or programs are not optimized, which results in the work process exceeding rdisp/max_wprun_time and in case of SAPGUI connections rdisp/gui_auto_logout. You may want to check the values of these two parameters. However, don't set them to infiniti either, because you don't want a situation where all work processes are running forever.

First things first, you need to analyze the program when it's running in a TEST environment. First, run SE30 on it to determine whether it's an ABAP or SQL issue. if it's SQL, run ST05 to see if you can create DB indexes to speed up the queries. if ABAP, check for "modify", internal loops, large internal tables, etc. to begin with.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For the concurrent user its about 50 - 60 user daily.

The current Production Server are running on cluster ( active / passive )

First things first, you need to analyze the program when it's running in a TEST environment. First, run SE30 on it to determine whether it's an ABAP or SQL issue. if it's SQL, run ST05 to see if you can create DB indexes to speed up the queries. if ABAP, check for "modify", internal loops, large internal tables, etc. to begin with.

- You mean I have to run the program on Development server first? When user are running this..will there be a results after I monitor this on SE30? Any guide that I can create the DB indexes?

Former Member
0 Kudos

50 to 60 concurrent users on a 32bit server with 2GB RAM is WAY WAY undersized.

For something like this, in order to run smoothly in a productive environment, I would not go anything less than:

2 servers, each X64 with 16GB of ram. Create a new cluster out of these two servers, run SQL with 7GB of RAM on one node, and SAP with 7GB RAM on the other.

As for program performance analysis, yes, you have to run this in a non-production environment. Unless you can work with your production users to trace their work while they are working. But, it is strongly recommended that you do all testing / performance tuning in a non-production environment. The DEV environment is not ok, typically this environment doesn't have the hardware or data of a production-alike environment. I would recommend a test environment, w/ similar hardware and recent data from production - this environment will give you the most accurate performance tuning results.

SE30 is a transaction which you run to trace transactions or transctions in flight. Look it up on google, help.sap.com, or sdn on how to use it. ST05 will give you the execution path of specific queries. Out of those execution paths, you can create additional indexes on SAP tables (ABAP DEV job, but should be coordinated with DBA and you - large indexes will take downtime to create in SQL 2000).

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would also add here that if you have a solution manager system, run Early watch report to analyze the performance of this instance and being SAP customer, you are eligible for a free performance check once a year and they will report on the bottlenecks on your system.

Cheers,

Nisch