cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ITS 6.20 remote installation Linux - Windows.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

What I want to do is perform a remote installation of the ITS, using SAPinst. As per the instructions in the "SAP@web installation Guide", I've installed SAPinst(--nogui) on the remote host and then started it(it was waiting for connection on port 21212). Then I installed SAPinst on my Windows-based workstation(both the remote and I are in the LAN).

When I start SAPinst on my workstation and point it to the remote host and port, it indicates a login is being attempted but within about 20sec I see a time-out message on the remote, and SAPinst on my workstation prompts me for another host/post. I see the following in the 'instgui.log' file on my workstation:

2006.01.11 09:34:40: Connecting to server50:21212

2006.01.11 09:34:40: Connected to server50:21212

Socket[addr=server50/221.6.1.240,port=21212,localport=2042]

2006.01.11 09:34:40: Connecting to server50:21213

2006.01.11 09:34:41: Not connected.

When 'sapinst' times out on the remote host, it does suggest checking the version of the GUI being used on the workstation. 'SAPinst' says it requires at least version 1.3.17. The version on my workstation is 1.1.7. If this is the problem though, I don't know where to find a newer version of sapinst for windows

The remote host is a Linux box. I installed SAPinst from "Sap server components 6.20 compilation 5". After the installation, I applied a patch(sapinst62020_1-10001657.sar) so that SAPinst would start on the remote.

I installed SAPinst on my workstation from the same CD. I suspect that I need to apply a patch(for Windows) on my workstation too, but I don't know where to find this? I've looked in same areas on SDN where I downloaded the patches for Linux from, but can't find anything for Windows.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kevin,

the easiest way to get a compatible version of SAPinst for Windows would be to download ITS 6.20 patch 20 for Windows (as that contains exactly the same version of SAPinst as the corresponding Linux patch). "Starting" that patch will first install SAPinst and then automatically start the ITS installation for the Windows server. Simply abort that (second) installation; you will still have the SAPinst entries in the start menu, enabling you to start "SAPinst GUI" only.

Regards,

Jan