cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document management system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I am in process of doing configuration for DMS.I do aware the steps of DMS but not able to track how the version works.When I run CV01N .....Always the version says 00 .My question is whetehr the version updates automatically or we have manually change the version at each time?

Wht is need to using this versions?

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

if you are going to change the DIR with CV02N. The Version will not be automatically updated. We have to manually update by

Choosing Document --> New version from Menu

if you have linked any object. it will ask for conformation for coping the linked object.

if you want to create new version directly choose CV01N , Given the correct document number, Type,part & then version number of your choice. The thing is that the previous data's will not be copied

if you enter the latest version while creating DIR in CV01N.it will ask for conformation for coping as in case of CV02n

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Vijay,

Run the transaction SPRO and click on the following path

Cross-Application Components> Document Management>Control Data-->Define Document Types

Now select any document type and click on Details

In the Attributes, you will find the Checkbox 'Version Assignment. Ticking this will ensure that when you try to create a version from CV01N, the next version is selected automatically.

For version numbering scheme, you will find a field 'version Number Increment' where you can select appropriate version numbering type,

Regards,

MPa Team

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I`ve created once document lets say 1000 with version 00 and part 00.

If i want to maintain the version for this document...do I need to go to CV01n

and give the same document number as 1000 and change the version as 01?

I am not sure whether I am doing right or not...I changed the version as 01 and try to modify my document in version 01 and save it and again I go back to version 00 and my chnages were reflected in tht version 00 too.Is tht right?

Versions are basically maintained for any updated changes?

I do configure by chceking the version assignment in SPRO.

Please let me know.

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

for creating new document version from document number 1000, doc part 00, doc version 00,

just go to cv01n, enter the details,

doc num : 1000

doc type :

doc part : 00

doc version : 00

if doc no 1000 is already present under doc part 00 and doc version 00 then SAP automatically detects the last version and prompts u for the next version.

from prompt if u select yes then new version document will be created.

if you enter another number, say 1001 instead of 1000 and if 1001 doc is not yet created then automatically version 00 doc will be created.

whn u do any changes in doc ver 01 and save, the changes shud nt reflect in ver 00.

if u are gettng the changes reflect thn if posible pls tell the configuration wat u have done.

usually content versions are used for tracking the changes withing the same document and same version.

the attachment initially saved will be in version 00 and if want to track changes done in the doc thn u can save in other version 01.

for this u need to check the box for content version under some particular status in status network.

versions can be used for tracking changes but could be related to the entire attributes of the document.

for ex: u can create a new version document copied from previous version and u can change the description, attachment etc..

hope this helps you.

Thank You,

Manoj

Pls. reward if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Thanks for your valuable response.I undertsand the version now but when I tried to create the new version for the same document number......it asked a pop up ...you want to copy the prevois version...when I say continue...I can see only the object likns copied not the orginal path file....when i try to do tht ..it says source and destination are same...so it means we can copy only the object links or some configs needs to be done for the same ?

And also if possible please throw some light on document status...our rqmt is if the doc status is in released status...it cannot be chnaged.I did it in spro of putting S for ststua locked in Relase status..but still i can able to open the document and can able to change....wht to do for this?

Please help.

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

whenever you create a document from the existing document, new version gets created and also all the attributes for the previous version gets copied to the newly created version.

for ex. object links, originals etc.

in your case if original file is not getting copied then check whether you have checked in the original in the last version, also even if you have not checked in the original in the last version the new version while creating will prompt you saying dat the original is not yet checked in and it will ask you whether u need this original in ur new version.

even if this is not the problem then you check whether you have maintained doc type for original application file in dc30.

Thank You,

Manoj

Pls reward if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I dont know where I need to check the originals in my previous version but even I haven`t done that..It ask for a pop up saying orignals has not been checked and you want to do it now...I just clicked the check mark and it says both source filename and target file name are identical and doesnt allow me to move on....any configs needs to be done ?

Still I have some issues on Verisons also...When I try to check the content version to prohibit the changes in all the versions...but it throws me an error somehting on data archinving related to content version.

I need to resolve the following issues

1. Changes should not update in all the versions if we try to change in latest version.

2. Originals should also copy when I am creating the new version on the same document number

3.File should get locked when the Doc status is in release status.

Please advice

Vijay