cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Workflow - Email log

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I'm playing around with the email functionality of MDM Workflow and got a question. My workflow runs fine, but my emails are not being received.

What I was looking for was a place to start the investigation : I would expect that at least some errors are written into some logfiles. Anybody knows if there are logfiles for this type of errors ?

Thx,

Dirk

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

Doing setting in mds.ini is not sufficient. It is required that MDM server should talk to mail server. In order to setup this, you need to make them talk each other and this is the way it can be done.

You need to define ip address and name of the mail server in one of the windos setup file. What I have done to resolve this problem is as follows:

locate the file hosts (WINNT -> system32 -> drivers -> etc -> hosts. You need to open in notepad).

Read the instructions mentioned in the file as

This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one space.

With this entry, we are linking mail server with application.

This has resolved my problem. Thanks to my colleague Chintamani for probing into mail server further.

Secondly, it is not necessary that the notification can come only from the owner, it depends on at what stage notification is setup. Action owner can send notification as we configure the same during notification setup.

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I found some XML-based logfiles in the following folder on the server: C:\Program Files\SAP MDM 5.5\Server\Reports

The logfiles do indicate that there is a problem, unfortunately not very detailed:

" Error: Could not send e-mail

[10016 : A Complex Workflow : Notify]. "

I think it's related to email permitions ( combination of the mail server and the sending email account, however some more information would be usefull in such reports.

Anyone knows if logging-levels can be increased?

Thx,

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the fast reply :

I checked the post you mentioned earlier as well. It did had some details and I did a similar configuration. I do not like that stuff is not arriving without proper notification... What if for example the mail server is temporarily out of order... As such, I think that anything that fails needs to be reported somewhere...

Regards,

Dirk

aaron_thomas
Participant
0 Kudos

I'm also experiencing the same issues as Dirk. I have configured mds.ini and assigned users email address in console. My workflow completes but the notify step does not send email notification.

If I go to the Console and look at the reports for my repository, there is an entry with type=workflow and the details indicate the following:

<b>Error: Could not send e-mail [10004 : Email_Test : Notify].</b>

Email_Test is the name of my workflow. Each time I run the workflow another entry gets added to the details of this report just like the one above except the number (10004) gets incremented (10005, 10006).

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

<b>Tip:</b> Once you set your mds.ini file with your Email Server, restart your MDM Server box. Eventhough this is not documented, I got my issue resolved by doing so.

<b>Another important points:</b>

1. As far as my knowledge is concerned, Email notification works only with SMTP Servers.

2. Eventhough all the above is done, if the SMTP is blocked in your organisation by a firewall, workflow may not work !!

All the best !!!

Rajani

Mark63
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Dirk,

There is a similar thread about workflow in the forum. In fact, it's not about log files, but you may check

Regards, Markus